Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 September 2008
The idea behind this book is that you can relieve pain by normalizing your body's posture and movement. Likewise, the book's premise is that chronic pain is the result of imbalances in your body.

The cure? Exercises called "E-cises" that aim to get your body lined up properly and moving normally. All major areas of the body are covered such as the hips, knees, ankles, back, and so on.

I recommend this book for chronic pain sufferers- even if the theory of the book is incorrect, it will get you exercising which has been shown to help fight chronic pain. Foot pain sufferers might also find The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution helpful as well.
on 13 April 2005
The power of Pete Egoscue's method is that he's always thinking of the alignment of the whole body, not just the area that is hurting. Some of the e-cises may look familiar, but their power is in the choice of the particular exercises for the particular problem, the order of the exercises, paying attention to the details of how to do them. The whole works out as much more than the sum of the individual parts.
The only drawback is that, at the beginning, an e-cise menu will tend to take quite a bit of time, particularly the all-important supine groin stretch. But, after you've done the exercises for a bit, this stretch will take a lot less time. However, in many cases, you will feel a difference after even one go at his exercises - either with pain relief or a feeling of moving better, straighter and more freely.
I've used it successfully for hip and knee problems in the past and now need to start again because I've been lazy and not been thinking about sorting out pain etc which has crept up on me.
(The other book I'd strongly recommend for anyone with musculoskeletal pain is Clair Davies Trigger Point Therapy Workbook.)
on 13 September 2015
After getting on for two decades, this book is still the best help any sufferer from the pain of a misaligned body can get without registering at an - expensive - Egoscue-certificated physiotherapy clinic.

Most people's bodies are misaligned because of bad posture or because some muscle groups are overdeveloped and pull your body out of shape. This results in pain, and it can become very serious for some: slipped discs, RSI and a host of other bodily pains are caused by this imbalance, and whether you're an athlete or a couch potato, an office worker or a manual labourer, you're almost certain to have misalignment pain at some time of not permanently. The Egoscue Method is designed to persuade those muscles which should support the skeleton to take up this task again, and as often as not, the pain simply vanishes as your body gets back into proper alignment. People with deformities, serious arthritis or other incurable misalignments and pain won't get back a perfect body, but by following the Egoscue Method they can minimize both the pain and the problem. Egoscue-approved consultation and treatment are expensive (see www.egoscue.com for a quote), but this simple book can take you most of the way towards the pain relief you want, and maybe provide the full cure.

'Pain Free' is simple to follow. It is organized by the kind of pain you have, and the instructions prescribed are graduated and simple to follow; most of them involve little more than keeping a bodily position while your muscles relax (so they're called e-cises as you don't need to exercise!) After reading the introduction, you just follow the most appropriate chapter for you, usually using a few simple props like a chair and a clear wall, then as the pain eases, add in other sections as suggested. When the pain's gone, there's a 'maintenance chapter' at the end to help you avoid a recurrence of the trouble.

I'm now buying my fifth copy - I tend to lend them out and not get them back - and I still find this the simplest way to get rid of those nagging aches and pains. Many people with more serious problems have got much more help than I need.

You might ask why there's no new edition out over all these years. The answer's simple: it still works as it is; there's nothing more to say. Egoscue has published other more general and more targetted books, appliances to make using the Method easier and useful videos on the website. But this is the starting point, and for many it will be all you need.

It is, in summary, the one book on physical health and pain relief you really need on your bookshelf if you have no others.
on 16 February 1999
Suffering from low back pain, hip pain, and neck pain for over five years I was given this book to read. After one session of chapter 7 I felt relief in my hips and my knees were more directly positioned over my feet. But as I read through this book I came upon some disturbing statements made by the author. On page 137 he states that spinal stenosis, spondylolysis,spondylolisthesis,spondylosis,and scoliosis are also muscular conditions. It may be true that these conditions were caused by skeletal misallignment, but I can tell you that after suffering with spinal stenosis for all this time and finding out that my stenosis is genetic and to try some of the exercises he shows for the back for someone with spinal stenosis would be crazy. He constantly talks about the curve in the spine but if you have spinal stenosis the last thing you want to do is arch your back. To disregard these conditions in one sentence and to think they can be fixed with exercises that put you in more pain is wrong.Even though it sounds like I'm condemming this book I just wanted to show that you have to pick and choose what is right for you and not to take it all as gospel. Remember in this book he talked about helping jack nicklaus the golfer,well jack just had a hip replacement last week.
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2012
There is more common sense and practical help in this book than in any other I have read on the subject of bodily pain. In only a few weeks it has made a big difference to me and I would not hesitate to recommend it to any one who suffers pain.Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain
on 18 October 1998
I'm going to have to lower my lathe about 4 inches. Hmm, well that's starting at the end. Back to the beginning: The first thing I noticed when I got the book was a blurb from Depak Chopra. Not very encouraging. The second was on about page 34 or so the author says the X-Rays are one of the biggest problems with modern medicine...and I'm an X-Ray Tech. The biggest problem is that all of the evidence is anecdotal, some even celebrity anecdotes, nary a controlled study in sight.
But I'm afraid I've become an anecdote myself. After doing the shoulder pain exercises for a couple of weeks, not only has the pain gone away but my shoulder height has dropped about four inches. I can tell, because both of my lathes were set to be at elbow height, and now they're far too high.
After doing the shoulder exercises for a month or so I switched over to the general exercises, and my feet, after 50 years, now point straight ahead when I walk instead of out to the sides. With a little deliberate effort at first, mind you.
The book makes consumate sense. And it sure worked for me. Far better to buy and follow the book now before our modern propensity for the sedentary life gets you in trouble.
on 2 February 2013
The suggested e-cises helped ease my joint pains considerably. I recently had an op and had to stop them and the pains gradually returned. Can't wait to get the all clear so I can start them again!
on 17 November 2013
It appeared to me that it aimed to achieve a good centre of balance and prevent movement and postural strains. It contained excellent photographs to guide the reader and the language used was perfect for me, occasional word not understood but could easily be looked up in a dictionary and it was only the occasional word. Overall the explanations were clear, concise and suitable for anybody with virtually no knowledge of human biology, such as myself.
on 16 December 1998
I am a physical therapist with twenty years experience in soft tissue mobilization. I've studied numerous methods and techniques in resolving pain syndromes. I got the book on a client recommendation and was so impressed with the immediate results on myself that I started teaching my patients as soon as possible. Let me just say that both the staff and patients are benefitting. At first, the methods seem too simplistic. But the results are real. The Egoscue Method has taken precedence in my patients' rehab.
on 24 August 2014
My cousin in the USA recommended this book and to be honest, after a short start following the E/Cises, I am feeling slightly better from the constant pain I have. I have tried other books on the subject and have not found the relief start so soon, so I have to recommend it, not a lot of money, came quick and well wrapped!