5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting novel.
I first read "Dandelion Wine" when I was a sixteen-year-old schoolgirl. I was heavily into Science Fiction, and had read some of Bradbury's short stories. My favourite English teacher loaned me his copy of the novel.
Published on 24 Aug 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Episodic
'Dandelion Wine' does not have the tight narrative structure of 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'. It is rather a collection of episodes (some of which were also used as short stories) that are (just about) held together by continuity of the group of characters and by the personality of the small town. There are passages of fine writing mixed with workmanlike linking...
Published 17 months ago by Dr Michael C Thorne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting novel., 24 Aug 2000
By A Customer
I was surprised to find that it wasn't Science Fiction. However, I was soon enchanted by Bradbury's depiction of one golden summer in the life of an American boy.
I remember laughing and crying while I read the book. It was wonderful - sheer poetry.
I'm now a middle-aged woman, and Bradbury's words still move me. Read "Dandelion Wine". You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Summer is Made Of, 4 Sep 2003
They say childhood ends when you start to remember it. Twelve year old Douglas is on the verge of this moment. He is realizing that summer is made of certain sounds, sights, smells, experiences. But somehow he also realizes that -- once past childhood -- we notice these glories much less often. Afraid of losing these things, he begins to keep a diary off all that he learns, all that he notices, all that happens.
This book is nothing short of magical. Bradbury captures the essence of summer seen through the eyes of a child who is gently leaving childhood behind. You will remember the small American town and its inhabitants for years after you've turned the last page. Simply said, you must read this book. Steal from your children's piggy bank to buy it if you must, but you have to read this book. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to be alive, 16 Nov 2002
The Tedster (West Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dandelion Wine (Paperback)
A wonderful evocation of growing up in small town USA in that post WW2 time when everything seemed possible, and the world took one big breath of hope for the future. The story captures the feelings of its central narrator, a small boy who realises the joy of being alive. By the end he has become aware of his own mortality.
Bradbury's human beings are caught as living, sentient beings via his magical prose style. Not a book to study in class, but one to be read under the covers. Full of a wisdom we all take for granted.
Get out there and feel the sun on your face, the rain on your back, the earth under your feet and the air in your lungs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The past has been bottled..., 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dandelion Wine (Kindle Edition)
"The wine was summer caught and stoppered".
And this book is summer caught and printed, from its June freshness through to its late August laziness. Haunting and mesmerising in its intensity and beautiful use of language, this is an outstanding book. A series of vignettes of life in small-town USA in the summer of 1928, it feels as fresh and vivid as though it was written yesterday. The scenes involve 12-year-old Doug, his brother Tom and their grandparents, as well as other superbly drawn characters from the town where they live. In addition to the balmy evenings on porches, blissful afternoons at the soda fountain and the simple joy of feeling alive in the summer sunshine, the story has its dark side. Like Twin Peaks, all is not necessarily sweetness and light behind the white picket fences and a serial killer lurks in the ravine that divides the town.
Full of joy, wonder, awe, magic, it's a book that I know I will return to, perhaps when next summer comes around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 1 Feb 2001
By A Customer
Like the previous reviewer I bought this book expecting something else. It is quite an extraordinary work that reminded me of "To Kill A Mockingbird" in its depiction of children trying to relate to events and people around them over the course of a summer. Bradbury interweaves some elements of fantasy but in a way that is neither obtrusive nor irrelevant to the very human stories within. If Bradbury were not so strongly associated with Sci-fi I think this book would be lauded more and would indeed be considered a modern classic alongside Harper Lee's tome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dandelion Wine (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book probably fifty years ago and loved it. My daughter read it on my recommendation and also loved it. It is one of my 'comfort reads' and now I have it on Kindle it goes everywhere with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Dandelion Wine (Paperback)
This book captures summer, summer is about freedom and living to the full in only a few months. Everytime i see this book on my shelf i smile, i hope you will to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most beautiful novel, 25 Aug 2012
This review is from: Dandelion Wine (Paperback)
This is the most beautiful novel I've read in a long, long time. Bradbury is best known for science fiction, but this is not of that genre; it's a tenderly told tale about small-town America in the 1920's. It captures the magical feeling of being a child during "endless summer," and it also paints poignantly vibrant pictures of the older residents of the town. The prose is exquisite and the character portraits are vivid and loving. I believe this book has just become my new "best loved" novel and I'll be re-reading it many times to come. It's just wonderful, sweet, beautifully written. It will remind you of being a kid and it will also strike a chord about getting older, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars For every man who was ever a boy., 13 Mar 2012
Mr. D. Pearson "DSP" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dandelion Wine (Paperback)
One of the best novels I have ever read. A superb evocation of childhood in mid America, beautifully poetic with just enough fantasy to please Ray Bradbury's Sci-fi fans as well.
To all men I say - if you were ever a boy, or still are at heart, you should read this book.
(To Amazon - please make this available on Kindle!)

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 30 Nov 2011
W. Parfitt (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dandelion Wine (Paperback)
One of the best novels ever written .... I read it first in my teens and it profoundly affected the way I viewed the world - in a most positive sense ... now 40+ years later, I re-read - deeply moving story ... interestingly, I remembered the story was all about life - but re-reading it now I realise from an older adult perspective it is a wonderful meditation on life AND death. read it and be amazed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dandelion Wine (Grand Master Editions)
Dandelion Wine (Grand Master Editions) by Ray Bradbury (Mass Market Paperback - 30 Nov 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01