‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential if you've read Tales of the City., 8 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: More Tales Of The City (Paperback)
The second in the Tales series picks up where the first leaves off, and we welcome back all the residents of 28 Barbary Lane. Again, Maupin's style is the breezy, chatty short-chapter, presumably a result from the stories originally being featured in the SF Chronicle, and again he captures the flavour of 1970's San Francisco perfectly. If you liked the first book, you'll love this. If you didn't, steer clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every bit as good as the Tales of the City, 28 Jun 2007
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: More Tales Of The City (Paperback)
More Tales of the City maintains the standard set in the first book as the coincidences become more bizarre and the characters reveal more of their secrets. Of the latter Anna Madrigal has some real shockers; but there is a shock of a different kind in store for the adorable Michael Tolliver; and yet another for the insufferable Beauchamp. But before that Mary Anne and the Michael go on a cruise together and neither returns empty handed. We meet some new characters and some of the old ones play a bigger part.

Very funny and entertaining, with some amateur sleuthing which involves several of the residents of 28 Barbary Lane keeping us guessing to the end, this is a most enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but run out of steam, 8 Aug 2014
Entertaining as a slice of San F life in the seventies, though I suspect a very selective one! the books I've read so far are a kind of 'diary' narrative of a coterie of interlinked characters, based partly around a rather bohemian boarding house, giving it a rather soap opera feel. The characters are a bit self-consciously off-beat in a seventies vein and start To pall a bit for me by the third book. Maupin is very heavily reliant on small world coincidence in interlinking his various narratives and this does stretch credulity at times. Ok as sketches of human nature and interaction but limps a bit when he tries to inject a bit of mystery for me. As I say, fun to read but does run out of steam after a while. I'm now on book three and don't feel too inclined to take it any further. Believe later ones pick up his characters when some years have elapsed so that might be entertaining. Good style and convincing, witty dialogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm off to read the 3rd, 12 Feb 2010
Mrs. S. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More Tales Of The City (Paperback)
This is the 2nd book in the Tales series and picks up where the first one left off. You really have to have read the first in the series as we are acquainted with all the original characters and begin to learn more about their lives. There is a strange side story following Mary Anne's new boyfriend which involves some detective work but doesn't detract from the overall funniness of the book. If you loved the first book, you'll love this one too. I'm off to read the 3rd.

5.0 out of 5 stars She thinks they are great., 30 Jun 2014
Roger Pull - See all my reviews
This review is from: More Tales Of The City (Paperback)
Got this set of books for my wife. She thinks they are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 14 Jun 2014
As the series progresses the characters are well formed. Good illustrative prose and imagery about the locations and developing plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars another page turner, 18 May 2014
More adventures of mouse, Anna, Mary-Ann et al. Enthralled from start to finish. I love the Tales Of The City Series

4.0 out of 5 stars I love all of these., 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: More Tales Of The City (Paperback)
I watched the series on television many years ago and enjoyed it so have bought a few of the sequels. Very enjoyable. Not gripping but I still want to know what happens to the characters.

(You don't have to be gay to enjoy the stories)

5.0 out of 5 stars More tales of the city, 31 Oct 2013
Armistead Maupin is so funny, such a clever writer - I miss the characters when I have finished a book of his.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, 23 July 2013
Mr. D. P. Jay (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More Tales Of The City (Paperback)
Having read the first book, we thought we'd work through the series but, so far, have only got as far as this, the second book.

Some good bits:

Mouse: I don't waste time with well-adjusted people
Frannie: The Lord doesn't have to go go
Emma: even at 59 she was not an adult
A gay old folks' home -= I suspect there will be demand for such here in the UK soon if there isn't already.
Scratch and sniff Hustler magazine
A transubstantiation cult

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

More Tales Of The City
More Tales Of The City by Armistead Maupin (Paperback - 21 Sep 1984)