Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 April 2007
i found flylady via an internet forum. i quickly reralised that the system was for people just like me. my home was full of things i couldn't bring myself to get rid of. it was cluttered smelly messy and embarrassing. visitors had to phone three days before arriving so that i could tidy and i was always having to buy the children new socks and stuff because we could never find a pair.

one year on and thanks to sink reflections we got rid of four car fulls at least of items we didn't need. i have a wardrobe that contains only clothes that make me feel great and they are sweet smelling and ironed. my laundry baskets are empty and my cupboards are neat and people can drop by without warning and i can make a cup of tea straight away. i can even make dinner without having to clear a space. and guests can even go to the bathroom without me panicking about what they will find.

to say this book changed my life is a bit of a cliche but it is true. kim and aggie can clean your house and so can anthea turner but without the simple baby step routines of flylady you will find that very soon the dishes will pile up and you will be back to chaos in no time.

after years of heartbreaking spring cleans that lasted a week, my home has now been clean and tidy for near on a year. getting rid of unnecisary clutter and washing clothes regularly means that we were able to justify spending a little more on less clothes etc. instead of filling the bedroom with badly cared for primark stuff we have fewer clothes that are of better quality.

i wish that i could share this system with as many people as possible. you really can go from bedrooms with rotting pizza boxes under a two metere pile of clothes, and kitchens where flys manage to lay eggs on the chicken bones you should have thrown away on sunday to a home where you never have to do a deep clean again, where everyone has fresh clothes, clean plates on demand and even ironed sheets. and a sweet smelling toilet that never needs heavy chemicals again.

if i can do this then i am convinced that anyone can.

flylady certainly knows what she is talking about so you wont feel like you are being preached at from someone who was born organised. in the book she talks of a room where she had to go in everyday and put just two things away each visit because it was so bad.

you als don't have to launch into a cleaning frenzy as she starts with small and simple easy to follow tips that turn into automatic routines.

you don't have to buy this book because the flylady.net website gives you everything for free. under the section titled flying lessons. but it is beneficial to have it down in book form. my copy has been opened so many times that it's starting to look a bit worn.

if you are living in shame at the state of your house and you don't know where to start, it's not because you are lazy it's just that you don't know how. please buy this book. you really will be amazed.
77 comments|217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2003
Marla Cilley hits the nail on the head as she identifies a twisted kind of perfectionism which is stopping most of us from getting organised. Her baby-steps guide really works - and I speak as an English mother of three with a full time job outside the home. This book is not just for American full time mothers - Marla Cilley positively encourages you to adapt the ideas and suggestions to fit in with your own lifestyle. I am an avid "self-help" book fan but this is the only one that has ever worked and I have "de-cluttered" all the rest! This is not just about "cleaning" - it is about improving the quality of your whole life and, as a result, your families' lives too. The whole thing is backed up with a fantastic web site and an optional e-mailing list. Marla's philosophy gives practical,realistic steps with a strict "no whining allowed" policy, softened by words of wisdom and encouragement from someone who's been there. Buy this book - you won't regret it!
on 22 October 2004
I bought this book so that i could read the whole Flylady concept at my own pace and I am now a convert to the whole system !
She sorts out all the cluttered aspects of your life and you then turn all tasks into 'routines' these routines then become second nature and before you know it your house is tidy - your ironing is done and you are soaking in a bubble bath thinking happy thoughts !
on 4 July 2007
I am a born clutterholic on the verge of going on the wagon. This book really works. I agree that some of the Americanisms can start to grate after a while but you can just skip over those and the God Breezes if you choose and concentrate on the useful information about establishing routines however small that have long term results. Whilst How Clean is Your House, Life Laundry, Clear Clutter with Feng Shui etc. are gathering dust (or used to!) at the back of my bookshelf, Sink Reflections is out most days. It makes you think differently about clutter and how you deal with it and the importance of making time for yourself. There are so many things to feel guilty about - don't waste time feeling guilty about the state of your home. This book will help you achieve a clean and tidy home without the angst.
on 22 August 2002
Some people glide effortlessly through their days, born with a natural flair for organisation and a measured approach to life's chores. These lucky people do not need this book....congratulations to you!
BUT if you have ever wished for a 36-hour day so you can fit in all the things you need to do - work, family, chores etc - then "Sink Reflections" will help you.
If you have ever been so overwhelmed by the household tasks facing you that you give up before you start, then Marla will hold your hand and encourage you to spend just 15 minutes on the task...and then STOP, whether you have finished or not!
There are lots of useful tips, and motivational techniques in this book - but the key thing is to take BABY STEPS...
The author describes her own experience of depression and helplessness, and the slow yet steady progress out of this state by taking each task 15 minutes at a time.
And you are encouraged to clear out the junk & clutter that has built up over the years, by Marla's firm but friendly alter-ego FLYlady. She takes a dim view of whining and whinging, and makes a great drill-instructor/fairy godmother for those of us who need that little extra boost. Try it - you have nothing to lose but your CHAOS (Can't Have Any One Over Syndrome)
0Comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2004
I first read about flylay at EQWomen, and I can honestly say it's changed my life. You can read up about it at flylady.net and sign up for email reminders to get you started .. not that you have to. The key is those routines, and I am getting there! ... in baby steps, ofcourse.. I used to have a pile of ironing so high I kept expecting mountaineers to knock on the door asking to scale the north face.. now its gone, and the airing cupboard is empty too. My sink would shine if it wasn't made of some kind of horrid plastic stuff.. but it's clean lol.
on 23 July 2009
I love this book - but it might not be the one for you. If you're looking for tips on cleaning with vinegar and bicarb and you've already got a tidy, clean home then this truly isn't what you want - go buy something by Kim and Aggie instead. However, if you're looking for a Home Organisation book because you just don't know where to start then buy this now or go to the website flylady.net - I promise you won't regret it.

I bought it back in March as I was browsing through Amazon looking for a Home Org Book- boy did I find the right one for me. Starting with, well shining your sink actually as the title suggests, Flylady takes you by the hand and almost effortlessly helps you get the tidy and clean home you're looking for. She doesn't expect you to be perfect by any means but just doing a little makes a huge difference. You won't be spending days on end cleaning either, there's basically a morning and night-time routine, once you have that off you add in a 1 hour a week basic routine, then you add zone's so that each room in your house gets covered more thoroughly plus a bit of decluttering and you're there!

The other reviewers have said the rest and I totally agree. A brilliant find.
on 17 November 2006
This isn't just another declutter your life book.

It teaches you how very, very simple routines which are built up very slowly can revolutionise your life.

This book is suitable for people who think their house is too messy, dirty, cluttered and beyond rescue.

This book is for people who have no idea how to get started with sorting out their homes and their lives.

It enables you to take control and responsibility for you and your home and teaches you how you can get everyone else to help.

I smile every day when I realise

I have a clean bathroom - swish and swipe each time you use it

I have clothes laid out - all clean, ironed and ready to wear

I have food in the house for every meal

I pay all my bills on time and all my paperwork is filed away

I have a clean home

I have peace of mind - everything I need to do or remember is on my

calender.

I can do anything for 15 minutes.

If you are unsure if this book is for you. Find a kitchen timer, set an alarm on your mobile phone for 15 minutes. Grab a bin liner. Start at the door. Work clockwise around the room and fling out all the rubbish. Don't think about it. Work as fast as you can. When the timer goes off stop. Put the bin bag in your dustbin. Go back into your room and marvel at what you have achieved. Then order this book - you'll be amazed.
on 10 October 2004
I came across this book though a recommendation which lead to the flylady.net website. Im a mother of 7 untidy kids and one disorganised husband and had almost give up all hope of tackling the chaos which was my home. Finally, between the website and the book, I have learned to take babysteps, establish routines and relax and take care of myself. Methods taught, like not doing anything for longer than 15 mins at a time, make jobs like tackling the piles of clothes spilling out of my kids wardrobe and across their floor possible. It teaches that there is no hurry; that your home didnt get in the state overnight and wont emerge from it overnight either. It teaches that doing things imperfectly is ok. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and in 6 months I have brought relative order to 4 out of the 6 rooms in my home. I havent killed myself and I love being able to let people in and apologise for the mess when there really isnt one anymore :)
A lifechanging book....worth 10 stars out of 5!!!!
on 19 December 2003
I'm not usually one for reviews but felt I had to say what a fantastic book this is if like me you (have)suffered from
terminal messiness and a lack of motivation to do anything about it.
No whining and baby steps is the answer, this book has been a helpful friend in showing exactly what to do and how to do it with the minimum of stress and effort.
This is a woman who truly understands how messies feel and turns them (almost) effortlessly into organized women/men who Fly.
Easy to read and the instructions are easy to follow 15mins and baby steps.
Highly recommended