"Don't you hate it when this happens?"

That's what is written on a card left in place of Johnny X's house, which someone has somehow managed to steal. This is how Tim Scott's book "outrageous fortune" opens; to all of us who use to watch Dare To Believe on late night ITV (back when it was on) Tim Scott is of course known to us as writing, directing and acting (Dutch cyclist, stoked surfer, cave man etc) in Dare To Believe, however recently he has produced a new and interesting book and has another on the way this year by the strange name of "love in the time of the fridges".

The main reason I bought outrageous fortune was because I'm a big fan of Dare to believe, and I knew Tim Scott would produce an exciting and funny book. I wasn't disappointed. As soon as you pick the book up you are transported into a world where everything is not quite right, but regardless of the fact that the world seems up side down no one seems to mind. This bizarre universe where elevators tell jokes, office photocopiers have nervous breakdowns and commit suicide, and a bar call "inconvenient" where it takes hours to get served, suburbs are named after music genres such as "jazz" "waa waa" and the very silly "Christmas singles" suburb.

It's a thoroughly enjoyable book and you are genuinely concerned about the main character (Johnny X) and whether he will survive in this strange world of his. The book is well written and extremely funny, especially the talking elevator bits. There's a lot here for DTB fan's, but the book isn't just a re-run of old DTB jokes, it's the same Tim Scott humour and creativity but with a fresh slice of ingenuity, if there was a new DTB series (I wish) I'm sure some of the concepts in this book (such as the elevators that tell jokes) would feature in it.

However as I mentioned the book isn't just sketches from DTB, occasionally there are a few references to dare to believe in it which are surprising and good to see that Tim Scott hasn't forgot about the show. Its one of the most original and clever books I've read in quite some time, and for people who don't know DTB it is a book worth looking into.

Defiantly worth buying for fan's of the show and even so more for people who haven't heard of Tim Scott, and at the reasonable price of £7.00 how can you refuse...that is unless you don't want to be a small bookcase?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again