5.0 out of 5 stars And Addition to Those Tales from the City, 9 Feb. 2013
S Constantine (Stafford, Staffs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Significant Others: Tales of the City 5 (Paperback)
I was a great fan of Armistead Maupin's Tales from the City and its sequels, capturing as they did the 80s and beyond of the San Francisco alternative and gay scenes. Glad to be able to buy a new edition to revisit those times. These are soap operas in a way, but so entertaining and witty. I think reading Maupin, at his most light-hearted, is like reading a lovely gossipy letter from a friend. Easy reading, and that's no small recommendation. It takes talent to make prose so smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best book in the series!, 28 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Significant Others (Paperback)
I have read all of Maupin's books and I think that every single one of them is brilliant. However if I had to pick a favourite it would definitely be 'Significant Others'. It has to be one of the funniest books ever written and I found all the lesbian camp scenes contained some of Maupin's best and most highly strung plotlines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 11 May 2014
MR - See all my reviews
The TOTC just gets better with every volume. Like catching up with old friends time and again it makes you feel good

5.0 out of 5 stars Therapy in book form, a joy., 19 Nov. 2013
My bestest friend in the whole wide world kept this little secret hidden from me for over 13 years. I recently had to go into hospital for a major operation and she bought me the first three Tales of the City books to read whilst recuperating. Six weeks later I have now read 6 of the sequence, am in the middle of "Michael Tolliver Lives", have one more to go before having to wait in rabid anticipation for the final instalment, "The Days of Anna Madrigal" to be published in January 2014. I purchased "Significant Others" on Kindle because I'd just finished the "Babycakes" paperback and couldn't wait to go to the shop the next day. Albeit slightly the fault of my so called bestest friend in the whole wide world, but I can't believe it took me so long to find Mike, Anna, Brian, Mary Ann, DeDe et al, but my goodness, don't I feel blessed. If you are searching for a little solace and comfort, with friends who will love you no matter who you are and what you do, who will take the fear away and help you realise that everything is going to be OK, then pick up Tales of the City - start on page one and enjoy. It's a book romance you will never forget. Don't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maupin!, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Significant Others: Tales of the City 5 (Paperback)
Another slice of quiet wit and beautifully staged characters, don't miss out get into Maupin now you won't regret it

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent fifth installment to the Barbary Lane saga., 28 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Significant Others (Paperback)
The series goes on in leaps and bounds. The Tales of...series are one of the few sets of books to make me laugh and cry-usually within the same chapter. The usual characters that I have come to love are all there,finding new loves and facing the dark spector of AIDS. Classy writing. I'm looking forward to starting Sure Of You, just dreading finishing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouse rules!, 26 Feb. 2015
Aramchek (Utopia Caravan Park) - See all my reviews
My favourite Tales of the City book -

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Dec. 2014
Another great tale

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book in the series, 26 April 2010
Mrs. S. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Significant Others: Tales of the City 5 (Paperback)
This is the fifth chronicle in the Tales of the City and the characters are beginning to feel a bit like family. This continues to be one of the few sets of books to make me laugh and cry. All the old characters are all there, finding new loves and facing growing up among the awareness of AIDS. I am really looking forward to starting Sure Of You (the last book) but am dreading finishing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Oct. 2014
Great read

Significant Others: Tales of the City 5
Significant Others: Tales of the City 5 by Armistead Maupin (Paperback - 1989)