1,702 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable book
A seemingly small event can change the direction of a life completely: a chance encounter with a stranger who harms you or a conversation that detains you which means you miss bumping into the person, a meeting with the German you fall in love with and marry or being helped up from a fall by an Englishman. Life is full of moments which change the direction a person...
Published 17 months ago by Bron

3.0 out of 5 stars So wanted to like it but could have done with a good edit
Life After Life follows a female protagonist, Ursula Tod from birth in 1910, through the different ways in which life would have unravelled if Ursula had died at various hair raising points in her life. A couple of World Wars, as well as other tragic scenarios, are involved, and you can't fault the detailed recreations of these grim times. Also intricate plotting is one...
Published 15 months ago by Denise Kong

‹ Previous | 1150 151 152171 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Déjà Vue, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant book, so cleverly constructed that the reader becomes Ursula and has the same sensations of knowing the future, personal identity with the past and déjà vue. A second reading has made this phenomenon even stronger.....the book transforms the reader.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
The prose in this book was skilfully written - as one might expect from Kate Atkinson. Unfortunately it didn't have the same impact on me as it seems to have had on so many other readers , in fact I only made it to page 310 and then decided I wouldn't read any further. Reading this book was a bit like picking a scab - you know it's going to hurt to see a character die and be reborn repeatedly but you keep picking the book up and reading a bit more - eventually I allowed myself to stop picking the literary scab. Reading is my escape from work related stress and I want to read things that don't make me feel sad or hurt throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consideration of life's choices, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
This book made me reflect upon choices that I have made in my own life. The story line was fascinating and the authors descriptions of life during the blitz in London were detailed and thorough.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have read for a long time, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
The story examines the idea of the different paths one life can take and how seemingly small events or decisions can have far reaching consequences. The story gripped me from the start, the characters were brought to life extremely well and the description of life in London during the blitz was moving and shocking.

This novel will stay in my mind for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A completely absorbing read from.start to finish, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
Kate Atkinson's storytelling goes from.strength to.strength. The characters are excellently drawn, the strands of the book cleverly drawn.together and I found it hard to.put down. I recommend it to.anyone who likes a thought-provoking read with a convincing portrayal of life during WW2.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read all the time and it's one of the best., 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
A book of very real characters, not all of them pleasant. It's got so many layers to it that I intend to read it again almost straight away. I can't say how much I loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Life after life, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
Disappointed...a boring trudge through minor details of peoples lives. Definitely not a page turner..not for me. Expected more, and gave up when 70% through

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not grip me, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
Am not very far in, and find myself switching to other books - it is hard work - but maybe it will get better later?

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Hardcover)
I'm not a literary critic but I thought this book was awful in fact I didn't even finish it. Every year I read the long list of the Mann Booker prize so I'm not stupid but I just couldn't get into this book. I really didn't care what happened to the main character and with the start of the next new life I felt like screaming.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
I became a Kate Atkinson fan after reading her Jackson brodie books. This is very different. Nature and clever, not the world easiest read but eventually satisfying.

‹ Previous | 1150 151 152171 | Next ›

Life After Life
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (Paperback - 30 Jan 2014)