5.0 out of 5 stars Lebbon... from novelist to writer....
Published on 24 Oct 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but sometimes slow, dark fantasy
"Dusk" is a very original novel of dark, epic fantasy. There are a lot of interesting ideas on show here, and the premise itself is an intriguing one.

Published on 17 Nov 2007 by B. D. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but sometimes slow, dark fantasy, 17 Nov 2007
B. D. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dusk (Paperback)

But I think that premise, as good as it is, wasn't enough to sustain a full novel, and was essentially stretched for 400 pages when that isn't really what it was suited for. The whole plot of the book is essentially one big chase. The idea of "bad guys pursue fleeing good guys across the land" is a common staple of fantasy, but in most cases that isn't ALL the story is. With this book that IS the case.

But to give Lebbon credit, there is a more expansive scope waiting in the background, and he does conclude Dusk with the great promise of something big, epic, multi-layered and satisfying to come in the sequel, "Dawn", with a dramatic ending that shakes things up wholesale. There are no big battles in this book, but I'm sure there will be in Dawn.

And, as I said at the beginning, there are some nice fantasy ideas on show here, particularly huge dormant war machines that run on magic, which promise to be a big part of the upcoming story. I also liked the way Lebbon portrays the magic itself, as a wild, mysterious elusive thing that nobody can quite control, almost as if it were a wild animal with a conscience. That was interesting.

Also, the book is very eloquently and cleanly written.

Overall, a reasonable fantasy adventure, but I found it to be a bit slow at some points, what with the story being fairly minimalist. But I have to remember that this is only the first half of a two-part story, and there does seem to be genuine promise of better things to come from Lebbon yet. I look forward to reading Dawn and finding out for myself.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but best to stick to horror I think, 20 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Dusk (Paperback)
Dusk is a perfectly servicable fantasy, but I found myself glad to be reaching the end when it did come and not inspired to go and buy the second at all. The writing is good, Lebbon certainly knows how to turn a phrase, but the plot's simplistic and unremarkable in my book - very much how I'd expect a horror writer's impression of a fantasy plot to be. Young boy of mysterious origins survives massacre for no particular reason, various useful and unexplained coincidences happen as he gather s a band of disparate companions in the role-playing style, lots of running away and then the end of the book. That's about it really and that's not enough to stir any great emotion in me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lebbon... from novelist to writer...., 24 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Dusk (Paperback)
Lebbon has always challenged the reader to follow his dark imagination into less comfortable surroundings. I have to say though that Dusk really is a departure from his usual style. Lebbon invents a world beyond the kid gloves of Tolkein and the like. The first time I read Dusk I really felt swept away with the pace of the book, tearing at the pages to keep pace. On second reading I took the time to appreciate the characters and lavish setting. This really is a fantastic read and for the first time I apprecited the difference between dark fantasy and horror. I suspect that this really will place Lebbon comfortable alongside the likes of Barker in terms of daring the reader to surrender their imagination to his. Absolutely superb....
Yours,
F.Wasp

Dusk
Dusk by Tim Lebbon (Paperback - 31 Jan 2006)