Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 9 January 1999
I've admired Wambaugh's books since I read THE CHOIRBOYS almost twenty years ago. In spite of the horrors he so effectively expressed, I pursued a career in law enforcement, serving for for years with the Kansas City, Missouri Police Department. Now I'm writing several police novels of my own. THE DELTA STAR is one of my favorite novels altogether. You get partnered with Detective Mario Villalobos as he investigates the homicide of a prostitute named Missy Moonbeam. You get drunk with the Bad Czech, Jane Wayne, and Rumpled Ronald as they drink away the angst of the street. And you realize that the Gooned-Out Vice Cop's syllogism of people being garbage hits close to home.
This is one of several Wambaugh novels I keep by my word processor. He's not only a veteran cop and a talented writer. Wambaugh's an inspiration.
on 23 June 2014
if you liked "the choirboys"(film or book),then it's about time you explored the rest of this author's catalogue for the gems contained there...never read a J.W. book i didn't thoroughly enjoy..trouble is i've now read them all...time to start from the beginning again,i guess..:)
on 24 August 2012
I chose this book at random and was hooked as soon as I started reading it. For me, it was one of those books that as you get nearer the end you start reading more slowly because you just don't want it to end!
on 5 June 2013
Not my type of book but I bought it for my brother in law as he is a fan. He was highly delighted with it.
on 30 April 2016
excellent wambaugh in his own special style-delivered on time
on 28 July 2009
I am reading Mr Wambaugh's books in the order in which they were written. All have been good or excellent so far, but this was poor. Every chapter contained 10 pages of cops drinking, and 5 pages of cops having hangovers. The plot was weak, and not very interesting. There were some interesting moments but overall this book isn't worth reading.