5.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of a Shopaholic
This is the same book as 'Secret dreamworld of a shopaholic'
(Although still absolutely hysterical!)
Published on 7 Jun 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars A strangely annoying character
This is Rebecca Bloomwood's story of her life as a financial journalist where she reports on all things finacial. But there is a problem her own personal finances are out of control and she cannot bring herself to sort them out. Rebecca has her head in the sand. Then an opportunity to help goes wrong but can she rectify all that she has done and does she really know...
Published on 21 Dec 2010 by Jo D'Arcy

‹ Previous | 126 27 28 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying Heroine, 8 Oct 2006
A. D. Verge (Halifax, Canada) - See all my reviews
I've recently read this entire series due to it being among the scant collection of the only English bookstore where I live in South Korea.

The heroine is annoying. She was good in the first book where you felt she reformed. By the end of the fourth book you realize she's a completely loathsome individual who is a pathological liar and is actually quite stupid. There is no way to like this woman. She's a train wreck and you can only feel sorry for the people around her. She never once gets the help she needs to overcome her shopping obsession - but then if she did get over it the author couldn't write another book in the series.

Don't read this series unless you're stuck in a foreign country and there are no other English novels to read.

I give it 1 star only because there aren't any options lower.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buying use do mean something, 6 Jan 2011
It was delivered quickly, but the condition was not as expected. The front of the book was covered in something greasy and sticky, but with a wet cloth it came off, I'm happy for the book, and bying it used is something I can recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ending unsattisfactory, 30 Mar 2008
I (like most of the other reviewers) read this book in a day. It's easy and funny.

BUT (and it's a big BUT), it kind of loses it in the final couple of chapters. All of a sudden, our heroine becomes a t.v. star, gets her man and (apparently) even her finances are sorted - and it all just happens.

If you're a shopaholic in a similar situation, don't expect solutions because all the terrible problems - the guilt, trauma and embarrassment are sorted in the end without anyone actually DOING anything.

There were also a few unanswered questions - why did Tarquin dump her and how did she turn from being a slightly ignorant woman with absolutely no interest in finance into a financial expert with a regular spot on t.v.?

That said, I DID enjoy it - easy, amusing and if the final chapter fails, then the author hasn't LOST anything - after all, we can't all write Wuthering Heights - but it doesn't encourage me to read any more Sophie Kinsella.

5.0 out of 5 stars what girl cannot identify with becky?, 3 July 2004
"princesssuperstar1989" (Oxford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
i loved this book and easily read it within a couple of days, as it was so gripping!
most girls can understand what becky goes through in the book and even though you can tell right from the beginning that she will get together with luke it still makes a good story.
this is a great chick-lit book and can be enjoyed by shopaholics of all ages...excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars I AM Becky Bloomwood!, 18 Jun 2004
OK, I have read so many books where I kind of identify with the heroine, but this time round, it is serious. I felt like I was practically reading about myself (my name is Rebecca too!) and I'm sure that many women have felt the same way. I have never enjoyed any books as much as I enjoyed the Shopaholic series, and I can't wait till I'm out of my, erm, small debt so that I can buy the fourth book! This book is for anyone who loves to shop and is waiting around for their Luke Brandon .... ;) - you will love it, girls, so go buy it! - b.k. x

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic, 27 April 2003
I read this book over a year now so I wont really give a summary of the story. However, I must say that I loved this book! I was actually going through this phase in my life that I was a shopaholic. I couldn't stop buying clothes, magazines, make-up, DVDs you name it. Whatever I liked I felt compelled to purchase it. That would have been fine if I had been a billionare but not for someone who was continously getting into debt as a result of it. However, when I read this book (bought on one of my shopping sprees) I had to laugh and I was amazed. The character in this book was so similar to me. The way she tries to convince herself that she HAS to buy that sweater, and the way she ignores those credit card bills and her bank calling her home is simply described so humorously. The book in itself is pleasurable to read. The character is hilarious and you really have to cringe at the things and messes she gets herslef into. In addition, you learn, or I did, to have a little more common sense when it comes to shopping.
Or, you can always marry a billionare.

5.0 out of 5 stars You are guaranteed for good laugh, do u you love shopping?, 19 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This book was recommended by a friend of mine. I actually read this book in Japanese. yep, my friend was right, I love shopping, like many girls who have read this book, I saw a lot of myself in Rebecca. Every night I found it so hard to put the book down in my bed, eventually I woke up very sleepy every morning until I finished the book.... I cannot wait for Sophie Kinsella's new book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unoriginal, 16 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Although the insights into shopping are clever and certainly made me smile with recognition the book is very reminiscent of Bridget Jones Diary. Many of the ideas seem to be weaker copies from that book and the humour and style is not close to the quality of Helen Fielding's writing.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a fix!!, 19 Mar 2009
Ms. E. Jones (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book thinking it was part of a series, however when I started reading it and read the back cover, I realised that it had been previously published but under a different name, the content was exactly the same. What a waste of money for a book I already have with a different cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 16 Aug 2007
S. Firth (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm in two minds with this book. Some parts i liked, others i didnt. And Becky Bloomwood totally does my head in. At times, i wanted to reach into the book and punch her head in. I'm probably saying this because i can't relate to her world, i'm not a shopaholic, i prefer knowing i have money in the bank and not spending it on stupid things. But, we all justify our spending sometimes (much like i did when i decided to buy the whole shopaholic series in one go without reading this one first) but she has to do it all the time. And if i hear the word 'investment' any more i will scream!

Yes, every other thing she bought was excused as an 'investment.' And most of the time she didnt need stuff. Like the stupid Denny and George scarf. Who needs a scarf that costs that much? She bought a lot of things to impress other people saying "I will be known as 'the girl who wears the Denny and George scarf'" Who cares what other people think?!

And i hate it when she says 'i will just treat myself' when she hasnt done anything to deserve a treat. i mean, she hasnt found a cure for cancer or anything. She seems so selfish and spoilt. She wants everything. And she seems childish too. She doesnt take responsibility for anything. She needs to grow up. And some parts of the book bored me, esecially when it was anything to do with her work, financial stuff bores me. And when she tried to cut back with the help of that book. Lets be honest, she didnt even try. I wanted to shout 'Just stop spending!'

Anyway, there was stuff i liked about the book. Stuff like, her parents were quite funny, and the letters from people she owed money to were a really good and funny feature dotted throught the book, and Luke Brandon i liked. Although i didnt like the ending, it ended quite abruptly i thought. So it's good that there was a follow on book! And i'm now half-way through reading 'Shopaholic Abroad' and i do like it a bit better than this book although i will review that properly when i finish it.

Anyway, having said all that about this book, it wasnt a terrible read, and i did find myself wanting to delve into Becky's world more and more. I'm not dissapointed that i bought this series but i just wish Becky would grow up and stop been pathetic. hopefully she will as i read on.

‹ Previous | 126 27 28 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb3ee10f0)

The Secret Dreamworld Of A Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 1)
The Secret Dreamworld Of A Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 1) by Sophie Kinsella (Paperback - 19 Jan 2012)
3.85