Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 5 March 1999
Ellie Haskell is back and pregnant. All she wants to do is stay in bed, eat and be pampered but a warning of danger gives her the push to go to America with her husband Bentley T. Haskell. Bentley wants to become a member of a select group of chefs along with several other unusual candidates. The selection of the one new member of the food society, takes place in a rural area in a strange house on an island. To make matters worse, the house is occupied by a woman who has written a bestseller book about her aging actress mother entitled Monster Mommie. And who shows up? None other than Monster Mommie herself.
Ellie is still an interesting character and the book does have some funny parts, but it was not nearly as good a read as the Thin Woman. I felt that the book had a lot of potential but failed to live up to it. I would not recommend Mum's the Word unless you are a die hard Ellie fan.
on 16 July 1999
I loved the Thin Woman, and was excited to read this book, but never bothered finishing. I found Ellie irritating, not someone I liked very much. I read about 50 pages, and hadn't laughed once.