3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but heavy going, 11 Oct 2005
By A Customer
As a mere armchair philosopher/historian, I do not have the breadth of training and I am not so well read as to be able to breeze through such words as 'lucubration'. Whilst this is surely a failing in my education, it makes what was otherwise a highly enjoyable book far too heavy going. I cannot comment on the accuracy or validity of the statements therein, but I did find it provoked a lot of thought, which, after all, is the purpose of any book. I'd just rather have done it without having to refer to a dictionary so often.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice title shame about the content, 20 Jun 2003
Andrew Paul Hart (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is not a history, its not a guide, its not philosophy. Its a loosely strung together collection of mildly interesting anecdotes apparently taken at random from the authors no doubt voluminous store of facts. I have to assume the facts are correct given his history credentials, but the style gives me no confidence.
The book is reminiscent of a very long dinner party where one of the guests takes every opportunity to demonstrate the breadth of their interests by dropping things into the conversation whether they are immediately relevant or not.
I can imagine it delivered in a nasal pompous drawl, expensive wine in hand, head tilted back for effect and a judicious smattering of pregnant pauses.
I soldiered on for 1/3 of the book before I couldn’t force myself to go on any further.

Truth
Truth by Felipe Fernandez-Armesto (Paperback - 24 Mar 2010)
9.22