5.0 out of 5 stars Total Relationships Disaster
Another man, another haircut. It's funny how we always do the same things, every single time, when we break up with people. I'm not stupid, I know there's a pattern. I only have to look at my photo albums..'
Published on 21 Dec 2002 by michelle1977

1.0 out of 5 stars The most meandering, off on a tangent drivle I have read
I took this as one of my books on holidays - mainly because I liked the catchy title and the vain hope that I would understand the 30 something female. Unlike the back which mentions the beloved Ally MacBeal, this is not what I hoped it would be.
Published on 21 Sep 1999 by poc_2@hotmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Relationships Disaster, 21 Dec 2002
This review is from: Single White E-mail (Paperback)
This is a fabulous book about the common story of a girl who becomes single again. Jessica Adams has put a clever touch to the story which leaves you comforted by the idea that you're not the only one and there's someone who seems to be handling it much worse.
Thirtyish Victoria 'Total Relationships Disaster' Shepworth has been dumped by Dan and tries to cope with singlehood. She gets a computer from her father and with a little (read: a lot of) help from her upstairs neighbour manages to log on to the Internet, where a whole new world unfolds itself. She meets Pierre in a chatroom and discovers a new meaning to flirting. Meanwhile her two lesbian friends try to let her give up men and join their Woman Circle. Will Victoria be tempted and lose the fantasy of a dream wedding? Pick up this book and find out!
Jessica Adams was an astrologist before she took up writing fiction, but I think she couldn't have made a better choice. Her other novels 'Tom Dick and Debbie Harry' and the recently published 'I'm a Believer' are also really worth reading!

1.0 out of 5 stars The most meandering, off on a tangent drivle I have read, 21 Sep 1999
This review is from: Single White E-mail (Paperback)
The writing is not too bad and the little twist is quite smart but how I laboured through it I don't know. I needed a second opinion so after finishing it, gave it to a friend (also male late twenties) only to find that he was speed reading it due to the ridiculously long rants this girl goes on. And this girl does go on and on and on ...
Currently, it's in the possession of a female friend of mine (early thirties) as I need a female opinion. I await with breath held.
MEN KEEP CLEAR - IT WILL SCARE YOU. If this is the insight into the women of my age - I need to keep with the younger ones....

4.0 out of 5 stars Stayed up all night to read the book, 4 Nov 2003
This review is from: Single White E-mail (Paperback)
For any girl who's ever been single, this book offers empathy, humour, sarcasm, anger, insecurity, uncertainty and friendship. What the author manages in this book, isnt amazing writing skills, but quite simply you're made to feel like Victoria is a close friend. I was so engaged in the book and it's characters I started the book mid afternoon and stayed up all night until it was finished. Now when I lend it out to friends, I warn them to get a good night's sleep before they read it! An excellent read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheesh! how did she get into my head to write this book?, 23 May 1999
This review is from: Single White E-mail (Paperback)
Jessica Adams has captured what it's like to be thirtysomething and single in the 90s. Her easy to read style takes her readers inside the head of Victoria Shepworth, an advertising copywriter who is all-too-aware of her biological clock and desperately seeking Mr Right.
She finally turns to online chatrooms for dating inspiration with the help of Bill the Boffin, her internet-savvy neighbour.
Victoria discovers Pierre Dubois from Paris, in an online chatroom and slowly falls in love with this mysterious man of her dreams. But is Pierre all he is made-out to be?
Jessica's writing style is informal, but very readable. This book had me laughing out loud on public transport - a measure of a great book!
Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, funny, couldn't put it down!, 13 Nov 2001
This review is from: Single White E-mail (Paperback)
If you are single and had 'total b****y relationships disasters' then this is the book for you. Hilarious recognition of the typical relationships women seem to fall into...and out of! (Are men really the same across the globe?)
The end seems to have been left open...I will be very disappointed if there isn't a sequel.

3.0 out of 5 stars O.K. - Funny in the beginning but doesn't end well, 17 Oct 1999
Kelly L. Moran (Gaithersburg, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Single White E-mail (Paperback)
I had high hopes for this book and was disappointed. She writes ALL the ramblings & thoughts of a negative, depressed woman. Sometimes I'd just hope for her to get to the bloody point! I hope men don't think ALL WOMEN are this messed up.
The book starts out funny. It has a nice twist, but Jessica Adams seems to have trouble knowing when to end the boo ...
Not bad for a first book - I'm sure Jessica will only improve with practice.

2.0 out of 5 stars But the net is speedier than this!!, 23 Mar 2001
This review is from: Single White E-mail (Paperback)
It started well. Then I got to the middle and started to wonder why our heroine didn't just top herself as she was sooooo depressed and considered herself sooooooo useless! Like others, I was led to believe that Victoria would be an IT Bridget Jones but was sorely disappointed. The best bits were the 'chats' between Victoria and Pierre... and her metaphor for what love really is.

4.0 out of 5 stars What we all feel at times of 'singleness', 6 Aug 1999
This review is from: Single White E-mail (Paperback)
Very Very good book, don't usually have the time to read, but this was a great one to take on holiday with me, a good beach book. Every time I put it down I just wanted to see what happened with Dan or Liam. Very Very Catchy book. I was hoping for a sequal to see what happened with BIll the Boffin, but it does look to promising. Well Done Jessica, carry on the good work.!

4.0 out of 5 stars a bit slow but well worh it!, 15 May 2000
This review is from: Single White E-mail (Paperback)
After reading Bridget Jones Diary, I was ready for the "British Invasion". Although it does take a bit to get into the novel its worth it. The ending is terrific! I would definitly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very slow and disappointing, 1 May 2000
This review is from: Single White E-mail (Paperback)
I was led to believe that this book would be in the same class as Helen Fielding and of Nick Hornby, but I found myself disappointed. It never really warmed up and was totally unrealistic. It took me ages to read it as I kept putting it down...not a good recommendation for a book. It was funny in parts, and did show some good potential in areas...but all in all, this book had a OK beginning, a very long middle, but no real end.

Single White E-mail
Single White E-mail by Jessica Adams (Paperback - 1 May 1999)
6.82