5.0 out of 5 stars Very much to my taste
Well, compared with previous reviewers I am obviously a simple soul and easily pleased but I found this book just as delightful and improbable as the earlier one and have no hesitation in recommending it to those with an eye for the ridculously funny in the characters and plot.
Published on 28 Jan. 2013 by Ian Purvis

1.0 out of 5 stars Rambling
Published on 28 Sept. 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Rambling, 28 Sept. 2001
This review is from: The Widows Club (Mass Market Paperback)
The summary on the cover of the book sounded really interesting. I expected the story to be both intriguing and amusing. Instead, I found that it rambled on and, like a previous reviewer, I skipped pages, hoping to find an interesting chapter. The author tries too hard to make the 2 lady detectives sound quaint, but only succeeds in making them irritating. I got so bored with the story that I failed to finish reading the book. And I didn't even care what I would have missed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Indigestible prose mars plot, 7 July 1997
This review is from: The Widows Club (Mass Market Paperback)
I found the prose style of this book to be disjointed, jumpy, and choppy. It is definitely not the clean, clear, direct, stick-to-business prose of say, Agatha Christie. The writing is not smooth. The "plot" or story line seems to get lost at times; it becomes rambling, episodic, and seemingly endless. At times, it reads like a "bodice ripper" instead of a mystery. It is told in the first person by Ellie Haskell, interrupted by occasional comments from the Tramwell sisters. But would Ellie really tell her most personal and intimate thoughts to the Tramwells--complete strangers? I think not.

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this book..., 21 Sept. 1998
This review is from: The Widows Club (Mass Market Paperback)
since I loved her first one, The Thin Woman. I jumped into The Widow's Club with two feet and found that it was disjointed and plain boring. The plot had potential, but Ms. Cannell rambled on at such length that I found myself skimming pages and wondering when it would be over. I was disappointed in this book. Only the last ten pages were at all worth my time, but that may have been simply because I saw a light at the end of the tunnel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very much to my taste, 28 Jan. 2013

The Widows Club
The Widows Club by Dorothy Cannell (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1992)