4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking Fantasy Romance

Published on 27 Nov 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking Fantasy Romance, 18 Oct 2002
K. Newman "krazykmcd" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wizard of Seattle (Mass Market Paperback)
Do you believe in magic? In sorcery, spells and things fantasical? When she was just a teenager, Serena Smyth made her way across America, compelled to travel to the home of Richard Patrick Merlin, who recognised her for the Wizard that she is. After all, it takes one to know one. Ignoring one of the fundamental rules of Wizards, Merlin takes Serena in, and thus begins her apprenticeship to the Master.
Nine years later, Serena has developed her wizardly talents far enough that she can get into all sorts of trouble. Wizards do not like for the world to know about them, and Serena has managed to make herself the subject of a journalistic investigation that could rip the wizardly world right open. Only then does she learn of the bedrock of distrust that the wizards have for the only female wizard alive. And Merlin has been ordered to strip her powers from her. Merlin has inherited the extreme distrust of all male wizards, but after spending nine years instructing Serena, he cannot bear to take away the power that is so much a part of her. So he devises a way to possibly save the situation. To rewrite history. To take them back to before the early wizard texts. To before Atlantis was destroyed, and the distrust began for male wizards.
The book is a mixture of the modern world and modern people with those of Atlantis. I’m not sure I ‘bought’ the historical details – I think Hooper essentially created another world and hung the name ‘Atlantis’ on it, but the world she created was thought provoking in the ‘what happens if you rewrite history’ way. The relationships between men and women (wizards!) are fresh, and I think Hooper explores well the trust issue for both those of Atlantis, the wizards of the future, and especially Merlin’s problems.
This is no heavily erotic novel – the intimate moments are based on more than that. The scene where Roxanne, who earlier in the book was so incredibly damaged, comes to trust Tremayne in a very fundamental way is to me both very touching and significant to the plot. The emotional development is mostly Merlin’s but is not generally told from his viewpoint, which is an unusual device and can lead to not being able to identify with the character when we’re unsure of his motivations. But I found the section where Serena unintentionally spies on Merlin to such painful effect made me feel deeply for Serena, and we later find how it was a catalyst for Merlin too. Merlin the Master Wizard is stunted in this area, and requires Serena’s help to discover his emotions as much as she needs his to save her wizard powers. He is not unaware of the situation, and is working to overcome it. That there is no ‘instant fix’ made his dilemma the more convincing.
I enjoyed the give and take of the book, the playing of the sets of couples against each other’s circumstances and seeing how they grew, or how they failed. I found the tale to be well crafted and full of interesting themes and theories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wizards and Love - What a great combination!, 14 Jun 1999
This review is from: The Wizard of Seattle (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by Kay Hooper, although I love fantasy and romance - together and separate. I really enjoyed this book. Very unique and thought-provoking. I couldn't stop thinking about it even after I finished it. The plot was fairly complex and I really liked the hero and heroine. Mostly what got me was that the conflict between male and female wizards was very unique and yet still very believeable. I have not read any other books that approached magic and power in this way. Definitely recommended reading!
Now I've got to find more of Kay Hooper's books!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 May 2000
This review is from: The Wizard of Seattle (Mass Market Paperback)
This book had everything I was looking for romance, fantasy, plot, strong characters. Cannot wait to read another of Kay Hoopers books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 12 Aug 1997
This review is from: The Wizard of Seattle (Mass Market Paperback)
Imagine a place of enchantment and people that enchant - scenes that bewitch and hold the reader captive - and you have "The Wizard of Seatle". Ms Hooper is indeed a talented writer, however, in this book, she surpasses anything that she has ever produced before. In her inimable style she weaves a story so enthralling that the reader is actually desolate when the story ends.

A wizard with years of training finds someone who has great power and decides to train this being - the only problem is that it is female, and females are not allowed to be wizards. Females are actively hated and distrusted by wizards, so the protagonists take it upon themselves to find out why - and end up in Atlantis just before it was destroyed. Need I say any more???

When two powerful forces of come together, a wizard and a sorceress, there is only one outcome - magic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slushy romance masquarading as fantasy, 27 Nov 1999
This review is from: The Wizard of Seattle (Mass Market Paperback)
Fantasy fans, beware! Although this book appears high on the fantasy bestseller list, it has most definitely been mis-classified. My auntie, a firm Mills & Boon addict, would love this book. I hate it. Under a thin veneer of a fantasy plot lies a slushy romance of the 'she melted in his warm embrace' type, without even enough gratuitous sex to make it worthwhile. One to stay clear of if you're not into romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic of love..., 13 Nov 1998
This review is from: The Wizard of Seattle (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the first romance novel that I have ever read and I loved it! I'm not normally fond of romance novels but this was absolutely breath-taking! It wasn't all sex it was a tender love-story that touched my heart and fired my soul. If you love fantasy, you'll definately love this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Make' s you want to believe it's all real., 16 April 1997
This review is from: The Wizard of Seattle (Mass Market Paperback)
This book bring's to life what you might think the world might be like if there where really Sorcerers in the world and all the good they can do. But the characters weren't just hopping in and out of beds they were interacting with the world, also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad !!, 27 April 1998
This review is from: The Wizard of Seattle (Mass Market Paperback)
The storyline was great, it was riveting to say the least but I it was too short. I was disappointed that the book seemed to end too quickly. That is the one and only shortcoming for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbound, 19 Jun 2008
Christine Røjkjær (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wizard of Seattle (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this cover to cover. I could not put it down. It is wonderful imaginenative and has good characters and an creative storyline. I enjoyed it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A SPELLBOUND AND SEDUCTIVE READ, 11 Jun 2004
Ap Nj Dorrall "nicky0512" (plymouth,devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wizard of Seattle (Mass Market Paperback)
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A FAN OF KAY HOOPER. I'VE ENJOYED READING HER VARIOUS DIFFERENT NOVELS, FROM "FINDING LAURA" TO "AMANDA" AND HER VERY SUCCESFUL PHYSIC SERIES - WHICH I THINK IS JUST BRILLIANT.
" THE WIZARD OF SEATTLE", IS VERY DIFFERENT AGAIN, AND HAS GOT MIXED REVIEWS, WHICH IS ONE OF THE REASONS I HAVE NOT ATTEMPTED THIS BOOK BEFORE NOW. AFTER ONLY GETTING HALF WAY THROUGH THIS BOOK, I FEEL COMPELLED TO WRITE MY VIEW ON THIS BOOK AS IT HAS LEFT ME SPELLBOUND AND JUST GAGGING FOR MORE. IT IS JUST STARTLEING,IT JUST JUMPS OUT AT YOU FROM THE BEGINING AND CAPTIVATES YOU, IT IS SOOOO GOOD.
THAT'S IT FOR MY REVIEW - GO AND GET THIS BOOK AND GIVE IT A GO.IF YOU LIKE ALL OF KAY HOOPER'S WORK, YOU WILL JUST LOVE THIS.I'M OFF TO FINISH THE BOOK NOW.

The Wizard of Seattle
The Wizard of Seattle by Kay Hooper (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Oct 1998)