4.0 out of 5 stars A Fast-paced, sensual, enjoyable read.
Iris Johansen has created yet another compelling romance. The characters are vivid, their emotions and desires well expressed, and their actions clearly explained (even if I didn't always agree with them). The plot is well developed and executed.
Published on 17 Mar 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Unconvincing Historical Romance
I enjoy Iris Johansen's modern thrillers, but I must say that her historical romances do not convince me. This one took place in an unidentified Balkan kingdom, so it is difficult for me to evaluate how accurate its history was. I have severe doubts, however.
Published on 8 Jun 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fast-paced, sensual, enjoyable read., 17 Mar 1998
This review is from: The Beloved Scoundrel (Paperback)
The story begins in the fictional country, Montavia, located near Russia, and continues through England and other fictional Balkan countries. It takes place during the years of the Napoleanic Wars. The heroine, Marianna Sanders, is endagered due to her knowledge of facts that could change the course of the entire war; she also has to find a way to protect her little brother. The hero, Jordan Draken, is one of several people trying to get to her to discover what she knows. He ends up being their rescuer and protector from the bad guys, who want the knowledge that Marianna has to do evil and gain more power. In the process of trying to save the world, Marianna and Jordan fall in love (the love scenes, as expected from this author, are very well done). But living happily ever after won't be easy, as they encounter obstacles toward their path to happiness. In addition to the main action, there is a very interesting subplot involving the hero's mother.
As mentioned before, the characters were well done; my only problem with the characters is their reasoning in doing some of the things they do. But overall, this was a very good book that will give readers many hours of pleasure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unconvincing Historical Romance, 8 Jun 1999
This review is from: The Beloved Scoundrel (Paperback)
More importantly, the romance itself did not work for me. The hero annoyed rather than attracted me, his sidekick was too good to be true, and the heroine recovered too swiftly from the extremely traumatic event that sets the stage for the novel. The only character I liked was the heroine's little brother, but he was too peripheral to the action to carry the book. I'll stick to her thrillers from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful romance!, 20 Aug 1999
This review is from: The Beloved Scoundrel (Paperback)
This novel made me an Iris Johanson fan! What I love about her works are her strong characters, particularly the heroines. Marianna is a strong, intelligent, creative young woman, who is not the victim of The Beloved Scoundrel, but the champion of the story. Her wit and her passion endear her not only to the handsome hero, but to the readers as well. Bravo, Ms. Johanson!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant reading, 16 Jun 1998
This review is from: The Beloved Scoundrel (Paperback)
I love reading the beloved scoundrel, but i couldn't understand what makes or how did Jordan feel lust for Marianna,they hardly know each other except for a few heart conversation. I thought Marianna is going to hide the Jedalar in one of the panel and never knew she's going to blow-up the tunnel. She's a very brave women and Jordan not much of a scoundrel but yet their lovemaking is wonderful and they actually have lust each other although the love comes later..its a good reading Iris.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was GREAT !! Iris Johanson has done it again!!, 19 Mar 1998
This review is from: The Beloved Scoundrel (Paperback)
Iris Johanson takes you away to a war torn country and then whisks you to a fabulous estate in England.Her characters seem like real people and they are unforgettable..she shows us the beauty and betrayal of love.The story centers around a forgotten art form and two men who will do anything to possess it and the secret it holds.Unforgettable love,passion and betrayal make this a book well worth reading. Ms. Johanson has shown herself to be a talented and capable author. A great read for anyone who wants to step back in time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not romance. Not seduction. Force., 3 July 2007
S. White "reader" (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beloved Scoundrel (Paperback)
I didn't care for this book. What the lead male character did to the female lead was not seduction--it was coersion. Coersion is not romance. He takes her off to his hunting lodge and tells her he's going to have her and then proceeds to wear her down. She has no power, no one to help, nowhere to run, no place to hide He's in his 30's and she's just 19 or 20--very inexperience (not worldly and a virgin). She was not free to make a choice. I thought the male lead was a pig.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cloud nine with Iris Johansen!!, 25 Mar 1998
This review is from: The Beloved Scoundrel (Paperback)
Iris Johansen has a totally unique writing style. Her characters are so memorable that I still remember the storyline whereas the book is in tatters from repeated handling.

4.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC CREATIVITY!!!, 25 Feb 1999
This review is from: The Beloved Scoundrel (Paperback)
I can't say enough about Iris Johansen's writing technique and the strength of her characters. She doesn't keep the hate - love fight going on page after page as some others do. I give her a ten in her ability to keep me turning the pages and up half the night to finish her unbelievable books. Her creative imagination in all her stories is beyond belief. Thank you again and I won't stop until I have read every one of her books.

The Beloved Scoundrel
The Beloved Scoundrel by Iris Johansen (Paperback - 1 Jun 1994)
4.90