5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read
This was the first book by Madeleine Whickham that I had read, having enjoyed all of her books under her pen-name of Sophie Kinsella. I wasn't disappointed and found it absorbing and the characters believable. I'm definitely going to read more of her books.
Published on 24 Sept. 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated and dull
Published on 10 Nov. 2010 by _*

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, 24 Sept. 2005
By A Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated and dull, 10 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Swimming Pool Sunday (Paperback)
I borrowed this from my sister, I am glad I didn't pay for it. I've read most of the books she has written as Sophie Kinsella, so I was expecting something a little bit more like that. However, I found this book very boring. The characters were 2-dimensional and mostly unpleasant, even when you were supposed to empathise with them. The spineless parents were easily led by a manipulative lawyer to sue their friends, and their intermittent bursts of rationality were easily headed off by the most obvious ploys. The content and style struck me as old-fashioned, reminding me of a poor attempt at Mary Wesley. The subject was miserable, the people in the book were miserable, and I was miserable by the time I'd finished it. Had it not been borrowed, I would have immediately given it to charity. As it is, I don't recommend it at all, especially if you've enjoyed the Shopaholic books or her other novels.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a pool I will remember!, 6 Feb. 2011
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Swimming Pool Sunday (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of all books by Sophie Kinsella. I have read every one of her books on more than one occasion. I was getting a little tired and impatient of waiting for her to release another book so I decided to visit her website to see if there was any information as to when she is due to release another book and what I found out to my surprise is that she writes under two names Sophie Kinsella and her real name Madeleine Wickham. I have now slowly started making my way through the books by Madeleine Wickham and I loved Sleeping Arrangements and Wedding Girl and have now picked up Swimming Pool Sunday to read.

The books written under Madeleine Wickham are a completely different style of book compared to Sophie Kinsella books. I think they feel more mature and more of a believable storyline but they do not hold the humour factor which the books by Sophie Kinsella have. Having said this I still have enjoyed both styles of books.

***PLOT***

Louise and Barnaby Kenmber have recently split up. Their two children Katie and Amelia still live at home with mummy Louise and Barnaby comes to see the girls once a week. When he arrives to take the girls fishing the girls do not want to go as it is the same day that Ursula and Hugh Delaney open up their swimming pool for all of the village to come for the day to raise money for charity. Although Barnaby is not happy about this it is what the girls want to do so they all head off to the Delaney's.

As the day begins to draw to an end Barnaby expresses his anger to Louise about not being able to spend enough time with the girls and it is whilst this happens that Katie has an accident and is rushed to hospital in a coma fighting for her life.

The new love of Louise's life is Cassian who works as a lawyer and he insists straight away the best thing to do for Katie's sake is to sue the Delaney's for the accident. Trouble is the Delaney's and the Kenmber's are friends and have had enough tragedy in their lives. Will Katie be ok and will the Kenmber's decide to take their friends to court?

** My Opinion**

As i mentioned this is a different style of writing compared to Sophie Kinsella books. There is no humour in this book at all. Aside from the plot I mentioned above there was also a side storyline about an older man Alexis who is friends with the Delaneys, who begins to have a relationship with 18 year old Daisy who has just moved to the village. I didn't really feel this fit into the book. I would have much preferred if they took the side storyline back into the relationship with Louise and Barnaby before they split so we could get to know their characters a little more.

I don't feel as though we was given enough connection with Louise she came across as quite a cold character so I didn't connect to her and feel the emotion we should feel for this lady who could be losing her daughter.
Before the accident the two sisters Katie and Amelia had such a close bond so Katie's accident must have affected Amelia in a big way this was slightly touched upon and I enjoyed this part of the book but I do think this could have been used a little more.

This book in my opinion is not a challenging read and the storyline slowly paces along. I do feel that this is a book which will be forgotten about in a few weeks as there was nothing shining about this book. Unfortunately this book is not in the same league as the previous Madeleine Wickham books or Sophie Kinsella books. It will not be a book which I shall read again and also not one which I would recommend in a hurry.

4.0 out of 5 stars A relaxing easy read, 19 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Swimming Pool Sunday (Paperback)
This is the first of Madeleine's books I have read, although I have read her other books under the writer of Sophie Kinsella.
Did not really know what to expect, but quickly became engrossed in Swimming Pool Sunday, which is set in an country village. Reminded me a bit of Midsomer Murders but without the murder, kept me turning the page and wanting to find out what happens in the end. Really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading many more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too drawn out and too predictable., 5 Aug. 2013
The start of the story is promising but the story just draws out and out and it is all very predictable - too predictable.

3.0 out of 5 stars nothing special, 14 Jan. 2013
I love Sophie Kinsella, but as Madeleine Wickman she can be a bit boring. the book seems to be littered with mistakes. I have read half of it and gone onto something else! when reading a Sophie Kinsella book I can't put it down. not worth paying for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes a long time to get into the story ..., 14 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Swimming Pool Sunday (Paperback)
Practically nothing happens during the first seventy pages ... I nearly gave up! Fortunately something happens to add interest (I won't tell you what!) and the book gets going ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Swimming Pool Sunday (Paperback)
This is the first Sophie Kinsella book I have read and it defiantly wont be my last I have now bought all the Madeline Wickham and shopaholic books. Swimming Pool Sunday was a very interesting read although a little slow to start and i felt it quiet rushed towards the end. It was beautifully written with great love for all the characters. The book is quite serious at times and heartbreaking also. its a great easy read took me 4 days to finish as I spent evening after evening unable to put down. fantastic read would have been 5 star rating if I hadnt felt the story rushed at the end!

2.0 out of 5 stars So not Sophie Kinsella, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Swimming Pool Sunday (Paperback)
Mmm, this is a very different writing style to 'Sophie Kinsella' books. It was very dark, rather depressing... for someone wanting a bit of escapism, a story which centres on your worst nightmare as a parent made for deeply uneasy reading. If it was a 'serious' read, sure, but it's branded as light-hearted read. I felt tense throughout, skipped swathes of it - really didn't enjoy this. Was deeply grateful for the antidote on my bookshelf: Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 30 Aug. 2003
Ms. J. S. Spencer (Berkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swimming Pool Sunday (Paperback)
This is the first of Madeleine Wickham's books that I read, about 6 years ago now...and i've been hooked ever since! Every single one of her books are brilliant, her writing style makes it impossible to put a book down...leaving you on the edge of your seat at the end of every chapter! I would recommend each and every book she had written...a perfect writer.

Swimming Pool Sunday
Swimming Pool Sunday by Madeleine Wickham (Paperback - 1 May 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01