5.0 out of 5 stars My family's favorite all-season vegetarian cookbook, 14 July 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Fields of Greens: New Vegetarian Recipes from the Celebrated Greens Restaurant (Hardcover)
Fields of Greens has been my family's favorite vegetarian cookbook for a few years now. The recipes are simple to follow, the descriptions of processes are well described, and the flavors are fresh and provocative without being trendy (no "nouveau" anything -- just an intriguing presentation of each food's essence). I reach for this book more than any other; it has replaced Moosewood and even the Tassajara books because, I think, of its lighter, more interesting approach to vegetarian cooking. Madison moves beyond the boring 70's soybean cookies and nutritional yeast gravy to offer wonderful pairings of vegetables and grains, beans and broth, fruit and herbs. My highest recommendation for any book is my giving it as a gift -- in hardcover -- to friends who would never buy such a thing for themselves. That's the space, and the recommendation, this book commands.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one cookbook I would not be without, 10 April 2008
Daniela Haller (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
If I was only allowed to have one cookbook this would be the one. The recipes are consistent and reliable although perhaps a little more time-consuming than in some other cookbooks. The extra trouble is however well worth it: the dishes are delicious - interesting and subtle, with layers of different tastes. I have been making some of the recipes for years and yet nobody has got tired of them yet. For a while it seemed to be hard to get this book so it's nice to see that it is available again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best cookbook I own!, 7 July 1998
By A Customer
I started ernestly cooking vegetarian food a couple of years ago. I have amassed a large resource of vegetarian cookbooks and recipes. The cookbook I return to often, especially when I want to make something I can depend upon, is Annie Somerville's book. Her recipes are always reliable and use ingredients that I can come by pretty easily (in the Northwest). She has taught me a lot about how to cook with recipe explanations that really tell you what you're doing without making you feel you need a chef's degree in order to pull it off. And often, when I can choose between a couple of resources to make the same thing, Annie's recipe tastes better. I wish she would put another cookbook together. Why let Deborah Madsen have all the fun?

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit exotic, 19 Feb 1998
By A Customer
The recipes are a little exotic with unusal vegetables and combinations, but a excellent cookbook nonetheless. A great cookbook for recipes for a romantic dinner that is completely vegetarian.

Fields of Greens: New Vegetarian Recipes from the Celebrated Greens Restaurant