5.0 out of 5 stars An Autobiography by a Deafblind Author
Published on 5 Aug 2005 by G. Buchanan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really my style of writing.
I found the book intersting but not really a style of writing I found particulary easy to get into. The letter form the book took as you progressed through it was a sign of the times in which the book was written. However that doesn't take away from the fact she was an incredible person.
Published 23 months ago by susan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Autobiography by a Deafblind Author, 5 Aug 2005
This book is Helen Keller's autobiography and is somewhat unusual because Helen Keller was deafblind. It is beautifully written and although I don't necessary agree with all the conclusions drawn by the author of the introduction, I found the autobiography very moving to read. Much of the time Helen wrote in a way that you would not realise she could neither see nor hear anything around her.
The fact that Miss Keller was not deaf from birth but became deafblind as a very small child following an illness makes her achievements particularly incredible. She had to re-learn her communication skills and this is due in no small part to her teacher and mentor, Annie Sullivan. Miss Keller came from a wealthy family who were prepared to go to endless lengths to help their daughter to live a fulfilling life, and it is thanks to them and to Miss Sullivan that we have Miss Keller's writings and pioneering work for deaf and deafblind people.
This is an incredible book to read and it also provides some interesting cameos of some of the people Miss Keller met (such as Mark Twain) because her letters are included at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars helen kellers life story, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Story of My Life (A Bantam classic) (Mass Market Paperback)
first read this book nearly fifty years ago and still find it an excelent book

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Interesting Insight into the World of those who are Deaf and Dumb, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: Story of My Life (Hardcover)
Having become an admirer of Helen Keller at first 'sight', I have read her Life Story several times over the years and always have -and will- recommend (and make a present of) it to my pupils, friends and acquaintances to introduce them to the qualities of strength and willpower on Helen's behalf, and of patience and devotion on Miss Sullivan's.
However, I had never seen the film. It may not be everyone's cup of tea (my husband was much less enthusiastic, but it was a great help to me to understand just how patient and determined at the same time Miss Sullivan was with her charge and how lucky Helen was to have parents who a) could afford to hire someone to help their daughter and b) were willing to trust Miss Sullivan entirely, even when she went completely against their way of dealing with their daughter. How rewarding the result was is History! NOT TO BE MISSED!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 6 May 2010
Hellen keller is a truly inspired woman and amazing encourager to over come the challenges we individulay face!!
with the work she did, as someone who has lost hearing and sight she truly gives us alot to think about, because if she can do what she did, we surely can do what need should need to do! Change the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars unfortunately not on sale in the UK I got it via Amazon, 25 Mar 2012
A fascinating 75-page autobiography by an extremely disabled, yet highly gifted, sensitive, likeable, very literate deaf-blind young woman of 23, she tells how she has managed to make the progress she has. (Later in her life she campaigned for the rights of disabled people and went round the world lecturing about the blind and deaf.) This is an inspiring read, both for the disabled and able-bodied.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really my style of writing., 9 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Good Read, 8 Nov 2012
I am still reading this book, but so far it is well written. Can you imagine what is must be like to not only be deaf but blind also? This young girl is incredible. Helen has such resolve and determination. I saw the film of her life many years ago, it was heartbreaking. I now feel I know this young lady and would love her as my own

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, if short factual read., 26 Oct 2009
Mrs. D. A. Bremner (Scotland) - See all my reviews
A heartwarming & at times funny autobiography showing how even the most severe disabilities of deaf/blindness can be overcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen Keller the story of my life, 15 Sep 2014
L. P. Starling "p star" (london) - See all my reviews
I was thrilled reading this book. I was unable to put it down until I finished reading it. I find this story very well written by Helen Keller. I truly believe that she was a remarkable person. Having been born with sight and hearing, then suddenly become blind and deaf from fever and then for it to disappear as quickly as it came. How she never gave up her ambition to learn and go to college shows she had her own mind a very gripping story. I enjoyed this book greatly. An inspiration to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Story of My Life (Hardcover)
love the film. love the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Story of My Life (A Bantam classic)
The Story of My Life (A Bantam classic) by Helen. Keller (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Jan 1991)