5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true
This review is for the unabridged CD read by the author. This is always going to be a love it or hate it series of views. If you really don't like Dee and his style of grumpy reflection then this is going to do nothing to change your mind.
If however you are someone born in the 60's who has grown fed up with the worrying and frankly downright annoying mess we call...
Published on 29 Oct 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read
A long drawn out read to get to the point where his life changed after being discovered. However quite enjoyable and infomative.
Published 7 months ago by cliff mccarthy

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - I'm hardly Jack's biggest fan, yet I quite enjoyed it, 26 Sep 2011
I've never been Jack's biggest fan as a stand-up, on Big Brother which I never watched or Shooting Stars on which he does very little, so it was with suitably low expectations that I downloaded this sample along with anything else that a "comedy" search on Amazon threw up for the Kindle. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. As some of the other reviewers have pointed out, the topics covered are rather mundane and a bit miserable (what did you expect him to be like?!), but for all that, I found this book very readable, with a few laugh out loud moments, which is more than can be said for many comedians' memoirs.

P.S. My only gripe was that the pagination displayed as about 80% width on the Kindle, something I'm sure Jack had nothing to do with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 14 Jun 2010
Ms. K. Crawford (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
I was a little unsure what to expect from this book, I thought as I read it I would hear Jack's voice in my head, which did happen in a couple of the chapters. I love his out look on whats happened to get him to where he is now. Hes depressing and funny all at the same time. Really good book, easy reading, ideal for the train journey to work or laying around on the beach - you will laugh out loud though so I'd keep the jacket on the book if you get the hardback.

5.0 out of 5 stars AS WITTY AS THE MAN HIMSELF, 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
This book is better than I expected it to be. It is clearly written by Jack Dee himself, not a ghostwriter, and is about half and half autobiography and his opinions on life, penned with his trademark morbid, self-deprecating humour. It is never less than amusing and engaging, and at times it's laugh-out-loud funny. You'll find yourself empathising over his problems with personal organisers, printers and people who take offence. A fascinating insight, also, into what made him the man he is today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Jack!, 29 Nov 2009
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Audio CD)
I've been a big fan of Jack Dee's since back in the 90's when I saw one of his videos, I think it was my best friend that introduced me to him, and I just couldn't stop laughing, and watched most of his DVDs from then onwards. His dry humour, and his sarcasm always appealed to me, and his feelings on some subjects clicked with me. So when I saw his autobiography, I had to have a listen.

One thing I love about this is it is Jack reading it, so you get the best from it, he knows what he's written, and he knows what to emphasise and how to make it more "real" - if anyone else had done this narration I wouldn't have bothered, but it's Jack, and it's great, you get his sarcastic tone, and his dry jokes all the way through, though it's not a funny book all the way through, there are some really interesting morsels about his life. I didn't know a lot about Jack, so this was an eye opener.

This is 7CDs - 7hrs 48mins in total, and worth every moment, Jack annotates his life - and tells us some interesting insights into his education, work life, and his personal life, and his wife Jane. He also has a good go at stupid things he hates, which is so typical Jack, which I really enjoyed.

If you like Jack Dee, you should get this, it's an essential - and is probably the best biog I have seen in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deadpan...... really?, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
There's alot more to Jack than just being bloody funny. I love this book and it gets better the more I read it. Jack tells stories you haven't heard before so after reading it, you'll get it why he's so original. The deeper into the book I read, the more apparent why he thinks and writes clearly and makes it sound hilarious. Although he wasn't an alcoholic, he seems to have learnt some useful life tools by going to AA meetings. It also comes through that Jane his wife is an enormous support to his success. Is she fiesty or what? Great book to give to someone who needs encouragement and a laugh and wants to see why Jack's made it so much bigger than others in the business. I predict this will be a comedy classic.

Peter 'the greeter'

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 16 Nov 2009
Ms. L. CORRY (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
I laugh out loud when I read it. It's like having Jack Dee "Live At The Apollo" in front of me - same idea, same jokes and deadpan observations, which were exactly what I was looking for - typical Jack Dee. It doesn't appear to follow a specific timeline/storyline. I think Mr Dee's publishers attempt to keep him on some kind of chronological path. But it is such a good book, it doesn't make a difference. Although I haven't finished it yet. So it may come together at the end. Either way, it is at least a laugh a page. Thoroughly good value, and a great-pick-me-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest autobiography I read in ages!, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
What a great read this was. Jack is just the funniest guy ever. This might not be everyone's sense of humour but to me it's absolute gold. Also it was very interesting to find out about his beginnings on stage, all together this was exactly what I expected. And I loved the acknowledgements, this is probably the only time I actually read that bit in a book, other authors should be taking notes!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some First Class Grizzles And Gripes, 2 May 2014
Sarah Tipper (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
We’ve all done crap jobs, but we can’t all write about them amusingly. Jack Dee can. He gives us the glib, sneery TV persona we’re all used to, but we also get an honest depth of feeling juxtaposed with this. He tells us the funny versions of how he feels or behaved and then he tells the actual versions which are sometimes surprising. You want him to succeed at comedy and he does so it’s a feel good book in a sense. There are also some first class grizzles and gripes, as you would expect. However, this isn’t the grumpiest autobiography I’ve read, that would be Morrissey’s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the audible version, 28 Jan 2014
James Rust (Sidcup, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
Always been a fan of Jack Dee and bought this in hardback quite a while ago, and life being what it is never got around to reading it. I pay monthly to Audible.co.uk for, er, audio books as I spend a lot of time in the car and this seems the best way to drown out the insanity of the world around me - and what a way in this case. Jack's reading of his own book is tremendous, the material therein equal parts witty, touching, wistful and extraordinarily well put together. Indeed, I have nearly crashed the car on at least two occasions crying with laughter and my only criticism is that I wanted it to be longer. We want more Jack! Outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars An ideal gift for a man with sense of humour!, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
This was a gift for my husband's birthday. He opened it and didn't stop laughing until he got to the end. As a gift it was successful! I haven't read it yet but his verdict was that it was an excellent gift and he really enjoyed it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Thanks For Nothing
Thanks For Nothing by Jack Dee (Paperback - 10 Jun 2010)
5.59