5.0 out of 5 stars Her Best Book
Published on 27 Jan 2012 by Kate Hopkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated
I agree completely that 'the Choir' is considerably less catchy than Joanna Trollope's other books, which I have really enjoyed. I have now attempted to get into 'The Choir' 3 times, but keep getting lost, wondering who's who as new characters continue to be introduced. Whereas most of Joanna Trollope's books are easy reads, this one seems to require a lot of energy...
Published on 9 Dec 2010 by Henriette H

5.0 out of 5 stars Her Best Book, 27 Jan 2012
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Choir (Paperback)
I usually have mixed feelings about Joanna Trollope novels, but this book certainly deserves high praise for its well constructed and gripping plot - the central theme being the need to save a cathedral choir after the Dean has announced that the Cathedral finances can no longer support it - its cast of well-depicted and very interesting characters, and its clever portrayal of cathedral life. As regards the last point, I've had quite a lot of experience of cathedral music, having been at Bristol Cathedral School and sung in the girls choir there in the 1990s, and with my father having been a lay clerk at Salisbury many years ago, and I have to say Trollope gets the tone just right. Despite the odd clanger ('Have you ever had an affair', said Leo. 'Well, you're about to have one now') the central romantic interest, between Leo the cathedral organist and Sally the mother of the star young chorister, is movingly described. Trollope manages to make us sympathize with the bullying Dean, Hugh Cavendish, while making it clear his behaviour is pretty appalling, and even to feel sorry for his bossy wife (a real Mrs Proudie type) in the end. The Headmaster, the Dean's chief opponent, is a wonderfully sympathetic figure, and his relationship with his poet wife (even if she's a little idealized in certain respects; all gauzy skirts and poetic musings) very interesting to read about. Henry, the main child character is much more fully-rounded and believable than most of Trollope's children (who tend to be highly objectionable - I really liked Henry though) and his relationship with his old-style Socialist grandfather Frank was a lovely element of the book. And Trollope clearly had a lot of fun with the Dean's dreadful children - so much so that I wish we'd met the two older ones as well!

The novel was well paced, with just enough hints of mystery in the plot to keep you guessing to the end exactly what was going to happen. And though I felt there were still a few loose ends (particularly in the story of Henry and his mother) that could have been slightly better tied up, I think Trollope brought everything to a fairly realistic and rather stylish ending.

Lots to enjoy here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joanna Trollope is a First Rate Storyteller, 16 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Choir (Paperback)
Being both a church musician and a certified "anglophile", I found The Choir to be a wonderful book. Joanna Trollope gives in-depth character development and a very true-to-life slice of life in a Cathedral Close. This was my first read of her work and have since read 5 more of her books. Give yourself a treat and start your weekend with "The Choir" !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Choir (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this. I remember seeing the TV adaptation and it was good to catch up on the story, as well as an insight into the workings of the CofE hierarchy.

5.0 out of 5 stars She is my favourite author and this was her first book, 12 July 2014
This review is from: The Choir (Paperback)
She is my favourite author and this was her first book. She paints the most wonderful characters and writes stories about domestic matters.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Choir, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Choir (Kindle Edition)
Joanna Trollope is another of my favourite easy reading authors. I read the book very quickly and thoroughly enjoyed reading it

5.0 out of 5 stars music and Deans, 27 July 2014
This review is from: The Choir (Kindle Edition)
This book is well--researched - and a difficult area to write about if not researched! Cathedral life in the Close and Choir are here written with knowldge, love and humour. I have re-read this book a number of times and am certain to read it again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Choir (Paperback)
I would recommend books such as Next of Kin, The Rector's Wife and Other People's Children above this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it - will read more Joanna, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Choir (Kindle Edition)
A lovely gentle read, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it - will read more Joanna Trollope

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Choir (Kindle Edition)
This was a really good read & couldn't put this book down

5.0 out of 5 stars one of her top two, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Choir (Kindle Edition)
Its a comfort to have this on my kindle as one of my little stash of reliable reads. Om tne 3rd ot 4th time of reading I get more from it every time.

The Choir
The Choir by Joanna Trollope (Paperback - 1 Nov 1992)