Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 9 September 2015
This book is the account of Anne, Gilbert, and family after they had moved to Ingleside but when the children were still quite young. Bertha Marilla (Rilla) is born during this book. It is full of incident and poetic imagery in L. M. Montgomery's own style, and on the whole it is a happy book. There are some unhappy experiences, but good comes out of them. We read about young Jem wanting to go to the town to see someone being tattooed! Later on we see his love for dogs - and what comes of it. We read about poetic Walter, spending time with a family who tease him - and how he gets up in the night and walks home! Later on we read about the Ladies Aiders realising, with horror, that Walter has been listening to their conversation! We see Di, making friends with the wrong sort of girls - the girl with false tales of grandeur; the girl who fantasises about being ill-treated and who ends up telling lies about Di (and we see Di's scornful reaction!); We read about Nan's vivid imagination and its consequences - her idea that God wants her to walk round a graveyard at night, and, later, her fantasies about The Lady with the Mysterious Eyes. Then there is the time she thinks she was exchanged for another baby at birth! We read about how Rilla feels about carrying a cake! Then we read about Anne wondering if Gilbert still loves her and how that turns out. Throughout the book we see the children making up names of places and weaving imaginary stories around them, just as Anne did when she was young. And there is much, much, more! This is a great book, full of the fruits of L. M. Montgomery's great imagination.
on 19 July 2009
I'm an Anne fan.I was a little dissapointed with the last Anne movie (The continuing story) because they changed the storyline and characters quite a bit...But then I read the books again to get my lovely characters back!These stories can always make me smile and I just wish I could live in that world:)
on 13 December 1998
I love Anne of Ingleside! Some people don't like hearing about her children, but I do. I love the way that she can help her children:from her son Walter thinking she is dying, to her daughter Nan making deals with God. I love this book inside and out and it is one you can't pass up.
on 27 January 1998
If you like romantic endings you'll love the last three chapters of "Anne of Ingleside".And if you just love "Anne' you'll love the rest of the book,you'll see Anne heiping her children through their problems and her own. Hope you like it!!!
on 14 November 2009
Anne of Ingleside (A Bantam classic)

One of the better books in this series where we see the family growing up and how each of them grows as well as Anne.
on 25 August 2014
Cant wait to read the story as I've only ever read the first one.. this publication isn't as good quality as some other publishing companies. But good value for money.
on 17 February 1997
This is one of my favorite books by Lucy Maud Montgomery (or any author for that matter) and I've read most of her works. Each chapter reads like an individual short story and the tales are beautiful and funny. A must-read for any Montgomery fan.
on 17 July 1999
After reading this book, my first impression is that I wanna be a mother too! I wanna be the kind of mother like Anne...who is so comforting, understanding, caring, loving and wise all the time. She loves all six of her children, loving them very much without spoiling them; teaching them to be good without being very strict..! I think if I were to become a mother in the future, I would act like Anne too!
on 28 January 2015
Came on time, thank you! My daughter is reading all of Anne gables series.
on 19 May 2010
I wasn't sure what to expect as the fifth book hadn't been up to the usual standards, but this was perfect. Anne didn't feature in it quite as much as previous books and the focus began to shift to her children and their adventures. But as Montgomery is such a brilliant writer I enjoyed reading about Anne's children as much as I did reading about Anne herself. I can't wait to get started on the seventh book, Rainbow Valley.