5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly funny heartfelt book
Published on 20 Mar 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but quite annoying
I thought this was going to be one of the funniest books I've ever read, judging from the other reviews that is!! However, although the mystery of Patrick looms in the air for half the book and Bella is extremely scatty throughout, it is also very frustrating. Bella is supposed to be 33 and Will 37, but they act more like teenagers. Their constant bickering and then...
Published on 11 Mar 2003 by N. Stubbs

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly funny heartfelt book, 20 Mar 2000
This review is from: Love Is A Four Letter Word (Paperback)
I don't know when I've last enjoyed a book as much as I enjoyed LOVE IS A FOUR LETTER WORD. I couldn't put it down from the moment I started it. It literally does make you laugh and cry at the same time. Bella, the heroine, is such a great character, impossible not to like. At first you think it's yet another 'Oooh, my relationship went wrong' novel, but it's SO MUCH MORE than that. I really urge you all, if youj're thinking about buying this book, stop thinking. Buy it! You won't regret it, and you'll read it again and again. More from Claire Calman please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, witty and unexpectedly poignant, 31 May 2000
This review is from: Love Is A Four Letter Word (Paperback)
Don't be put off if you think the cover looks like yet another girly beach read. This is in a class of its own. I read it only to get my friend who was going on and on about it to shut up. It is funny, but not in the punning, brittle way that you find in too much modern fiction now. You soon find yourself drawn into the heart of the book and caring deeply about the very real characters. I especially like the tense relationship between the heroine and her mother, which is subtly done. I can't believe the person on this reviews section who didn't finish it - how can you review something if you haven't even read it? Try it, even my boyfriend loved it, though he didn't want to be seen reading anything with 'Love' in the title in public!

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving and fun, 29 Jun 2000
This review is from: Love Is A Four Letter Word (Paperback)
As someone else has written in the reviews, do not judge this book on its cover. It is not your usual girlie comedy type book. Although it does have some elements (the friend, the adventures of colleagues etc..) it runs deeper than this,as it considers and explores the feeling of grief and the effect it can have on one's life. The relationship between the heroin and her mother is also very well portrayed and again I was impressed by its depth and veracity.
This book however still manages to be light and enjoyable, when you put it down, you feel both relaxed and moved by the plot and the characters. It may be hard to explain but basically it is a very good combination of real, thus not always pleasant emotions, and bits of comedy.
Read it, it is very impressive. Shame about the misleading cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute book, 23 April 2008
This review is from: Love Is A Four Letter Word (Paperback)
Quite a sweet book, romantic. But it did take a while to get going, I thought. The good thing is that with one central character, you could really get to know her, and what makes her who she is now. The flashbacks were an important part of the story I think, for character developing. Without these little insights, I doubt the book would have been so readable. Bella would have just been a 2 dimentional person, rather than a well rounded one.

I was suprised by what happened with Patrick, as you don't get to know the full story until about half way through the book. I like books that suprise me, so this was great. I didn't expect that at all.

And Will..... well I think I fell for him a bit myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the cover - Ignore the blurb ..., 29 Feb 2000
This review is from: Love Is A Four Letter Word (Paperback)
This is a beautiful book. It's more about grieving and guilt than sex and chocolate biscuits. Claire Calman is a very self-assured young writer (either that or she's got an amazing editor) and, unlike some of these other 'modern romance' writers her humour tickles you gently rather than punching you between the eyes with big ugly one-liners. A very gentle, warm, funny and well-written book, almost in the tradition of Barbara Pym. Well done Claire and don't let those magazines get you back!

5.0 out of 5 stars An utterly superb read, 12 Aug 2000
This review is from: Love Is A Four Letter Word (Paperback)
Well, my one-line summary says it all really. I got so engrossed in Bella's life that I just could not put the book down once I had started - no housework, no cooking, no nothing! My boyfriend whinged and whinged until I had finished that I was paying him no attention whatsoever, then I got him to read the book and he did exactly the same! No attention for me for 2 days!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 1st Novel, 15 Mar 2001
This review is from: Love Is A Four Letter Word (Paperback)
This is a look at a 30-something woman who doesn't just float through life drinking and sleeping around life so many others suggest. She has a past and have skeletons in the closet. There are very amusing parts that make you laugh out loud and just as touching emotional sections which make you realize real-life issues have to be dealt with no matter who you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars I adored this book!, 12 Mar 2000
Cyberlibrarian (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Is A Four Letter Word (Paperback)
Love is a Four-Letter Word made me do what I have only done a handful of times in my life (if that!). After I finished, I immediately flipped it over and started reading parts of it again.
Just when I thought I knew what was going on and what made Bella tick, Calman barges in and twists things around so you're still guessing. In some cases, it might have bothered me, but not here. Quite the opposite, in fact. It kept me hooked, wondering what would happen next.
In short, this book has it all. It made me laugh out loud, and it brought tears to my eyes. It's well worth reading, and is far more enjoyable than most of the books which people tell me are "must-reads."

5.0 out of 5 stars More substance than the usual light-hearted reads, 2 Mar 2000
This review is from: Love Is A Four Letter Word (Paperback)
Yes, it is another book that the publishers are promoting for single thirty-somethings with storylines involving sex and chocolate. BUT it's a better read than most. It has warmth, depth, humour and likeable characters. The search for a man in this book is more realistic because the heroine is dealing with baggage from past relationships. The cover is a bit off-putting (unless you're a big fan of Jammie Dodgers!), but it's a more accomplished read than, for example, the juvenile 'Amanda's Wedding'. Buy this one, not the ones in the "Customers who bought this book also bought..." box!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, yet raises some important issues, 30 Mar 2000
This review is from: Love Is A Four Letter Word (Paperback)
This book is wonderful and I highly reccomend this book to anyone who loves romantic comdies. At the same time, the book raises issues such as death and letting go. Even though this book is a far cry from a masterpiece in Westen literature, it was one of the most enjoyable books I have read in a long time. I am looking forward to reading more from Calman, such as a sequel to this book. I already have the perfect tittle - Marriage is an Eight Letter Word!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Love Is A Four Letter Word
Love Is A Four Letter Word by Claire Calman (Paperback - 1 Jan 2000)