5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping From The Start
Published on 8 Aug 2012 by Beatrix

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, funny in places but a bit "fluffy"
I was really looking forward to this book as I had enjoyed her previous one. This book was okay, a bit simplistic, readable and funny in places. It wasn't unusual or anywhere near as gripping and powerful as the previous one.
Published on 2 Sep 2012 by Y. L. Dudley

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping From The Start, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: The War of the Wives (Hardcover)
War of the Wives is gripping from the start, with the discovery of a dead body in the Thames closely followed by the shocking revelation that the man in question - Simon Busfield - was leading a double life. The lives of his two families become irrevocably entwined and an intriguing story unfolds, told, in turn, by his two very different wives, Lottie and Selina, as they experience denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. In her second novel Tamar Cohen perfectly captures the fragility of contemporary family life and relationships, and the unpredictability of teenage behaviour, with a pacy narrative that is often highly amusing and chillingly accurate. I enjoyed every minute!

4.0 out of 5 stars Murky, muddled, messy marriage lines., 28 Jan 2014
Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The War of the Wives (Paperback)
Two mums; Selina and Lottie. Two sons, Felix and Josh. Two daughters, Flora and Sadie. Something is amiss, there's only one husband/dad, slippery, secretive Simon... And now he's dead. There are a chorus of confidantes, sisters, friends, who cluster around and advise, but no one else really understands what being betrayed so effectively feels like.

A page turner, for sure; I just had to find out how it sorted itself. This is an undercurrent of drama, money is missing, dark forces are at work. The police appear slow to uncover the truth. A lot rides on the result, insurance payments, property deals.

I was irritated by the very short bites we had of each lady. In quick succession we hear from sharp Selina, in her smart upmarket home and Lottie who is softer, slightly more bohemian. Flick, flick. This is written for people with a short attention span. I would preferred more depth, more time to get to know each situation.

I read it on the kindle, which as usual, meant the words passed by my eyes rather differently than when holding a paper version. Throughout, however, I was enthralled, excited and engaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars The war of the wives, 28 May 2013
EssexReader (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This was my first book by Tamar Cohen and I very much enjoyed it. I loved the style of writing -it's sharp, perceptive and witty and I really felt as though I were reading about real people. I was hooked from the very start and it was a book that I couldn't put down.

Selina has been married to Simon for 28 years, they have 3 children and an expensive lifestyle with money seemingly in abundance. Lottie has been married to Simon for 17 years, they have one child, they live in a small flat, are struggling for money but appear to be happy. However, when Simon is found dead, in suspicious circumstances, the worlds of the two families collide and they are left to deal with the consequences.

To find out that you've been deceived by your husband for nearly the whole of your married life - after having his children, supporting his career and building a life together can only be devastating. We experience every emotion of both Selina and Lottie and that of their children, including denial and anger.

There is also an element of danger running through the story, Simon appeared to have some shady business partners who are seeking recompense and the two families are in the firing line.

The story is narrated in turn by each wife so you get to see both views. All the characters are so well written, you can't help but feel involved in their lives. Of the two wives, I preferred the character of Selina. Although she appears to be a high maintenance wife and has a sometimes unpleasant superior attitude, she shows herself to be more of a coper whereas Lottie comes across as being rather scatterbrained and helpless who retreats rather than face up to life.

I wasn't sure about the epilogue - this was a little too contrived for me but this doesn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the book and I'm looking forward to reading The Mistress's Revenge which is also on my bookshelf.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, funny in places but a bit "fluffy", 2 Sep 2012
Y. L. Dudley (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars `What's the worst that can happen when the worst that can happen has already happened?', 17 July 2012
L. H. Healy "Books are life, beauty and truth." (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The War of the Wives (Hardcover)
Two women who have both been married - one for twenty-eight years with three children, the other for seventeen years with one daughter - to the same man who travels a lot, suddenly come face to face with each other for thefirst time at his funeral. There they learn of the existence of each other, and the novel follows their thoughts and behaviour as they both experience the feelings of denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance, each of which are the titles of the five parts of this story.

The two wives, Selina and Lottie, narrate the story alternately throughout. Selina and Lottie are vastly different women in terms of their lifestyles and outlooks, but inside, they have shared concerns and have both been deeply hurt. Somehow they must now learn to deal with each other.

This is a thoroughly entertaining and compelling read, at times droll and darkly humorous, at others deeply emotional and tragic. It is a very witty novel with a deliciously exciting starting point, which immediately arouses curiosity in the reader as to what will happen next. The author deftly unpicks the seams of these two seemingly contented families to expose the secrets, hurt and confusion underneath, and portrays two distinctive women who are forced to confront the same harsh reality and re-examine their pasts in a new light. The use of the two first-person viewpoints allows us to get right to the heart of everything that happens, making for a memorable and intimate story.

4.5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not really my thing., 29 July 2013
I'll be brief, partly because I stayed up into the early hours trying to finish this in my limited child-free time, thus my head is as non-productive as a dead stag-beetle. It just is.
Hmm. This book. Hmm. It was really good and I found it very compelling, and yet it just wasn't my cup of tea, despite having reasonably varied tastes. Maybe it suffered from the fact that I read it straight after Kate Morton's latest, which I simply loved.
This doesn't mean that I shan't try Cohen's Mistress's Revenge. I shall. But I'll leave a gap first. I'm not anticipating that one to be quite my thing either, but I'm sure it'll be just as compelling and hugely rewarding to many other readers. Not very insightful, I know. Better end there before I fall asleep and dribble all over the keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 17 Nov 2013
I could"t put this book down! It's about a bigamist who has been living a double life for nearly 20 years and the wives find out about each other when he dies. The death is treated as a suicide however there is a twist!

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 3 Sep 2013
The book was quite good and an enjoyable read until the last part. It seemed to end quite abruptly and the ending was quite unexpected. It was as though the author thought I have written enough and just finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five star read, 30 Aug 2013
When I started this book I thought it would be a bit of chicklit fluff. I am delighted to say I was wrong. I found the characters well drawn and believable even though their circumstances would seem somewhat incredible. Indeed the surrealistic nature of the plot highlighted and drew out the humanity of each of them. I felt I had met these people.
The story is well paced and I didn't want to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Aug 2013
Absolutely loved this book! Could not put it down! I kept me hooked and wanting more and kept me guessing right until the end. I'm not sure how I felt about the ending yet but I'm not sure if it was just an anti climax because it had to end.

The War of the Wives
The War of the Wives by Tamar Cohen (Paperback - 20 Jun 2013)