5.0 out of 5 stars A Wedding Night you'll never forget!
Published 15 months ago by Leah Graham

2.0 out of 5 stars Sub par generic writing
Published 4 months ago by A. Linton

2.0 out of 5 stars Sub par generic writing, 27 Mar 2014
A. Linton (Manchester, Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wedding Night (Kindle Edition)
I don't know what's happened to Sophie Kinsella, aka Madeleine Wickham. Her books seem to have dumbed down to a level where I had to send this one back and I doubt I will purchase any more for the foreseeable future. It feels like she is aiming for a madcap comedy and the plot - impulsive couple get married and rush off on honeymoon while other characters rush after them to stop them consumating their relationship - lends itself to a great deal of slapstick, misunderstandings, embarrassing situations - none of which I actually found that funny. Maybe because we aren't living in a carefree madcap comedy era ...

Or maybe it was because the novel utterly lacks an emotional centre, someone for me to root for. Lottie irritated me from the start - Fliss started to seriously irritate me as the novel progressed, and I asked myself why on earth a high powered career woman would go to such ludicrous lengths to stop her adult sister from having sex on her wedding night? Lorcan is just a modern version of Mr Darcy and I had no doubt whatsoever how his and Fliss's story would end up. Though I sympathised with Ben and Lottie's frustration, it's clear they hardly know each other well enough to get married - however I certainly didn't root for her to get back with stuffed shirt Richard either. Was SK expecting the reader to root for romantic idiot Lottie to get back with a man who lived with her for three years and was still dithering about whether he wanted to marry her or not?

The novel tries far too hard to be funny and in the end I found it too irritating to read any further. The best bits by far are the descriptions of the romantic hotel resort and I found myself thinking I'd actually rather read about a normal couple having an uneventful honeymoon there!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wedding Night you'll never forget!, 23 April 2013
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wedding Night (Hardcover)
Wedding Night is the first Kinsella novel to split the narration. Instead of just being from the point of view of one character as with the rest of her novels, Wedding Night is told from the viewpoint of two sisters, Fliss and Lottie. Lottie thought she had found the man of her dreams and is convinced he's about to propose, and when he doesn't, she realises he doesn't want what she wants and they break up. When old flame Ben comes back into Lottie's life and reminds them of their pact to get married if they were both still un-wed at 30 (or 33!), Lottie jumps at the chance. Her sister, Fliss, however, couldn't think of anything more horrific. Marrying someone you haven't seen for 15 years? She knows what Lottie is like after a break-up and suspects this is Lottie's mad-cap reaction to the break-up and will stop at nothing to stop this wedding going ahead, knowing first hand what divorce is like and how awful it can be. When Lottie and Ben head off on honeymoon, Fliss isn't far behind, but can she stop Lottie and Ben before they make the biggest mistake of their life or is Fliss about to make the biggest mistake of her life in chasing them down?

I absolutely loved Wedding Night! The dual narration was awesome at letting us follow each sister, as Lottie and Ben try to consummate their marriage and as Fliss does everything in her power to stop that happening, whilst chasing them down to their Greek honeymoon in Ikonos. I found myself alternatively rooting for Lottie and rooting for Fliss, but mostly, I was rooting for Fliss if only because her ways of stopping Lottie were inventive, and that's being mild! What Lottie and Ben go through in Ikonos seems as if it's come straight out of a Carry On film and it was brilliant. Utterly brilliant. I was totally ensconced in the book and I didn't want it to ever end. Kinsella's plots are always so much more than most Chick Lit novels and this is one of her most inventive yet. She must have had such fun plotting what Fliss would do to stop Lottie and Ben, she must have had a cat on her lap as she did it and kept laughing evilly! Honestly, it was mad-cap but it was so, so good.

The characters were ace. I was never truly convinced about Ben, he seemed to have some hidden, sneaky depths and I never felt we got to see the true Ben. Lottie and Fliss were fabulous, I loved Fliss, even if her methods were unorthodox. One character I did absolutely adore was Lorcan! Lorcan was ace. I adored him. Wedding Night is just totally Kinsella. I just adored it. It had me chuckling on numerous occasions, as only Kinsella is capable of doing. This book will be a hit and rightly so. I absolutely loved it and I'm looking forward to the time when I'll read it again. I'm so sad it's over, so sad I'll probably have to wait another year for a new Kinsella, that's the thing, I always want to savour Kinsella books because once you've read it, that's it! You can't read it again for the first time, sadly. I loved Wedding Night and you will, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Wedding Night (Kindle Edition)
As ever absolutely loved this book, Sophie Kinsella is a brilliant author, made me laugh and almost cry. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wedding night, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Wedding Night (Kindle Edition)
Great, laugh out loud read, loved every page, Sophie at her best! Definitely one to recommend for a summer read x

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Wedding Night (Hardcover)
This is the first review I have ever left and therefore a mark of my extreme disappointment as a hard core Sophie Kinsella fan. A boring, predictable story which is trying to be something it is not (err.....the Shopaholic books). Sophie has truly lost her form and this is far from the standard of Twenties Girl. Even my mum gave up after two chapters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Great read

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
love love loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Wedding Night (Kindle Edition)
So funny laughed out loud many times

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Wedding Night (Paperback)
Great read, good for a holiday, easy to read, and a good ending, well done sophie on another smashing read

3.0 out of 5 stars What a farce !, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Wedding Night (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed the book,strong characters storyline. Some of the exploits were over the top and it had the hallmarks of a theatrical farce but very enjoyable on the whole

Wedding Night
Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella (Paperback - 27 Feb 2014)
3.85