4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect
This is a story about time. How a few seconds can alter lives forever.

Byron Hemming is concerned after his friend James tells him that two seconds are going to be added to time. He becomes convinced that this is unnatural and is sure to result in some disastrous consequences. He is not wrong. After he inadvertently causes an accident, his life begins to...
Published 8 months ago by Tash Last

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing
I loved Rachel Joyce’s first novel, ‘The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry’, but found her second one harder to get through.

On the one hand, we follow the lives of Byron, his family and his friend James over the course of a summer in the 1970’s. An accident, two additional seconds and a childish need to right a wrong will have...
Published 5 months ago by Macey89

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect is perfect, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
I read Ms Joyce's first novel "the unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry" and was bitten. She is excellent, she paints pictures with her words so clear and vibrant, she is a pleasure to read. Please keep up the good work. A fan for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars another great book, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
Another great story from Joyce. she is so descriptive- you feel like you are there. looking forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable and utterly moving, 1 Sep 2013
Bookish (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect (Hardcover)
I read this compelling story in the space of a weekend - once I had started it I couldn't stop until I had reached the end. It is a very touching story and required a good few tissues in the last few chapters. I will be recommending it to all my friends and can't wait to read Joyce's other book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and touching, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
great characters, the type you make friends with and don't want to leave behind when the story is done. a lovely read again by Rachel Joyce. as touching as Fry.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving experience, 12 July 2014
Siltone (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
Having already read and enjoyed The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, I had no reservations about buying Rachel Joyce's second novel. Many reviewers have given their synopses of the story so I don't believe it's necessary for me to repeat the gist of Perfect. I just want to state here and now that I really enjoyed reading this novel. On the surface, it appeared to be written in fairly simplistic terms but as I got drawn deeper into the story, I began to realise how perceptive the author is and how she masterfully shows how people can be psychologically scarred for life by their past decisions and experiences. I thought her take on mental illness was very well portrayed. The characters of Byron and James were made believable and I felt myself willing them on in their mission to help Byron's mother. I completed reading this book in two days and found it to be a compassionate and well-crafted tale that dealt with a number of topics - in particular the bonds of friendship and the basic need for people to find their 'place' within this world. Hankies at the ready for this one folks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rachel Joyce's Prose Is A Delight, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry left me in tears but, whilst Perfect touches on similar areas of love and loss, I feel that it is a slightly (just slightly) more upbeat novel.

When schoolboy Byron hears that there are going to be an extra two seconds added to the year to correct time, he becomes obsessed about it and, as a result, there follows an accident that has repercussions for the rest of his life. This is the unusual concept on which the book is based.

Although I felt that some of the events in the novel felt a little contrived (an organ concert in particular) the story is fascinating as poor Byron and his friend James attempt to resolve the fallout from the accident. Byron's downtrodden mother and his near absentee father are beautifully drawn characters as too is the supermarket cafeteria worker in the future whose story runs parallel throughout the book.

Rachel Joyce's prose is an absolute delight - she weaves her words together poetically and it is worth the price of the book for this alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still confused, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
Loved the book. It had a nice twist at the end, which in spite of others having said the same thing, it was still unexpected. I have to confess, however, to a little confusion over the ending, but it was a very good read and I would certainly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
I found myself being totally captivated by Rachel's extensive use of metaphors and beautiful language. A real heart-warming read, which I definitely recommend to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars After Harold comes Jim, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
I never thought this book would be anything like as good as her fist novel but Rachel Joyce has surpassed my expectations and come up with another winner. I cannot wait for her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another successful story told., 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
Enchanting read, loved Byron but adore Jim. Rachel Joyce has a way of writing that makes me want to take Jim home and look after him for ever. She did the same with the character Harold in The PILGRIMAGE OF HAROLD FRY.

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

Perfect
Perfect by Rachel Joyce (Paperback - 27 Feb 2014)
3.85