5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent.
Published on 1 July 2004 by S. Hapgood

2.0 out of 5 stars A Desirable Residence
I love Sophie Kinsella and when I realised she had written under another name I thought I've got to read them. Well I picked up this one and I was disappointed as it did not have me, not wanting to put the book down, like I normally can't do.

Published on 24 Aug 2010 by Karen Gooderham

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 1 July 2004
S. Hapgood "www.sjhstrangetales.com" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Desirable Residence (Paperback)
I've recently enjoyed reading Madeleine Wickham's first book "The Tennis Party", but felt it lacked bite, but I was optimistic that this would change as she went on, and this, her second book, proved it. It largely concerns Jonathan and Liz Chambers who have decided to set up their own tutorial college, and have got themselves into an alarming state of debt in the process. Estate agent Marcus Witherstone, a middle-aged smoothie with some dubious business deals on the side, steps in to help them. Liz finds herself becoming smitten by his charms and the two embark on an affaire. Meanwhile her daughter, Alice, is having a bad case of teenage blues, and starts to spend more and more of her time with Piers and Ginny, the trendy London couple who move in to her parents old house. Piers is a good-looking but failed actor, and Alice inevitably gets a crush on him. Also in the mix is Marcus's wife, Anthea, an ambitious woman who has set frighteningly high standards for their two sons (Wickham writes very engagingly about the two little lads, and has a real understanding of children). This is one of those very rare books these days that I actually wished was longer. Liz's affair is very real and very sad, as we see this woman deluding herself that she's about to embark on a new and glamorous life. Wickham is branded as a light author (i.e presumably not serious and heavyweight like Anita Brookner for instance), and yet she writes about human relationships with a lot more insight and credibility than many so-called quality authors. A good read all round.

4.0 out of 5 stars A BIT MADCAP, A LOT OF FUN, 5 July 2010
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Desirable Residence (Audio CD)
Those who enjoyed the over-the-top popular Shopaholic series will be delighted to find that Madeline Wickham (who wrote the Shopaholics as Sophie Kinsella) has returned with her trademark tart wit, unerring eye, and imagination to introduce us to Liz and Jonathan Chambers who find themselves thigh-high in debt thanks to two mortgages, sky rocketing bills and an unknowable, impossible young daughter, Alice.

Set in suburban London Liz and Jonathan see no way out of their financial troubles until Marcus, a realtor, appears (more than appears as he and Liz begin an affair). Marcus is a busy guy - he also suggests that Jonathan and Liz rent their unsold home to a couple from London, wonderful idea until the tenants arrive - Ginny and Piers Prestice.

Ginny is a glam gal with a PR job, and husband Piers is a wannabe actor who may or may not land a top spot on an upcoming soapie. Thus begins the merry mix-up (think a Noel Coward comedy of errors and characters). Surprisingly, Alice takes a liking to the Prentices; Anthea, Marcus's wife thinks Jonathan can do no wrong; Marcus regrets a past not-too-smart business deal There is an assortment of woes, enough for all and more.

If we're still thinking of a Noel Coward comedy, it's Act III and Ginny hosts a party on the eve of Piers's all-important audition. You're going to have to listen to hear the fireworks at this festive event.

Voice performer Kate Kellgren is the perfect performer to bring this cast of characters to life - she has perfect comic timing and a range that allows listeners to quickly and easily distinguish Liz from Ginny and Alice from Althea, etc.

Loads of wily Wickham fun! Enjoy.

- Gail Cooke

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 31 May 2009
Rebecca Roberts (North and Mid Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Desirable Residence (Paperback)
As an avid fan of Sophie Kinsella, I hoped that the books written as Madeleine Wickham would prove to be,if not as good, then at least a good read.
I read 'A Desirable Residence' and was not disappointed...so went on to buy the rest of the books by this author.
Madeleine had proved, time and time again that she understands how people 'tick' and can write a great story about the simplest of events.
All her books are well written, she has an enviable talent, and if they do not prove to be 'classics' they certainly do what they set out to do,they entertain the reader...every time!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Desirable Residence, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: A Desirable Residence (Paperback)

This book is about a couple called Liz and Jonathan Chambers who have just brought a Tutorial College in Silchester and they can't sell their old house. One day when Liz is in the estate agents (wanting to know why they have still not found a buyer for their house) she meets the owner Marcus Witherstone and he says can find tenants for her house as the property market is a bit slow. On the day Marcus and Liz are meeting the tenants they both seem to have an attraction to one another and before long they are booking into hotels behind the other partners backs.

You also have Liz and Jonathan's daughter Alice who has no friends and quickly ends up becoming friends with the new tenants Ginny and Piers (who happens to be an actor). She spends all her time at her old house with them.

The book is based around all these people and for me it's just to much and it is also all over the place and you sort of get a bit lost. So I won't be reccommending and I am not sure whether to try another one under Madeleine Wickham.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gemma, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: A Desirable Residence (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the storyline eg the plot, however as I got about half way through I realised that I did not like the main characters and did not really warm or care for any of them. The book also annoyed me in places as I felt it was a bit unrealistic. Having said that I did still want to know how things would unfold and contiued reading the book to the end.
I was slightly disapointed with the ending and also felt that the book ended quite abrupltly. I would proberly say that this book is worth a read if you can get it from the library however I would not recomended buying it as I have read a lot better.

3.0 out of 5 stars slightly disappointing when her other books are brilliant, 9 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: A Desirable Residence (Paperback)
I was totally gripped by Swimming Pool Sunday and the Tennis Party so I embarked on Desirable Residence with great enthusiasm. I found the plot a bit strange and not entirely believable. The characters however were great, particularly the youngsters who were good fun. I enjoyed it but not as much as the other two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Desirable residence, 5 April 2014
This review is from: A Desirable Residence (Paperback)
Well what can I say Madeleine Wickham / Sophie kinsella another great read. Will not disappoint. A great buy for my collection

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 1 Mar 2014
Was really looking forward to reading this but felt it lacked substance and length. I didn't even realise that I had come to the end of the book as it didn't feel conclude. Very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A desirable Residence, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Desirable Residence (Paperback)
A bit too much character detail to begin with, took a while to get into but half way through couldn't put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars nothing like her others, 22 Sep 2013
Took a while to get into. Boring overall.
Not funny and endearing like her other books. Came to an abrupt end.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xadde2aa4)

A Desirable Residence
A Desirable Residence by Sophie Kinsella w/a Madeleine Wickham (Paperback - 27 Oct 2011)
5.29