5.0 out of 5 stars More nuggets than a gold rush
Published on 14 Jan 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going - a little like a History...
Heavy going - a little like a History... one of those books you pick up and put down around other books
Published 18 months ago by Andy

5.0 out of 5 stars More nuggets than a gold rush, 14 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Made in America (Audio Cassette)
A very impressively researched and entertaining book. It sets out as an exploration of what happened to the English language when it got to North America, and achieves this goal admirably. However, it also provides a wealth of insights into the growth phases and catalysts which caused the US economy to grow to the super power it is today. This aspect of the book provides (perhaps unwittingly) many valuable historical perspectives on recent internet- driven developments - and how they may pan out. I read 'Mother Tongue' first. 'Made in America' is a perfect follow up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Offers a lot in a single book, 28 Jan 2004
This review is from: Made In America (Paperback)
To be honest, I always associated Bill Bryson with light travel books, so I was pleasantly suprised to find his refreshing writing style applied to etymology; not always the easiest topic to entertain with!
Having said that, there is so much more than etymology. The anecdotes are amusing, and you will find yourself repeating them to everyone you know. The work that debunks urban myths is fascinating and, as is often the case, fact is stranger than fiction; some of the truths behind words and phrases are truly special.
The lists of when words were first used did not appeal to me personally, although I am perfectly willing to believe that there are people out there who would be interested, but they are fairly easy to skip.
The one thing I take away from this book more than anything else is respect for American English. As a young Englishman, I have been pre-conditioned into a certain disregard for 'Americanisms'. Yet after reading this book, you will see how useful many of these words are, and the ones we choose to attack are very limited. I think the book is worth reading for this information alone.
In conclusion, a good read that you can take your time over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect mixture of words and wisdom!, 26 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Made in America (Paperback)
As an American having spent years in both England and Ireland, I thoroughly enjoyed this book exploring the American usage of the English language. Bryson, as only he can, relates many of the untold stories of the founding of the United States and how as a society we morphed the language to fit our ever-changing needs. He takes us on a journey through the events that enlivened and matured our language into what it is today.
Interesting, light-hearted yet immensely learned- it is the type of book you'll be referencing and discussing at dinner parties for years to come. Brilliantly written to appeal to readers on both sides of the pond.
While different from the travel books that Bryson is so famous for, this new genre of writing is no less wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most read book on my bookshelf, 2 Aug 2002
This review is from: Made In America (Paperback)
I read first read this book a few years ago but still find myself going back to it time and again. My copy is so well thumbed it is falling apart. Billed as a history of American English, this book is much more than that. It is one of those books which entertains and informs. I learned more about American history from this book than I did from a whole set of textbooks on the topic. I would recommend this book wholeheartedly to anyone. It is his best book by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chivers Audiobook Complete & Unabridged, 26 Aug 2006
M. P. Stone "Bodeka" (Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For a description of the book itself see the paperback version. Suffice to say if you are reading this entry then you probally want the audiobook specifically. This really is complete and unabridged and comes as one of those chivers audio packs you sometimes get in libraries aimed I think at the hard of sight. It is not in a standard CD case like regular audiobooks. This is read as are 'The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America' & 'Notes From a Big Country' by William Roberts. Comes on 14Cd's divided into approximately 5 minute chapters on each for ease of finding your 'bookmark'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 23 Sep 2004
Mr. Daniel Miller "Mr DM" (somewhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made In America (Paperback)
This is quite an engaging read. Approaching primarily it because of my interest in language and also in American culture, I was not disappointed by this work which offers the reader information on such diverse topics as travel, immigration and American food. Principally of a linguistic focus, it traces some of the etymological history of some of the more common (and uncommon) terms in the American and English languages. A worthwile read, and enjoyable too.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 6 Jan 2003
This review is from: Made In America (Paperback)
I think I read too many English boarding-school books when I was a kid. At least I got a snobbish attitude about the superiority of British English over American English from somewhere.
This book was a revalation, it showed me that my snobbishness was just that, and without foundation. Things that I had firmly believed, like that 'trash' was an Americanism, were swept away (and now I think, what would it matter if it were?).
Made In America is full of fascinating detail. I couldn't stop myself from reading passage after passage out loud, and I've bought copies for gifts. Anyone with an interest in language, history, or culture would get a kick out of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Bryson, 14 Aug 2010
This review is from: Made In America (Paperback)
Let me start by saying: I'm a huge Bryson fan. I've read most of his books and each has taught me something and made me laugh out loud: any book that can do that has to be worth a read.

This book is ostensibly about Americanisms but actually delves into about American history, culture and society to give the background of words that the U.S. has brought to the English language. There is tons of trivia and many amusing anecdotes and the book had me hooked from start to finish.

Buy this!

4.0 out of 5 stars History of American language, 20 Jun 2003
This review is from: Made In America (Paperback)
Made in America was the first of Bills non-travel books that I read. In this book Bryson traces the history of the American language and how modern U.S English has evolved from the British English that the original settlers and immigrants would have spoken. Bill deals with many linguistic theories and looks at many words that come from other languages and are now part of modern U.S English. Bill also looks at other things like why there are so few ascents in America and yet every region in Britain and in fact in most parts of Europe has a distinct ascent.
Along the way Bill also looks at a lot of American history in his usual funny and informative style. Looking at American cinema the history of roads and even the story of Dr Kellogg the inventor of Corn Flakes and it turns out Dr Kellogg was the only crunchy nut. These historic parts of Made in America as well as being very good to read are also essential to the purpose of the book looking how Americans had to come up with new words for there new inventions and contraptions.
All in all a good read historic, funny and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Educational And (At The Same Time) Hilarious, 11 Jun 2013
Keith M - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Made In America (Paperback)
This 1994 work by Bill Bryson is probably the most impressive (funny and educational) non-travel book I have read by this most infectious of authors. It is also contains the most evidence of detailed research, and therefore simply more facts (at least I assume them to be facts) than any other of his books. On the slight down-side, what this means (of course) is that, although Bryson's trawl through the history of the English language (as adopted and adapted by the US), as it applies to areas such as travel, national identity, politics, eating, sport, advertising, inventions, immigration, shopping, etc, is highly entertaining and informative, there are simply so many facts here that it is difficult to commit even a small proportion to memory (although the book can obviously be used as a reference, if necessary).

Nevertheless, Made In America is still a totally compelling read and is actually highly educational if, like me, you are less likely to trawl through a more academic history book than to be drawn in by Bryson's highly readable (and frequently wryly humorous) style. Here, for example, he provides a relatively succinct (around 100 pages) set of introductory chapters charting the formation of the US, the drafting of its constitution and formation of its political system. He also concludes the book with a particularly interesting (list of facts-light) chapter on current (i.e. early 1990s) educational standards in the US, and whilst painting a rather negative (though ambiguous) picture, concludes (rightly I feel) that the US' highly diverse racial and cultural mix is likely to stand it in continued good stead in terms of its future prosperity.

Made In America
Made In America by Bill Bryson (Paperback - 2 April 1998)
6.29