4.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring to parents
Published on 28 Aug. 2001 by Derrick

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult Child - waste of money
Great description of difficult children.
Sexist attitudes, no particularily good advice.
Read Raising Your Spirited Child instead.
Published on 5 Mar. 1997

4.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring to parents, 28 Aug. 2001
Derrick (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Difficult Child (Paperback)
This book should provide some relief for parents struggling with a challengeng child. The temperamental traits which make a child difficult are well explained with advice on how to cope. Some might be put off because it seems to be directed mainly stay at home moms and by the way that a typical family is presented. What I liked is that it teaches parents to become assertive and authorative resisting the temptation to reason or over explain family rules and requests. What helped us with our child was to establish firm consistant limits and boundaries which enabled him to develop and grow. On the other hand I disagreed with the use of rewards or punishment to change behaviour. Also I had doubts about the notion of always trying to separate temeramental behaviour from normal misbehaviour as the critical factor in how you deal with it. Overall the book is very authorative and insightful covering many areas of interrest to parents including medications. I still would recommend reading the book "The Manipulative Child: How to Regain Control and Raise Resilient, Resourceful and Independant Kids" for further understanding of difficult behaviour.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent and insightful, 23 Aug. 1999
This review is from: The Difficult Child (Paperback)
I learned more from this book than the many other parenting books I've read. Dr. Turecki's link between temperment and behavior has given me a totally new perspective on handling my daughter. His ideas and suggestions are innovative and very practical. I recommend this book to everyone I know who has a difficult child. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars We are not alone!, 30 Mar. 2000
This review is from: The Difficult Child (Paperback)
This is the only childcare book I have ever read that recognises MY child - and makes me feel that we can sort out the difficult behaviour, that it's not all our fault, or her fault either. I have bought two more copies for friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found My Child in these Pages, 3 Feb. 1999
This review is from: The Difficult Child (Paperback)
Struggling with a child who is not a special needs child but still not your regular average kid, this book showed me what I have been searching for . . . a means to understand my child. Any parent who struggles with the same challenge can find their child here too, and start to recover from painful isolation, guilt and embarrassment in the first 50 pages. The book could expand on advice and get to the "fix" faster than it does, but I'm grateful still to have discovered this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An answer to prayer.., 2 Jun. 1999
This review is from: The Difficult Child (Paperback)
I found this book on the library sale table and bought it for ten cents...and I really believe that God led me to it. After reading all I could find about strong-willed or ADD children, I never felt like I'd found anything that described my child, or was helpful with the particular problems that I was having with him. But this book was a salvation when I was at the very end of my rope. BUY IT. READ IT. It saved my sanity, and my relationship with my very different and special child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book for parents and professionals, 21 Mar. 1998
This review is from: The Difficult Child (Paperback)
Dr. Turecki helps parents and teachers understand the "normal" difficult child and discusses how to manage behavior effectively for the child's benefit. His advice is practical and his compassion for the difficult child and his/her family is sincere. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a bad parent...he's a difficult child., 22 Aug. 1999
This review is from: The Difficult Child (Paperback)
The biggest thing this book did for me was to make me realize that I wasn't going crazy. I went into counseling thinking I couldn't cope as a wife/mother. I was blaming it all on my husband. Meanwhile my 3 yr old son was constantly hitting, kicking and throwing and not responding to any form of discipline. The pediatrician's office recommended this book. I saw my child in the pages...sensory sensitivity, moodiness, etc. And I saw myself...an overwhelmed, depressed Mom. This book gave me HOPE. We are finding out that there are "un-obvious" developmental reasons behind my son's behavior so the book is not totally applicable. However, the HOPE that this book gave me, made it a very worthwhile investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars I felt like I was reading about my child, 28 July 2013
This review is from: The Difficult Child (Paperback)
What I liked about this book was the simultaneous feeling it gave that 1. your difficult children are not your fault or your doing, it is their nature and 2. it is in your power to change it and do something about it. The whole way through I felt like I was reading about my child. Did it change my life and my kids miraculously? No but it helped me realize that no book will do that. It's very helpful in terms of narrowing down what exactly is wrong and what you want to change. It's also not full of jargon and farfetched ideas. It's a book for parents.

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult Child - waste of money, 5 Mar. 1997
This review is from: The Difficult Child (Paperback)
Great description of difficult children.
Sexist attitudes, no particularily good advice.
Read Raising Your Spirited Child instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of hope in a world of angst, 12 Oct. 1999
Mr. D. G. Satchell "Aragorn" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Difficult Child (Paperback)
My wife and I were delighted when we finally recieved this book and started browsing. It was such a huge relief to see the various sides of our sons behaviour so accurately described. it is a huge weight of our minds to know it is not us at fault and to be able to produce a positive strategy to cope with the problem. Our thanks to the author and for Amazon for supplying the book

The Difficult Child
The Difficult Child by Leslie Tonner (Paperback - Sept. 1989)
Used & New from: £0.01