5.0 out of 5 stars Hat can I say?
Published on 11 May 2005 by Alistair Shaw

1.0 out of 5 stars heavy going
I was looking forward to reading this book as I have just come back from Cuba. Firstly this book was very thick and heavy, which made it quite difficult to hold. I fell asleep reading it in bed and it hit me on the head and soon woke me up. I also found it very hard to read. I did skip pages to see if it got any better but found it the same throughout. I was quite...
Published on 13 Sep 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Hat can I say?, 11 May 2005
This review is from: Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Paperback)
Before reading the book I knew little of Che. After reading the book you are so suprised how much effort has went into making the book. It is brilliantly researched and thoroughly documented. I take my Hat off to Jon Lee for he has painted a great unbiased picture of the situation in Latin America at the time as well as showing the world who Che really was. What you learn from reading the book is that the world isn't as it seems and we in the Western world are being held back from hearing many truths. This book is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive account, 4 Nov 2004
This review is from: Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Paperback)
Simply stated this book is immense. An unbiased account of one the most important historical figures of South America. Not only does Anderson provide an in-depth biography of Guevara but he also delves into the history of the time thus we get first rate writing on Khrushchev, Castro, the nuclear missile crisis, the bay of pigs. Also gives a great insight into the world of international ambassador's and diplomats and inner workings of the U.N and other international bodies. A book that cannot be praised enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterful portrayal of an extraordinary life, 15 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Paperback)
This is a brilliant biography of one of the most complex and compelling characters of the twentieth century. Che's life is dissected in great detail, from his asthmatic childhood to his murder in the Bolivian jungle at the age of 39.
Much that is written about Che is ideologically driven, trying to either deify or demonise the Argentine revolutionary. To his credit, Anderson succeeds in maintaining a rational approach to his subject, making this book readable to friends and foes of Che alike.
Che was the ultimate revolutionary icon of his era. Reading this book has given me some understanding of the man that existed behind the myth. Read it !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely Inspirational, 17 Feb 2006
M. Brierley "matt_b_82" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Paperback)
I too did not know that much about Cuba or Che Guevara before reading this book. It was recommended to me by a work collegue as the best reference to his life on the market, and i wasnt dissapointed.
The attention to detail that the author shows is fantastic. It took me over 3 months to read, but i was glued the whole time, following Che as he developed his ideologies, his personality and his passion to make a difference for those people who are most exploited in this world.
But he doesn't shy away from contentious subjects such as the so called atrocities caried out by the Guerillas in their campaign or by Castro's regime following the revolutions victory in 59.
This book was a real eye opener to American foreign policy, especially in today's volitile global situation, and does nothing improve opinions on those in charge of the worlds largest military and economic power.
Whatever your opinion on Che, there isnt a doubt (in my mind) that this book shows him as someone, whose entire existence was devoted to helping the human race, something we can all aspire to.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 25 April 2007
This review is from: Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Paperback)
Anderson has written a massive biography, starting when Che was a child, he takes us from his formative years, his revolutionary awakening on his famous motorcycle trips, his revolutionary battles, through to his death in Bolivia. The book is brought alive with fascinating details and interviews, and previously unpublished writings which give a thorough insight into not only the man, but the political climate of the Cold War, and the unsavoury dealings of the CIA and KGB. It does not matter whether you agree with Che's political stance or actions, this book gives a slice of recent history which is essential to the understanding of the times he lived in, and how we got to where we are today. Excellent research and extremely readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best to date, 12 Feb 2010
Mazzin El-khazragi (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Paperback)
As with the recollection of most iconic symbols of the human struggle against injustice and tyranny, the truth is often blurred by romantic historians of the left who elevate people like Che to almost superhuman status, or by those of the right who wish to demonise any rebel who dared to say enough is enough.
Jon Lee Anderson has not taken the middle road option and tried to be "balanced". If he had, the book would have been, like political correctness, a complete farce. Instead he has shown Che for the man he was. His frailties, contradictions and shortcomings, like all of us, are laid bare for all to see.
The series of events, both personal and otherwise, that turned a sickly middle class child into the uncompromising revolutionary with a will of steel are meticulously detailed. I admired Che before as one of the most charismatic and selfless revolutionaries of our time. I was wrong, he is the most charismatic and selfless revolutionary of our time. This book is the most comprehensive document of Che's life to date. I highly recommend the book to anyone who is interested not only in the life of Che Guevara, but also the history of Latin America.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 1 Jun 2006
Mr. M. N. Baraza "Dr. Masha" (Nairobi) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Paperback)
Well what can I say, this is the only definitive analysis of Che's life I have come across and despite my reserved opinions, it is a very frank, fair and even candid piece; I appreciate the effort and meticulous detail into which the author, Mr. John Anderson delved in bringing us this work of literature which, inspite of my extremely cautious attitude, does much more good than harm. He has genuinely attempted to potray this man, so mythical and misunderstood, so known and yet unknown, so contradictorily glorified in the same commercailisation he seemed to detest (yet the same commercialisation that alerted me to this work!)...yes, this book has blessed me with an insight into the heart and soul of a man that all looking to be of any 'social worth' or to make a dent of difference in this world, can only hope to fathom. Everything taken in it's self it seems less than prudent that I should so thoroughly praise and/or rely on a piece by a journalist but Mr. Anderson's methodology does reveal that perhaps us academics ought to take abit of time in properly investigating context, in order to deliver balanced pieces of work, academic or not. This book is a must read, on a man who should be an inspiration for us all, a man who we can only hope to immitate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't praise it enough, 15 Jan 2000
This review is from: Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Paperback)
Possibly the best book I've read- it's thorough, accessible and objective. Not only does it detail Che's life, it also studies realpolitik in action, with the disgusting exploits of the CIA as they assassinate, and help to violently overthrow democratically elected governments when they disagree with the result, showing their true beliefs are those of property not freedom. The events of Guatemala, Chile, the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban missile crisis, Sino-soviet split, and more are all documented. Famous figures such as Malcolm X, JFK, Evita, Nasser, Nehru, Mao all crop up too. Overall this should be considered a compulsory read. Granted, if you're intimidated by large book, this won't be for you- but then again what would Che think of someone who's afraid of an inanimate paper based product?

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced, extensive and well researched, 1 Aug 2006
Mr. Paul J. Bradshaw (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Paperback)
How many people have a poster of Che Guevara without knowing anything about the man? This book is extensive and extremely well researched, and essential for anyone who wants a balanced account of the iconic figure.

Like any biography, you have to wade through a generally uninteresting youth before the action begins, but from the beginnings of the revolution in Cuba, through to doomed adventures in the Congo and Bolivia, this is a fascinating account. What comes through is a picture of a single-minded and strong-willed man whose principles sometimes came at the expense of lives. This is neither hagiography nor character assassination.

In addition you get a rare insight into South American history and the rival politics of USA-USSR-China.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exhaustive study and yet still very readable., 8 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Paperback)
THE complete book on Che, exhaustive, well researched and written, and yet the book is easy and enjoyable to read. Some parts of the book make it difficult to put down as the story of Che's life unfolds..

Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life
Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson (Paperback - 1 Oct 1997)
12.59