4.0 out of 5 stars A useful reference guide for healers
This book is a useful guide to the basics of energy healing - talking about the human energy field, auras, chakras, the causes of illness, etc, and doing so in a clear, easy to understand way.

Published on 25 July 2008 by Sarah Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much unsupported belief required
I had hoped that this would have more scientific content i.e. some attempt to point to verifiable aspects of energy healing. As a very open-minded sceptic, I need something that resonates with me - this feels like superstition.
Published 10 months ago by Jane

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful reference guide for healers, 25 July 2008
This review is from: Hands Of Light: Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field (Paperback)

When it gets to the energy work, and in particular, the act of healing and seeing, it seems to imply that there is only one way of doing it. But the visions that we each of us see when we heal are different, depending on the individual and the sorts of symbols that have meaning for each one. Indeed, some healers don't see anything at all, but work entirely from intuitive feeling, for example.

My feeling on this book is that it is a useful resource, but that we each need to trust the information and intuitions that we receive ourselves, in order to open up our own higher perceptions. If you find yourself judging your own perceptions as not being "as good as" the author's, just relax and don't worry. They are as good. They're just yours.

I have come across a number of healers who feel they aren't "doing it right" after reading this book, when in fact, they're doing just fine. This is not the fault of the author - it has more to do with the tendency of healers to worry about their own progress and compare it to others.

So, my recommendation is this: read the book. It's full of good information. Then keep the information you can readily assimilate in your own work, and don't worry too much about the other stuff. If you need it, you'll encounter it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Sourcebook in the Art of Auric Healing, 3 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This book is a must for anyone interested in laying on hands and in understanding the human energy field in general. Barbara Brennan gives substantial background information concerning the disease process and how disturbances and imbalances in the aura manifest in the physical body. She then gives in-depth techniques for correcting these problems on a holistic level, including lucid examples of the ongoing process of healing.
My only complaint about this book is that it fails to address the highly subjective nature of higher perception, but those who are aware of auras should be able to relate her way of seeing with their own.
Although it may not be the best introduction for the beginning healer, overall, this book is an excellent addition to the shelves of intermediate to advanced healers, and it will serve them for years as their practice of the healing arts continues.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic & Essential Reference Book, 25 Oct 2003
I consider HANDS OF LIGHT to be an essential reference book for anyone who is seriously interested in exploring energy healing. I am impressed with the way author Barbara Ann Brennan describes her early childhood experiences of sensing energy fields around trees and all living things, and even more impressed that after many years of training in physics and western ways of scientism, she never lost her inner sense of knowing.
HANDS OF LIGHT includes many pictures of auras and chakras, which serve to illustrate her points about how to identify common personality types and relationship types based on her in-depth personal healing experiences. Brennan also proceeds to explain how to help improve one's health by working on one's energy field.
Full enjoyment of HANDS OF LIGHT requires that the reader either have an open mind regarding the fact that many people can see auras and chakras, or the ability to see these things oneself. Brennan provides exercises to help people learn how to see energy fields, so any reader with a sincere interest in the subject of energy healing will most likely be very satisfied with this classic book.
-- Cynthia Sue Larson
author of AURA ADVANTAGE: How the Colors in Your Aura Can Help You Attain What You Desire and Attract Success

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive handbook on hands-on healing., 25 Dec 2001
K. Alexander "rfdesign" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
An absolutely brilliant book on hands-on healing technique. If you practise Reiki or similar healing arts then this book is definitely one to have. If you only have the money to buy one book on this subject, then this, without doubt, is the one to get !.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands of light, 16 Mar 2004
sue ellis (Teesside, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to read more about the energy field their purpose and effect in a little more depth and I wasn't disappointed. As a Reiki level 3 healer I find this book of tremendous value. One of the main one's to me is, as some of us cannot see energy colour, I have found by showing the people I treat the illustration in the book (of healer and client) is benifical. They can see and picture the energy in all its glorious colours they are receiving. Personal feed back from all I've treated are very pleased by this simplistic explaination. Barbara Brennans books are a must for beginers and experienced healers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Healing Book., 8 Dec 1998
By A Customer
I read this book first as a Doctorate Student. It disappeared on a move. I was devastated because it had become my encyclopedia for healing. Amazing book!! It gave me additonal insight into alternative healing. I learned the most basic yet prophetic lessons on human existence and made so many notes and studied observations in this book. This book has had the most profound impact on my thought patterns as a Doctor (much more so than any required school text). I have spent my years studying human healing. It dosen't stop at any certain persons defintion of healing. I find each unique human has some new meaning to add to this process. This book will start you on your way to understanding and loving all of man kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars PROOF THAT HEALING IS A GODSEND, 15 Jan 2001
What I liked about this book is the unapologetic manner in which Ms Brennan - who was trained as a scientist - simply describes how she views (and sees) the human energy field (HEF) or aura. She lays out in precise detail the 'geography' of the HEF, and makes it real for those of us who are on the lower slopes of the steep climb up the mountain of knowledge about health, healing and bio-energy.
The book has lots of lovely illustrations, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, and quite deep - heavy for beginners.., 25 Sep 2005
By A Customer
If your aim is to understand auras and the application of that knowledge, the book has quite a lot of background and data, all in a credible, clear scientific way.
It doesn't quite offer as quick a HOWTO to reading an aura as "Auras: See Them In Only 60 Seconds!" by Mark Smith, so maybe get both if you're just venturing into this.
One of the strongest recommendations for this book was that I was given its title by someone in Bangkok who is apparently Thailands' best (known) aura reader - and it was quite a life changing experience..

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book on the human aura, 14 Jun 1998
By A Customer
I liked this book a lot. It describes many different characteristics of the human aura. What's more important, it describes how it reflects your state of health in it; be it wellness or sickness, physical or otherwise. It also describes the techniques that professional healers use in order to heal the patients. The author also positions the healer as a complement (not as an opposite) to the physician. If you asked me what I did not like in the book, I'd just have to say nothing. The author has written another excellent book, "Light Emerging". Although it can be read alone, I'd suggest reading "Hands of Light" first as that book build on, and extends on the knowledge of her first book on the human aura.

5.0 out of 5 stars it should be part of the school curriculum really..., 2 Sep 2010
reading this book increased my understanding of humanity, the universe and most importantly of myself. there is a lot of information to comprehend and absord and the images/ drawing are very good visual clues/ tools. I particularly liked the work/ information on Chakras as it streched my understanding and the energy work I am currently exploring. the 1st few chapters were particularly useful as a summary of various scientific perspectives on how energy and the universe work. after reading Barbara Brennan work, there is no coming back, just looking forward for best ways to help myself and others by fulfilling my soul task...reading this book is beyond just reading, some home work comes at the end of each chapter, not compulsary but highly useful to do...
Inspiring and enlightening... the kind of book we should be studying at school to make humankind more aware and more connected to divine source...I am grateful someone brought it into my life.

Hands Of Light: Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field
Hands Of Light: Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field by Barbara Ann Brennan (Paperback - 1 Feb 1990)