5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for explaining death to pre-school children
Published on 26 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for older children although dated illustrations.
If this book was to be reprinted they good use a new illustrator. The images are very old fashioned and dark colours made this a very dull and lifeless, pardon the pun!
There is nothing wrong with the images I was just hoping for something more inspiring...the text is good, albeit for an older child, maybe 7+ it could be more colourful.
I liked that it was non...
Published 1 month ago by Teajenny

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for explaining death to pre-school children, 26 May 2001
By A Customer
I work for Social services with Children & Families. I have worked with children in both schools and families for many years. When our second daughter was stillborn I wanted a book to read to our 3 year old that helped her understand death. The cast majority of books I found were either too wordy or more suited to older children who could read. When I discovered Lifetimes and saw how well it was presented for younger children I was thrilled. The illustrations are excellent and the use of repetition of concepts like "beginnings and endings with lifetimes inbetween" was just what I had been looking for. I read this to my daughter frequently and we were able to talk about death in a way she could understand and I'm sure these conversations have helped both her and me to come to terms with the death of our second little girl. I have also taken this book into a reception class of a school where a boy in the class tragically suddenly died. I would have no hesitation in recommending this book and do so when ever spoken to about handling death with children. If I could I would like to thank Bryan Mellonie and Robert Ingpen for such a valuable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is written for the very young child and parent., 13 Oct 1999
This review is from: Lifetimes (Paperback)
This book addresses a difficult subject in a very lovely, matter-of-fact way. It helps children (and adults) create a schema for "lifetime", the beautiful part between the beginning, birth, and the end, death. It feels almost scientific but is very poignant, progressing from the smallest living thing up to human beings. It stands out from other books on this subject by being neither cartoon-y nor documentary-style. It's also printed in lovely full-color. As a preschool teacher, I'm often asked how to handle the subject of death and dying with very young children. This is my first choice as a starter book on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift!, 25 Oct 2005
By A Customer
An honest and beautiful book in helping to explore the challenging issues surrounding death, loss and change in life.
The illustrations are clear and diverse. This book can be of great help in talking about difficult issues with children and its honesty yet sensitivity makes it a delight to read and use.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can you heal a grieving child's loss?, 17 Oct 1997
This review is from: Lifetimes (Paperback)
Lifetimes is a gently beautiful introduction to death and grief for young children. Ingpen and Mellonie show death as a natural part of the process of living for all creatures. They also affirm the reality and importance of death's sadness, thus opening the way to healing.

This book is among the most popular choices of staff and grieving families at the hospice where I work. Every child enjoys the book's soothing text and lovely pictures. Even parents whose children have not yet experienced a loss might want to go ahead and get this book to help their children begin to build an understanding of the cycle of life.

If your own heart is breaking, reading Lifetimes to a child will bring a little comfort to you, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 11 Jan 2011
This review is from: Lifetimes (Paperback)
As an atheist it can be quite hard to find a book that sensitively and beautifully deals with the concepts of death. The format of this book, framing a lifetime by birth and death is a wonderful idea and its been beautifully done. The book really stresses how its the life we (and all living things) spend between being born and dying that is important no matter how long or short it is.

My 3 year old daughter loved the book from the first reading and loves to ask about all the pictures and descriptions. This was the perfect book to try to help her understand about death and to do so in a really life-affirming way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brief and beautiful, 7 Dec 2009
Margaret Jack (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lifetimes (Paperback)
This is a lovely way of helping children understand lifespans/lifetimes of plants, animals, people. Gentle and flowing. Love it, MJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Great explinations, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Lifetimes (Paperback)
Helped my special needs sin get past his Nanas death

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for older children although dated illustrations., 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Lifetimes (Paperback)
I liked that it was non religious and explained things in a matter of fact way. I would have no hesitation reading it to my child when he is older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Lifetimes (Paperback)
Amazing book! I work with bereaved children and this is such an amazing way to explain how life and death work. Highly recommend it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifetimes, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lifetimes (Paperback)
Good book for explaining death in a matter of fact way essential for ASD kids lovely illustrations and written simply but wisely.

Lifetimes
Lifetimes by Bryan Mellonie (Paperback - 5 Oct 1998)
8.17