5.0 out of 5 stars More Norse legends for our time
Fans of Joanne Harris's epic "Runemarks" have had a long three-year wait for this sequel, "Runelight". Fortunately, the wait has not been in vain; the sequel is a stupendous follow-on from the earlier book, easily exceling its predecessor in every possible way. Indeed, the book is a veritable tour-de-force, quite as action-packed as the earlier volume but now with a much...
Published on 17 Feb 2012 by Steve Benner

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but...
This is the sequel to Runemark and I strongly recommend that you read Runemark first. The story continues (a few years later) the fantasy based around Norse gods and their associated worlds and myths. It is the sort of thing I would expect to like and there were plenty of good things about it but somehow it just didn't quite draw me into its world or grip me with its...
Published on 14 Mar 2012 by Sid Nuncius

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruenlight, 6 Jun 2012
L. Arnold "linda" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Runelight (Kindle Edition)
A good read and keeps you going. Though does go flat in some places but another fasinating read by Joanne Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars don't start with this one!, 9 July 2012
Thinker (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As stated in the title, my advice is not to start with this book if you have not read the previous book in the series. Sent to me for review.

Joanne Harris, very popular writer, author of 'chocolat' for example, wrote this I think for the YA market, it is a paranormal type book, and about the world ending etc.
Heavy book in topic and large in size.

At the beginning a summary is given for those that have not read the previous book, (or have forgotten) and a guide to the different characters, loads of characters it is very confusing. The guide was helpful but helpful enough for me to get into the story. Nightmare to try and get into.

I found it well written but too confusing, I just couldn't get into the story - just no good to start on the second. I would only recommend to someone who has read and enjoyed the first.

3.0 out of 5 stars Norse Gods and conflict in a fantasy world., 30 Nov 2011
P. A. Pendrey - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The story follows the lives and adventures of twin sisters, Maddy and Maggie, both have no knowledge of each other and believe themselves alone in the world. Maggie wanders in the catacombs of Universal City and works in a dingy inn. Maddy lives in the peaceful village of Malbry. They meet briefly on Red Horse Hill as something begins to emerge from the hillside, but both girls believe they are enemies.

We meet Loki who is loyal to no-one and has the knack of escaping from difficult situations by trickery. Maddy is helped by Loki and also by One-Eye of the Wilderlands as she goes on a quest to find her sister. Maggie is befriended by a handsome young man Adam, who is controlled by a vengeful entity, the Whisperer. The weakened Gods, Odin, Thor and a group of shape changing characters are drawn together for a final battle against the shadowcloud in order to rebuild the city of Asgard. This is sweeping story with some chapters devoted entirely to events surrounding the main characters.

This volume is classed as a childen's book yet it is doubtful if a young person under 12 would read it. It contains a sprinkling of swear words and some very modern, shall we say, impolite phrases. We also have a shape changing raven, Hughie, who speaks in a seemingly Scottish language. These do not sit comfortably in a story of Gods, mythical creatures and dream worlds. The reviewer found it irritating to have characters known by two names and that the author has found it necessary to list the characters and explain who and what they are. Some phrases in the text are enclosed in brackets and this only serves to interrupt the flow of a sentence.

On the good side there were some excellent descriptive sections. The action sequences were well portrayed.

Unfortunately the reviewer did not find this story a satisfactory reading experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Read., 3 May 2013
Hamstead (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found myself stalling about half way through Runelight. On the positive side, it was often entertaining and enjoyable. There were some terrific moments of imagination swirling through it. I loved the dream sequence with the old lady in the laundry basket! The author also knows her stuff re Norse mythology and I enjoyed watching what happened with the gods and their personas. I didn't have any problems with it being the second in a series. It works as a standalone.
However, a couple of months earlier I had read Neil Gaiman's American Gods which has a similar feel and which I personally preferred. It was like reading faded echoes of the same again, and therefore dissatisfying. With Gaiman I was inside the characters; in Runelight I was a step removed and just watching as a spectator on the sidelines rather than being in the thick of it. It's an enjoyable read overall but not top of the tree.

3.0 out of 5 stars A weak sequel, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Runelight (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the first book but found Runelight difficult to get into, at times I found it complex and difficult to follow and became bored reading the book towards the end. The ending brought the book to a satisfying conclusion with the option of further books, however, I doubt I will read them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Runelight (Paperback)
I read the prequel to this book "Runemarks" and enjoyed it. I haven't started this one yet so cannot comment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 21 Jun 2012
S. Duncan "SED" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know the general feeling for this book is on the high, but I just couldn't get into it. I found the sheer number of characters to grasp more than I wanted and I struggled to make my way. I am sure it is a very worthy work, but that in itself does little to inspire me. Sorry, just not the book for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars so so, 18 May 2012
Ms. B. E. Harris "36195barb" (lincoln uk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
i could not get in to this book not because the writting was bad or anything its just a little weied for me maybe because i have not read the first book in the series so i will put this one down for now and maybe try the first one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but lacking in places, 7 Feb 2012
Ren (Newcastle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Runelight is the second book in a series which weaves an intricate tale of Norse Gods, adventure and treachery. The writing style was good, with quite a bit of humour which worked really well. The author also had a handy list of both the Runes used throughout the book and a list of characters explaining who's who and how they're connected. The character list in particular was handy to have as it could be a little confusing at times remembering how each character was connected to the others. Some of the characters were referred to by different names, but I have to say I didn't have any problem keeping track of who was being referred to.

I should point out, that I haven't read Runemarks, the first book in the series. However Runemarks is set three years after the first novel and is a story of itself (as opposed to a continuation such as the Lord of the Rings books).

This is where I had a problem with the book. To me, a good sequel should be able to stand on it's own. Any details the reader NEEDS to know from the first book should be reiterated at some point so everyone is up to date. However Runemarks didn't do this, the reader is left to read between the lines and guess at a lot of details which did spoil both the flow and the enjoyment of the story. I like a book that I've enjoyed so much it makes me want to read all the ones I've missed, not one that makes me feel I have to read the earlier books just so it all makes sense.

An example of this is the Aspects. Throughout the book the characters change form (turning from a person into a bird for example) and these are referred to as their different Aspects. The narrative suggests that this is explained in the first book of the series, but at no point in Runelight are Aspects explained, leaving the reader to guess what it all means.

To sum up, a good story, slightly spoilt be a lack of detail and information and not a book to be read without reading Runemarks first.

2.0 out of 5 stars Runelight, 19 Feb 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Perhaps with not reading the prequel, Runemarks, first the book seemed quite difficult to get into and there seemed to be far too many main characters; but then, after a 150 pages or so, I could start to appreciate the story and it did get vaguely interesting willing the reader to read on to the last 100 pages and the final battle. The battle read like a complete mess with far too many characters being mentioned so the whole thing didn't really mean very much. This book might be OK to read aloud to a small child but the reader would have to explain quite a lot as they went along as it is not written clearly and the characters seem to contradict themselves.
All in all it was written in quite a sloppy way, does Joanne Harris think for a child's book you don't really have to try?

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Runelight
Runelight by Joanne Harris (Paperback - 8 Nov 2012)
5.59