5.0 out of 5 stars Every recipe sublime. Perfect for foodies, veggie or not.
The Greens Cookbook has, for many years, been my first point of reference when I want to prepare something extraordinary tasting, either just for myself, or for a houseful of guests. In fact, the early edition was one of the few items I brought with me when I moved overseas as a student in 1990.

Yes, some of the recipes are, in the author's words, "a labor of...
Published on 7 Nov 2006 by Jonathan Pex

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that extraordinary
The black bean chill recipe is the main reason for buying this book =- it is FAB!
I was a bit disssapointed with the rest of it. I will have another look though and see if I can find another meal that appeals.
Published 17 months ago by Jane Metcalfe

5.0 out of 5 stars Every recipe sublime. Perfect for foodies, veggie or not., 7 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant (Hardcover)

Yes, some of the recipes are, in the author's words, "a labor of love" to prepare, but there also plenty of simple and practical instructions, ranging from a failsafe way to boil eggs to grilling peppers and making salad dressings.

I have happily worked my way through the cookbook - and through its companion, "Fields of Greens" - and all of the dishes I have made, without exception, are sensational. Guidelines in the book are clear, and, in my view, easy enough for beginners to follow.

It would be difficult to say what my favourite recipe is, but the book is worth buying for these five:

<UL>

<LI><A> Chinese Noodle Salad with Roasted Eggplant (the dish I always take to parties)</A></LI>

<LI><A> Cheese and Nut Loaf (a special treat that makes great sandwiches)</A></LI>

<LI><A> Pizza Dough and garlic oil (I make these often, and my friends say it's the best pizza they have ever tasted)</A>

<LI><A> Baked Polenta Layered with Tomato, Fontina, and Gorgonzola (tastes as good as it sounds)</A></LI>

<LI><A>Cherry and Apricot Crumble (augments the humble crumble into something sublime.)</A></UL>

This book is for people who love good food and love to cook. And I'm not even a vegetarian!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful flavours, 15 Feb 2008
R. Potts (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greens Cookbook (Hardcover)
Until I met my wife, I was not really into vegetarian food, and was basically carnivorous. Over the years, I have learned both to cook and to enjoy a lot more vegetarian food, which in any case seems to have improved immeasurably in Britain over the past ten years or so.
This book is superb. Despite some reviews in the US saying that the recipes were too complicated or time-consuming, I really don't think they are (it only takes a few minutes to grind some spices; is that really so hard?); besides, I like to spend a bit of time in the kitchen if I'm making something special.
They use ingredients which are now widely available in larger cities, with a Mexican twist in a lot of cases; the black bean recipes thrilled my wife (who, Miami-bred, has rarely found "proper" black bean dishes over here, and has high standards): black bean chilli, black bean soup, black bean chilaquiles - the last is layers of tortilla with a red, roasted-garlic sauce, black bean chill, sour cream, mozarella and cheddar, cooked in the oven - I was amazed how well it all came together.
The winter vegetable stew, with cumin, chilli, cardomom and coconut milk, turned out to be breathtaking; lovely flavours, just the right afterglow of heat from each mouthful. Following these recipes really does lead to perfect flavouring. This has rapidly become a favourite cook book.

4.0 out of 5 stars lucky vegetarians!, 28 Aug 2002
miss lisa anderson (bethersden, kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The Greens Cookbook contains some of the very best vegetarian receipes you can find. This is gourmet stuff, fit for the ritziest of parties but still plenty of choice for everyday.
Some of the terminology can be tricky, since American vegetables can be called something quite different - many are in common usage here but some of the herbs need a dictionery to translate

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite vegetarian cookbook, 2 Mar 2010
Finlay (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greens Cookbook (Hardcover)
I love this book.

I don't say this lightly because I have a fair number of cookery books. But this is the only one where every pretty much every recipe sounds like one I would like to eat. Moreover, nothing is too complicated and most use easy found ingredients and standard equipment,

So I know I can make pretty much every one with what I can find in the average supermarket and with the equipment I have in my kitchen.

There is a good mixture of everyday and things that are more fancy as well as recipes for bread and other staples. My sour dough starter is currently bubbling! Our favourite meal is the blackbean chilli - which we use on its own, for tortilla and as soup etc. Also loving the cheese and nut loaf, which - I agree - is great in sandwiches with pickles. Good section in particular on soups, where there are good ideas on how to produce tasty stocks.

Would unreservedly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite vegetarian cookbook, 29 July 1999
By A Customer
I've had this book for several years and it's a firm favourite; from the lentil salad with feta, mint and roasted peppers, to yellow split pea soup to toasted almond butter cookies. Wonderful recipes, far from bland. Only downside is that measures are only in American (cups, etc.) - pity they're not also in metric.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Vegetarian Recipes, 21 Jun 2006
One of my favourite recipe books, certainly the best vegetarian book around - the recipes are easy to follow, mostly low-fat and delicious too. My copy of this book is nearly worn-out - and stained with splashes of each recipe. My favourites in this book are black bean chilli, pizza nicoise, the bread recipes and it is particularly good for unusual salads and pasta sauces.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that extraordinary, 4 July 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars No pictures, 6 April 2013
This review is from: The Greens Cookbook (Paperback)
A recipe book without photos these days is very unusual, but here we have one. Many lovely sounding recipes, though I haven't made anything from it yet, yes, probably because I didn't see a visual that caught my eye. Shame!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the flavours of Deborah Madison's recipes, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Greens Cookbook (Paperback)
Ordered this to go with the second book which I have had for years. Have already made some of the recipes - the squash stew with ground nuts and the cheese and mushroom slice - both great. Definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greens Cookbook, 11 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Greens Cookbook (Paperback)
There is a big attraction in lavishly illustrated cookery books in as much as what the finished dish could look like, but sometimes one can get the impression that the illustrations are more important than the recipes. The Greens Cookbook does not fall into that trap. When I showed my sister my copy - she has more cookery books than I have, she was not into getting yet another until she looked up Sorell - which is growing in her garden, found a description and recipe, thumbed through the rest of the very clearly written recipes, and said, I will get my own copy. It makes a change to get a book where there are more than half a dozen recipes than one likes, especially when the genre is relatively small. It does not fall into a common trap - a lovely Italian Vegetarian book I have which assumes that everyone makes their own pasta - there is a nice section on pasta here, nor does it meet the aims of the brilliant Vegistan, although there is clearly a Mexican influence in some of the recipes - but the palette is very broad. One reviewer described it as an extraordinary book in enthusiasm, scope and clarity: it is

Used & New from: £0.01