5.0 out of 5 stars I've taught this book for 7 years.
Published on 19 Aug 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Why don't we have this anymore!?!
Bring it back!!! I want it. I like to jog and listen to stories and books. bring it back! Please!!!! please!!! PLEASE!!!!!
Published 23 months ago by MercrediBenz

5.0 out of 5 stars I've taught this book for 7 years., 19 Aug 1999
This review is from: Education of a Wandering Man (Paperback)
This was the book that L'Amour had on his desk in galleys when he died in 1988. I have used this book in my Freshman Composition classes for seven years. It is a marvellous book. I suspect that L'Amour did not really want to write it because he did not like to brag about himself. There is no bragging in the book, just the flat out reality that he was curious about the world and his curiosity could be fulfilled by reading. It is a great tribute to audodidacticism, a fancy word for the power of self teaching. I find the book inspiring and an important read for an adolescent, although I have had older students say that it made them readers. I am not much of a fan of L'Amour's westerns, but this book is one of my all-time favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring lifestory of a famous writer., 10 Jun 1999
This review is from: Education of a Wandering Man (Paperback)
L'Amour's life story is a better read than much of his fiction. Those who read his fiction superficially for it's entertainment value alone will get a much greater appreciation of these books now that they can comprehend the research and scholarship that has gone into each one.
L'Amour lived live to the fullest physically, but even more so mentally and philosophically. He comes across as an adventurer who made the most of his opportunities no matter how tough the times. But the two central themes of his life were the seeking of knowledge and his desire to write.
A "must read", not only for all Louis L'Amour fans and avid readers, but also for those who are inspired by people who get the most out of their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book challenges you to make something of yourself., 22 May 1999
This review is from: Education of a Wandering Man (Paperback)
Reading "Education of a Wandering Man" made me realize how very little I know of the history of this planet. It caused me to see the world through different eyes. This gave me a whole different perspective on time and the transitory nature of nations and kingdoms. Every age comes and goes...all things are born, mature, and die out. L'Amour had a fluent visual way of passing this wisdom on to the reader. L'Amour demonstrated in his own life that anything is possible if one learns all that he/she can and dares to move ahead--to recognize opportunity and take advantage of it whenever and wherever it presents itself. We are only held back by by the limitations we place on ourselves. The theme of this and all of L'Amours works reveals the value of obtaining knowledge without bias, and the importance of personal integrity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man of many frontiers, 4 July 2013
John C. Loveday "John Loveday" (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
This is one of the most surprising books I have ever read.For many years I accepted the idea that Louis L'Amour was simply a writer of popular Westerns, then, on beginning to read him, I realized what an under-estimation that was.

As Education of a Wandering Man quickly shows, Louis L'Amour was an author with a very exceptional understanding of human motivation and achievement, and a notable ability to bring it to the written page. In addition to writing with loving authenticity of the American West, he had an amazingly varied and voracious reading, much of it simply mentioned in passing, but sometimes with incisive comment, recording here a love affair with the world and its wealth of books.

He was, as he says, not just a writer about the Western frontier, but was interested in any frontier, geographical, historical, scientific, and those of the human imagination. "My first stories were not of the West, but of the Far East and the prize ring," he tells us. At the time of writing them, his daily reading was of Francis Bacon, Plato, Tolstoy, Kant, Herbert Spencer and Shakespeare, as his careful lists show..

This is one of the most "down to earth" books I know, full of encounters with people of all sorts, in all sorts of places, wise, quotable on almost every page. Louis L'Amour could be at ease with most people, from hobo to professor, and at ease with himself. On these pages he is highly congenial company.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read,, 6 Aug 2010
Julian May (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Education of a Wandering Man (Paperback)
I bought this book as it was one of the books Chris McCandless had with him on his great adventure.

I can understand why Chris was so motivated by this book, as Louis is an inspiration and this book is so well written and thought provoking. It really pulls you into the travelling /tramping life and simple self reliance way of life.

Its full of great quotes and little stories which can be read and re read as to me they never get boring.

What else I like about this book is how I have been turned onto so many different books which are quoted in this book. Many a great read thanks to The Education of a Wondering Man.

The only thing I would say is you may find it a little slow in the begining, keep going its well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars louis L'amour education of a wandering man, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Education of a Wandering Man (Paperback)
I greatly enjoyed reading this book, L'Amour was a great storyteller and the stories of experiences that comprised his life are here well presented and well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone Should Read It, 22 July 2013
This gentle meandering story of the author's life through the books he read while growing up and travelling, is beautifully written. It is full of wisdom.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 12 Jun 2013
I was put onto reading this after researching the story of Christopher McCandless aka "Alexander supertramps" touching story, into the wild. In which this book played a part in his decision to abandon society's constraints. And through such found the recollection of one man's staggering life style and his healthy obsession with education. I would honestly recommend this book to all, truly enjoyable with some very intelligent concepts to be taken away with you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why don't we have this anymore!?!, 18 Oct 2012

Education of a Wandering Man
Education of a Wandering Man by Louis L'Amour (Paperback - 1 Jan 1920)