5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection
Published on 6 Feb 2011 by Pros and Cons

1.0 out of 5 stars who picked these?
Honestly, if these are the best short stories they could find I amazed.

They may represent what some high brow reviewers might consider good but I am afraid I found many not worth reading.

Published on 5 Feb 2012 by Dunedin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, 6 Feb 2011
Pros and Cons (Seoul, South Korea) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Great Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
I borrowed this from the library last weekend and have read about ten of the stories so far. I've already decided to buy a copy though. The stories are varied and really nicely chosen. I was particularly happy to read James Thurber's 'The Catbird Seat.' I'd never read any Thurber but will now definitely look out for more of his stories, he's got this wicked sense of humour that reminded me of Roald Dahl's adult fiction

This is a nice mix of well known stories, like Flannery O'Connor's 'A Good Man is hard to Find,' and things I'd not come across before; E.M. Forster's, 'The Other Side of the Fence,' was surprisingly different from any of his novels - more quirky, like a mixture of H.G. Wells and Kafka - an alternative world / sci-fi thing, totally unexpected from Forster.

What I really like about this anotholgoy is that it's opened up my reading. I've come across some writers here that I've not read before but will now explore there work further.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice collection, 7 April 2014
This review is from: 50 Great Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
Some excellent ones, some I didn't really like too much. But a great book to dip into from time to time. I haven't finished it yet though

4.0 out of 5 stars some a little out of date, 13 Dec 2012
Peggy Michaela Jonas "Peggy" (Vitoria, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Great Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm not one for judging literature but some of the stories are a bit difficult to follow. Yet I enjoyed many of the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT COLLECTION OF SHORT STORIES, 11 Dec 2010
Eleni - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 50 Great Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
This is an excellent collection of short stories from the past hundred years, edited by Milton Crane. It includes short stories by some of the best and most influential English, American and Continental writers, including Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling, Henry James, O Henry, Dorothy Parker, Edgar Allan Poe, Robert Louis Stevenson, Anton Chekhov, and Guy de Maupassant, to name just a few. Emphasis is given on English speaking writers, but the few short stories from non English speaking writes are excellently selected and well translated.

The fifty great short stories of this collection have very different themes and as they are very different, they provide an excellent understanding of the short story genre, its history, and the wide range of subjects and styles used by various writers during the past century.

I have most of these stories in various individual collections in my library, but it is very convenient to have them all in one collection. I also bought this as a gift for a friend, who is just beginning to explore the wonderful world of short stories. As this collection includes some of my favorite stories, like Dorothy Parker's "The Standard of Living" and Poe's "The Masque of Red Death", the gift to my friend is also very special and personal.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good collection, 7 July 2011
This review is from: 50 Great Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
The copy of my book is from 1952 but I'm pretty sure it's the same one so I will review it here. It's difficult to give a star rating to a book with fifty different stories and authors, and it is nearly impossible to describe or rate each one, but as a collection this is a very good and interesting book. I have never read most of the authors in here and have never even heard of several of them. I would say that I enjoyed at least two-thirds of the stories, and was pleasantly surprised to discover so many good writers. It also confirmed my conviction that there were much better writers in this time period, as I can't imagine an editor finding fifty good modern writers to put into a similar collection, but that's just me. I could list my favourites here but I don't think it would help anyone much - let me just say that this is definitely worth checking out.

1.0 out of 5 stars who picked these?, 5 Feb 2012
This review is from: 50 Great Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
Honestly, if these are the best short stories they could find I amazed.

I took this book on holiday to give me some variety but found myself lpooking for another book before I got 1/4 way through. There is little real variety and some types of fiction are simply ommitted.

Sorry but not my cup of tea. Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars unquestionably the best collection i've ever read!, 11 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: 50 Great Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
I've had my copy since jr high school...it's about time to buy a new one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great stories/? By whom?, 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: 50 Great Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
Milton Crane is obviously needs to check what the word "great" mean in the dictionary.These a just a stories and non of them I would've qualified as even interesting. There are some interesting adjectives used for one but the stories it seems are the early works of the autors and non of them has been able to pump any trill into it.

1.0 out of 5 stars umm if not the worst definitely the second worst book I have ever read, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: 50 Great Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, this book has been a huge disappointment. First of all, I bought this product because it was "fiction". This book does not contain fiction in my opinion. My definition of fiction is a story that it is extraordinary and highly unlikely to happen. This book does not fit into this category, maybe a few stories do (not more than 5), but the rest do not. The writing style varies so I cannot comment on that, there were stories that had my attention throughout and stories I skipped halfway through because I found extremely boring. The back cover says "50 Great Short Stories is a comprehensive selection from the world's finest short fiction." and this is definitely not the case. They are more like everyday situations that happen to specific groups of people. Disappointing.

50 Great Short Stories
50 Great Short Stories by Milton Crane (Mass Market Paperback - 20 Mar 2012)