5.0 out of 5 stars great books
love judy astley books cant get enough of them. she doesn`t write
enough of them. really enjoyable. easy to follow and very amusing.
fi
Published on 15 Sep 2011 by ladyshipfi

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont waste your luggage allowance
Published 22 months ago by Dream Diver

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont waste your luggage allowance, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Unchained Melanie (Paperback)
For a book that was actually very well written I was extremely disappointed. Was there a plot? It seemed to me just stereotypical characters (husband, neighbour, mother, daughter in particular) thrown together and the ending was too predictable. I didnt find it funny just a bit annoying.It was meant to be a holiday read but I'm glad I didnt waste the luggage allowance taking it. As an estranged wife myself, perhaps I just wasnt ready for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars New author to me, great book!, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Unchained Melanie (Paperback)
This is the first book I've read by Judy Astley. Found the book in Hay-On-Wye and thought it looked like a fun, light-hearted book, which it is.

There a funny moments in the book, and the characters are likeable even if they seem a little bit flat at times. The plot wasn't especially strong, but I guess that can be expected from a book that isn't too serious. I did feel like some things were left sort of unanswered or ended abruptly with no second thought (don't want to spoil anything though!). It did seem odd that Melanie didn't seem very bothered about her only child going to university, she didn't seem to think about her at all, or even contact her!

Overall though, this is an enjoyable book that is easy to read and quite funny. I would definitely recommend it, it's a great summer holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great books, 15 Sep 2011
love judy astley books cant get enough of them. she doesn`t write
enough of them. really enjoyable. easy to follow and very amusing.
fi

2.0 out of 5 stars not quite up to scratch..., 8 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Unchained Melanie (Paperback)
Normally, on opening a Judy Astley book, I become consumed by the myriad characters, the chaotic family life, the sometimes slightly sordid undertones....but this book was an exception. For a start, the Melanie of the title lives alone, so whilst we are treated to glimpses of her (ex) husband and daughter's lives, we do not get the sense of family life that we do in Astley's previous novels. In its place is much pontificating on the pleasures of being able to live alone, which leads to a somewhat empty feeling- the main character is very solitary and even her misadventures feel very pedestrian. (She rebels by having a garden makeover and betting small amounts on the GGs, which says it all really... )
I also found it very unsympathetic that Melanie was so delighted to see her only child go to university, with no apparent regret or sentimentalism- this just did not ring true!Nevertheless, it's not all bad. Astley's style remains engaging, and she has many positive points to make about women living alone- I just wish she had encapsulated tham in a more riveting and personable story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost Potential, 11 April 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Unchained Melanie (Paperback)
Judy Astley's books are typical of the type to be found on the beach, at the airport, etc. light, mostly enjoyable reading. With this one, though, I found the characters had only vague lives - it had the potential for an excellent storyline but much was left unfinished and I felt disappointed that her "excitement at being alone and able to do her own thing" was finally ground down as she succumbed in the end. I so wanted her to be the independent woman.
She never really was alone, anyway, her vastly annoying mother, her friends intent on matching her with anything in trousers (in particular an ex-teacher who was slime personified), her sad elderly neighbour, her limp ex-husband, all combined to fill almost every waking moment of her life. We never did find out who the culprits were of the burglary, were they caught? And what was the fate of Mrs Jenkins?
However, one of the few laugh out loud moments - the scorched skirt scene - brought tears to my eyes once I realised she hadn't been hurt. If only there could have been more of these "images in the mind" moments.

3.0 out of 5 stars NEW TO THIS AUTHOR BUT THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT BOOK, 14 Feb 2005
This review is from: Unchained Melanie (Paperback)
This was the first book by Judy Astley I have read and I was pleasantly suprised. However the ending seemed unfinished!
I wanted to read on and on which I suppose is the ploy!
I would recommend this book for a flight or a beach, or for single girls everywhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars average, 22 April 2003
Kirsty (South Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unchained Melanie (Paperback)
on hearing good reports about Judy Astley's novels i was glad to have come upon unchained melanie. however it didn't live up to the hype i found the main charcter melanie a little annoying with little personality. it was comical in places and with a great charcter of mel's next door neighbour. if you have ever had an annoying neighbour you will understand how mel feels about her! it wasn't exceptional but has a few laughs along the way

Unchained Melanie
Unchained Melanie by Judy Astley (Paperback - 4 Mar 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01