5.0 out of 5 stars Fasinating! A worthwhile read.
Published on 8 Nov. 1997

1.0 out of 5 stars NO!
Oh my, this is bad!
Published on 23 Aug. 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Fasinating! A worthwhile read., 8 Nov. 1997
This review is from: The Lost King (Star/guardian) (Mass Market Paperback)
I origionally bought this book and the following books used. At the time, I had never read anything by Margaret Weis, so I was kinda silly in buying four books I knew nothing about other than someone at sometime had referred the writing style to Star Wars. I was (and still am) a rabid Star Wars fanatic and had just gotten money for my birthday, so four books at half cover price didn't make much of a dent in my budget. On the way home, with my parents talking and driving, I jumped into the first, The Lost King. I made it as far as page 187 and was so lost I wasn't even sure when we got home. The Star of the Guardian series sat on my book shelf for nearly six years. I always reminded myself that I was going to go back and read them. I reminded myself through my parents' divorce and my mother's remarriage. Finally, for an assignment in Speech class, my sophomore year of High School, we were required to get a book and read it during class when our teacher was correcting our Vocab. I had finished all the

4.0 out of 5 stars Science Fantasy, 16 Jun. 2008
Kim Boisen (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost King (Star/guardian) (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm a huge fan of all Weis' work, and this series, while not her absolute greatest is still very strong, with an epic scale storyline, multilevelled intrigue and characters with fascinating debth.

Many of the elements are indeed clearly Star Wars ripoffs, but that doesn't detract much from the enjoyment of the overall well-written science fantasy story (at least that's what I'd call the genre).

Personally i am an even bigger fan of the spin-off novels (The Knights of the Black Earth, Hung Out & Robot Blues) detailing the not-so-heroic heroics of the Mag Force 7 mercenary band - maybe because their tone is much lighter and humourous compared to the somewhat darker atmosphere of this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can I describe that ?, 19 April 1999
This review is from: The Lost King (Star/guardian) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the most fantastic book I ever read (even if it was not the original version, but the translation in french...). Although I'm a fan of "Starwars", I think it's really better...

1.0 out of 5 stars NO!, 23 Aug. 2000
Oh my, this is bad!
Mind you, Margaret Weis is a brilliant writer, and this book is very well written, but IMHO (and please notice that this is just MY opinion, others may beg to differ) this one comes way too close to Star Wars (SW)! Let me give you three examples: First: You have a must-be-overthrown galactic republic (led by an evil man in robes) and a must-be-reestablished galactic kingdom. Exactly as in SW except that in SW it's the republic that's "good". Second: You have a lost boy, brought up on a remote planet, and who is actually the one who can save the galaxy from evil tyranny. Anyone say Luke Skywalker? And third: You have the "Blood Royal", a selected few who possess extraordinary powers enabling them to control other people in certain ways. Also, these guys have special swords that shine and buzz when turned on! I, for one, have certainly met such a bunch before! Furthermore, the warlord, Mr. Derek Sagan, reminds me a little too much of a certain person, who's clad in black and has breathing problems. This Derek Sagan thing does, however, change as the story progrsesses (a change that, to me, is rather peculiar, though!), and the presence of SW-similarities dwindles later in the series.
Another annoying point was the recurring references to certain great writers and thinkers and the like of the past (those made by the characters in the book and hence NOT the ones prior to each chapter). I take it these 4 Star of the Guardians books are supposed to take place far into the future. Maybe even thousands of years have passed - mankind has after all colonized several planets, and something great is bound to have been achieved. But apparently no great books have been written and no new, daring philosophies have been made. At least none we hear of! "20th century"-persons are mentioned every now and again, but never any from the 25th or the 28th centuries. Come on! Some books of importance must have been written in that time!
Neither does the plot offer anything new. It's not bad, I've just seen it too many times before: Evil must be defeated - good must prevail. There are no twists in this particular version of that good old story, just a straight (slightly boring) line.
This is definitely NOT Margaret Weis standard! Usually what she writes is damn good, we all know what she's capable of writing both on her own and together with Hickman, Perrin or Baldwin. And that is why I can only give this book (and the entire series for that matter) one star, even though it's well written with juicy descriptions of the environments.
But again, this is after all just my opinion ....

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best stories I have ever read!, 11 July 1996
This review is from: The Lost King (Star/guardian) (Mass Market Paperback)
Margaret Weis has written many books over the years that I
have enjoyed but this is the first that I believe has a
touch of greatness. Margaret has created a new universe
never before seen and it is fantastic. This book is written
in such a way as to never give away what is going to happen
next with more twists and turns than a bag of pretzels.
This book is one that will make you take the day off work to
finish and I suggest order the next volumes ahead of time or
you will regret it when you finish this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Fascinating! Overwhelming!, 28 April 1998
This review is from: The Lost King (Star/guardian) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is simply the most fascinating sci-fi-story since Star Wars, and indeed even better (from a certain point of view... <g>) The characters are real great and seem alive - it hurts turning the last page and know it's over! Hallo, Hollywood - what about making a movie out of this story? Until now I only know the German version, but as for I watch my favourite movies only in original version, I believe the original books even are *better* than them. Can't wait to stick my nose in!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply incredible, 19 April 1998
This review is from: The Lost King (Star/guardian) (Mass Market Paperback)
This book and the three that follow is one of the most memorable and fabulous I have ever read. I had read about the series and I had loved other books by Margaret Weiss. Finally I bought the whole series and I loved it. There's some wonderful humour and some really memorable characters. I don't think I'll ever forget the wonderful characters who inhabit the galaxy of Star of the Guardians. In fact, my handle for online chat is taken from that series! I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fantasy, 21 May 1999
This review is from: The Lost King (Star/guardian) (Mass Market Paperback)
My my, if Sagan were a real man, who could resist him? What a great bunch of characters Ms Weis has drawn. Interestingly enough, the two who are supposed to be ancilliary charaters (Maigrey and Sagan)steal the show. Dion is simply a nice reason for the book to be written, but the real story is Maigrey and Sagan. I love the little literary touches (Peter Robes=Robespierre from the French revolution, etc)and the poetry and philosophy quotations at chapter heads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best SciFi/Fantasy epic ever written!, 1 April 1999
This review is from: The Lost King (Star/guardian) (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was introduced to me by a teacher, and I thank her for it. I usually read pure fantasy but this book puts a nice twist of science fiction and fantasy together. Myths and magic with spaceships and technology all rolled into one. The characters are very real and so are their emotions and actions. The story and plot are original and ingenious. I recommend this book to anyone. (No matter what you like to read.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lost King is one of my favorite books, 2 Jan. 1998
This review is from: The Lost King (Star/guardian) (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book. The characters in it are excellent. This is definately the best book in the Star of the Guardians series. If you ask me, this book is right up there with David Edding's "Belgariad" and "Mallorean" series, which was also one of my favorites. I highly recommend it if you love romance, science fiction, or both.

The Lost King (Star/guardian)
The Lost King (Star/guardian) by Margaret Weis (Mass Market Paperback - 31 Jan. 1991)
Used & New from: £0.01