4.0 out of 5 stars Nora, I'll miss you
Published on 30 Jun 2012 by Julia Flyte

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the must read divorce book
it is a nice little read but if like me you're thinking of buying it because you've read on the internet that this is one of the "must read books if your going through a divorce" then I really wouldn't, the part about divorce is only a few pages long and it come towards the end.
Published 3 months ago by Cola

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nora, I'll miss you, 30 Jun 2012
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The fabulous Nora Ephron wrote this at 69, two years before her premature death from complications from leukemia. It's a short book, a collection of anecdotes about her life, thoughts on things that annoy her and how it feels to be getting old. Although she doesn't mention her health, she alludes to it when she lists things that she will and won't miss after she passes on, and thanks her doctors at the end.

Nora is - was - a wonderful writer and she can tell stories that don't amount to much in such a way that you enjoy every moment of the telling. I especially enjoyed her thoughts about how your memory goes as you get older - how you start off thinking it's somewhat amusing that you can't locate the name of a movie you saw or a book that you read, but how you eventually start to feel disconnected from the life that you have lived because you can't remember huge chunks of it, even though some insignificant details stick insistently in your brain.

I liked this book. It's both funny and melancholy. It makes you think about small things that you don't usually think about and it makes me sad to think that this will be the last book she wrote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Set in the USA but relative to us all, 8 Mar 2011
Diana Hamilton (Gibraltar) - See all my reviews
Anyone of a "certain age" will recognise themselves in this book which is, in turn, funny, sad and extremely perceptive. I now realise that I may have the beginnings of an Aruba [you'll have to read the book to find out what this is!] so am advising my friends accordingly! This is the first book by Norah Ephron which I have read but it definitely won't be my last.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Disc Is Not Full It Is Empty, 14 Nov 2010
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Nora Ephron has written a very humorous book with which I agree. She makes fun of herself as she ages, and I think many of us can identify with her plight. As she says, her memory is akin to a disc, it is not full, it is empty.

'I Remember Nothing' is a small book but filled with some wisdom and observations that make it well worth the read. The first chapter is a take on the title, 'I Remember Nothing', and it appears that is true. She relates many of the instances she can remember where she forgot. The films, books and times that were filled with fun, but gosh, what was the name of that actor. We can relate, where are my keys and glasses? Nora copes with her forgetfulness by keeping a list of things she refuses to know about. I agree with The Kardashians, American Idol and the Bachelor. But, soccer and mojitos, no way. 'Who Are You' another chapter deals with people you can't remember. A silly chapter, really. I have no trouble telling someone I am sorry but I can't remember their first name. Nora goes through hoops, it seems, to disguise her forgetfulness. 'Journalism, A Love Story, is the reason to read this book. This is a love story of her profession, and she tells us about her first job at 'Newsweek' and her rise as a woman in the field of journalism. In-between she gives us a few stories of Philip Graham, Newsweek's owner and his difficulty with Bi-Polar Disorder. The life of a young woman working in 1960's New York City, hard liquor, no wine; no take-out and lots of swearing, but not the F word. She got a job at the New York Post and started writing by-lines, and she learned her craft. She then went on to writing for magazines and films. She married and divorced and remarried. She learned that she was correct, she loved journalism and it was right for her.

Nora talks about her alcoholic parents and in particular her mother, and how she held her mother up as an idol until her alcoholism took her away. The story of her mother and Lillian Ross is memorable and quite profound. The bits and pieces of her life give us a glimpse into the soul of Nora Ephron, and she doesn't really want to give much away. She talks about diets, Teflon, her bald spot, the meatloaf named after her. The Christmas dinners with friends of twenty two years, and the memories and the people she loves. Divorce and how it became who she was for a time, and then how, she is getting old, not older but old. Times change, the children leave, it is just the two of you and how you cope, and then finally, the list of things she won't miss: emails, vacuum cleaners, mammograms, and the things she will miss, bacon, waffles, her kids, her friends- a much longer list than any of the others.

'I Remember Nothing' is a love story of growing old and older, a time that many of us will face, and Nora Ephron faces old age with grace and humor. And, I like it. I want to grow old just like her. Too much to do and see, and so little tme.

Recommended. prisrob 11-09-10

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous as ever, Nora, 29 Mar 2011
Penelope Simpson "penny simpson" (dorset, england) - See all my reviews
A wonderful laugh-out-loud read. She says the things we all think but she puts them into words. The chapter on emails made me laugh hysterically for about ten minutes. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely to dip in to, 15 July 2012
A nice little book full of anecdotes from her life. This would be a good book to leave in a guest bathroom, you can pick it up and read just one chapter at a time. None of the essays are very long and some don't say much but they all leave you thinking in one way or another.
A nice little read and I would recommend it, particularly to women of a certain age who will relate to most of what she says.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good night in, 4 May 2011
This is a lovely easy read funny book that is almost as good a night in with a girlfriend.

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 26 May 2011
It is a very relatable and I enjoyed it though at 33, I feel I am perhaps a little young for it and it is aimed at a slightly older reader!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 17 April 2013
Clodagh (Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Remember Nothing and other reflections (Paperback)
Sweet, funny and very honest. I really enjoyed this book and the Nora Ephron way of looking at life - would recommend to any woman

5.0 out of 5 stars HILARIOUS, 16 April 2013
This review is from: I Remember Nothing and other reflections (Paperback)
I wasn't expecting this to be as delightful, funny or utterly truthful as it was. It'll especially appeal to older people as she boldly and entertainingly describes the lighter woes that beset us in later years and makes us laugh along with her at them. The print size and layout is also conducive to making it an enjoyable read--and a fab present for seniors with a sense of humour.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the must read divorce book, 24 May 2014

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

I Remember Nothing and other reflections
I Remember Nothing and other reflections by Nora Ephron (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)
5.59