5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant book
Published on 21 Feb 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better
I'd heard a lot about this book, so was really looking forward to reading it. So far it's a let down (I've stopped reading); although it tries to tackle real issues there is no grounding, it's dissappointing as it is mainly based on conjecture.
Published 15 months ago by L V POWELL

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant book, 21 Feb 2000
By A Customer
A friend gave me this book for Christmas. It answers all the questions I have ever wanted to ask about my body and my health. I have also been able to relate aspects of it to my mother and my sister's lives. The book is packed with detailed information about every aspect of woman's health. But what makes it special is the wonderful soothing way in which Northrup writes. She explains just how much every feeling and emotion we hav affects our health. It was a wonderful eye-opener and made me understand so much more about why women respond to illness the way they do.
I also loved the sections on women and creativity.
A wonderful and wise book that you will want to read time and time again. Definitely a book for everyone I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring... 10 stars!, 13 Mar 2002
I have to confess, I have only so far read the sections which apply to my current situation. However, it has supplied me with more information on that particular subject matter than my G.P has in 5 visits!
She offers a range of treatments, recognising the alternative as well as the medical, and supports them with her patients' responses.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Health Guide for Women!, 26 Sep 2002
This book is an essential for any woman who wants to understand more about her body and overall health - especially for those who suffer from any kind of gynalogical complaint, including endometriosis and other menstrual problems, fibroids and the menopause. The author is knowledgeable not only in conventional Western medicine, but also in Eastern ideas of energy flow, chakras and self-healing. It is a well-balanced blend of East meets West for those who are interested in any kind of alternative healing when standard drug treatments either don't work or apply, but are tentative of letting go of the Western medical tradition all together.
There is plenty of discussion about nutrition - straightforward advice about which vitamins and minerals are needed for optimal female health, even how to relieve cramps with the right balance in your diet. As a full-time mother and working doctor, the author is sympathetic to the demands of motherhood and offers a great deal of practical encouragement and support. With a reassuring and understanding manner, she opens the door to a self-healing ability every woman has in her, no matter the problem or trauma she has experienced. A must for any woman who wants to live to her full potential.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book about my body., 31 July 2000
By A Customer
I purchased this book from Amazon late last year and I really don't regret it. This book is is a wonderful guide to women's health. I use it like a reference book now and I keep going back to it for more :o) I like the way Dr Northrup writes about herself, her patients and medical studies, and the way she expresses herself: it just seems to flow. This is one of my favourite books and I stongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changer., 22 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This is the only book I've ever read which I can honestly say changed my life. I now view my body, my health and creativity with a completely new perspective. It made me look at my choice of career and at how I was living my life, making me realise my creative needs were not being met. It kicked off a chain of decisions which resulted in my becoming a fitness instructor (rather than a City-based IT specialist). There's a lot in the book about abuse, which I couldn't relate to, but five years after I read it I still dip into it frequently and am always touched when I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 14 Dec 2001
Ms. K. S. Rodgers "Karen Rodgers" (Cambridge, CAMBS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wish I had benn able to read this book 15 years ago; it would have saved me a lot of illness and unhappiness. Every teenage girl should have access to a copy, preferably also with a sympathetic trusted person with whom she can discuss issues arising.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every woman should own this book, 20 July 2009
This book provides a wealth of information on the common problems women have, and the available medical solutions and interventions. The author is a very open-minded gynaecologist who has witnessed the amazing successes of alternative approaches too, and she shares many case-studies and suggestions for seeking help outside of the conventional health-services. She is not territorial, in that sense, and encourages women to get involved, make their own decisions and take responsibility for their health.

She presents scientific evidence to back up the information in the book, and talks about the possible causes of various health issues, including emotional causes, and how to explore those. The book is amazingly useful for someone faced with a health issue and decisions regarding medical interventions. It gives detailed information about the medical procedures themselves, many of which the author has performed, and also provides suggesions for dietary and other approaches which can be used in place of, or to complement, those. Whether the reader is pro or anti alternative-therapies, this is an excellent resource.

You don't have to have a health issue to enjoy this book, however. It is a really interesting and entertaining read, helping the reader to tap in to their own 'inner wisdom'.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book for Every Woman, 5 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Sensible, realistic, no airy fairy 'self-improvement' stuff here; this book looks at the stresses and strains on our bodies and treats us seriously!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must book for all women to have in their library., 29 Oct 1998
By A Customer
Dr. Northrup's Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom has been a constant source for me to refer to for creating my own health by using her many guidelines and realizing there is an inner wisdom to tap into. I have purchased at least 15 copies for family and friends, because I believe all women should have this book. Her monthly newsletter, tapes, and video tapes are excellent, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 8 May 2013

Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom
Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom by Christine Northrup (Hardcover - April 1998)
Used & New from: 5.43