5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true
This review is for the unabridged CD read by the author. This is always going to be a love it or hate it series of views. If you really don't like Dee and his style of grumpy reflection then this is going to do nothing to change your mind.
If however you are someone born in the 60's who has grown fed up with the worrying and frankly downright annoying mess we call...
Published on 29 Oct. 2009 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars "Dull as ditchwater"
I bought this book in the kindle version with high expectations based on the 25- five star reviews singing Dee's praises. I have, however to totally disagree with many of the previous reviewers. This is without doubt one of the dullest books I have ever read. The challenge was to see it through to the end to see if the book would pick up - sadly it did not.

As...
Published on 30 Jan. 2011 by Psychology Student

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to put a smile on your face, 3 Dec. 2009
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
Nearly all comedians seem to bring out an autobiography these days, usually just in time for Christmas. There is nothing wrong with this, except they can get a bit samey. Most of them tell us about their schooldays during which they took part in a stage production that lit the flames that led them to their future career. Upon leaving school they will tell us that they struggled for a while until that lucky break came and put them on the road to fame and fortune. Whilst that is basically Jack Dee's story too he has written his autobiography in a style that is fresh & new, resulting in one of the best showbiz books that I have read for ages.

Jack Dee is the latest in the line of `miserable' comics (following on from such greats like Tony Hancock and Les Dawson) and it is in that grumpy style that he writes this book. Like his stand up routine he moans about everything and everybody. Plumbers, barbers, golf, football, twitterers, phone in radio shows, ink cartridges and printers all get the Dee treatment - and that is just scratching the surface - but in amongst the rants he weaves his life story.

This is an extremely entertaining book and some of the stories he relates are genuinely very funny. His anecdotes about his breakfast at Cliveden, his Australian house guests and his experiences has a motorcycle courier in particular tickled my funny bone. He also tells us that had things turned out a little differently he could now be a chef at the Ritz Hotel or even the Reverend Dee.

As this book ends when his stand-up career starts to take off (this is after he realises that people find his miserable persona to be funny) I hope that it means that he will be writing about what happened after that in the near future. I will definitely buy it if he does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deadpan, Dead funny, 14 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
If you thought you knew everything to laugh about Jack Dee, then read this! More laugh-out-loud side splitting comedy moments then you could ever get at the Comedy Store without the drunken hecklers!

5.0 out of 5 stars AS WITTY AS THE MAN HIMSELF, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
This book is better than I expected it to be. It is clearly written by Jack Dee himself, not a ghostwriter, and is about half and half autobiography and his opinions on life, penned with his trademark morbid, self-deprecating humour. It is never less than amusing and engaging, and at times it's laugh-out-loud funny. You'll find yourself empathising over his problems with personal organisers, printers and people who take offence. A fascinating insight, also, into what made him the man he is today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 14 Jun. 2010
Ms. K. Crawford (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
I was a little unsure what to expect from this book, I thought as I read it I would hear Jack's voice in my head, which did happen in a couple of the chapters. I love his out look on whats happened to get him to where he is now. Hes depressing and funny all at the same time. Really good book, easy reading, ideal for the train journey to work or laying around on the beach - you will laugh out loud though so I'd keep the jacket on the book if you get the hardback.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really great audiobook, 22 Dec. 2009
Jl Adcock "John Adcock" (Ashtead UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Audio CD)
At last - a book about a well-known comedian that goes beyond the obvious shallow autobiographical template. Jack Dee reading the unabridged version of Thanks For Nothing is revealing, entertaining, surprisingly moving in places, and yes, of course, filled with Dee's trademark deadpan and miserable observations on aspects of modern life. It's the kind of down-to-earth approach that made his early comedy appearances so refreshing and amusing - like someone speaking their mind, being themselves and finding they've struck a chord with lots of people out there with similar views.

Somehow, the audiobook version seems to have more impact for me than if I'd decided to read the book. Hearing Jack Dee telling his own story is brilliant - like having a seat at one of his stand up routines that just happens to go on for about 7 hours. Excellent value for money and wonderfully entertaining. The audiobook download is even better - no fiddling with CDs and instant chapter access when you pause it. Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jack of all trades master of comedy, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
This was a very good,funny and frank account of his life. I normally steer clear of biographies as I find them quite dull and always a bit of a let down,but this book has Jack Dee's trademark deadpan humour. I especially found the chapter when he was a motorcycle courier in London very funny as he describes almost in Basil Fawlty style all the things that kept going wrong as he got deeper and deeper into an almost farcical situation.At times for me this book made me laugh out loud.
Amongst the humour Jack seems to have led an unusual life with many strange jobs such as working in an artificial leg factory and delivering incontinence pads for the NHS amongst others.Jack describes often in the book how he drifted from job to job never really knowing what he wanted to do with his life until he stumbled upon the comedy store which after a hard start he eventually found his vocation.A good book not your average autobiography, its much better than that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be an audio book, 13 Jan. 2011
J. Mackie (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
I like Jack Dee a lot, and he's great on "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" on the radio.

I got this book at a present, and sorry but I'm finding it really hard to muster up any enthusiasm to read beyond page 72. I don't find the book funny and it's making me miserable. Maybe I'm turning into Jack Dee !

This really needs to be an audio book. The text is a bit, shall we say, dull, and I'm sure it would be much better coming directly from Mr Dee's own mouth so that the full effect of his grumpy ramblings could be enjoyed the way he meant. For me, his sense of humour just doesn't translate to the page.

However, I reckon it would be a very suitable book to read at the airport when your flight is delayed. You'd then be able to read the book in something approximating Jack Dee's miserable state of mind and get more out of it than I did.

I'm off now to watch "Grumpy Old Men" to cheer myself up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for nothing - a very good read..., 18 Mar. 2010
Funny Little Man (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
Jack Dee's book 'Thanks for Nothing' is a good read and to use a tabloid phrase, genuinely is a 'page turner'. As Jack is a bit of an enigma his book quickly becomes fascinating and quite absorbing as you read about his earlier life and then right up to the moment when he drives down the slip road of the comedians highway!

This book contains some really funny stories and anecdotes, which are written in main using his inimitable dead pan manner but with contrasting more serious parts about his life so far. The only thing I thought was a bit odd was the ending, which stops so suddenly that the back page of the book needs an air bag. This book does break the mould of a traditional autobiography as another reviewer has already eluded to, so is something refreshing in that respect. If you like Jack Dee you will like this book but if you hate the guy buy the book anyway just to be ironic!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Jack Dee : Thanks for Nothing" Autobiography, 14 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
It is a great-read detailing what Jack Dee up-to in his life from when he was born to modern day and how he became relatively successful as a stand-up comedian in eventually "finding his feet".
The chapters are nice, short, humerous and make good, easy and enjoyable reading. Well worth a look!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 13 Dec. 2010
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
Firstly I am impressed that Dee manages to write in a deadpan style which accurately reflects his real voice. I had absolutely no trouble at all imagining him telling me these stories as I read, and as I like Jack Dee, which is why I chose the book in the first place, this really worked for me. I also really enjoyed the unconventional aspects of the autobiography, the fact that it does not start with birth and then trundle along in an uninterrupted narrative to the present day. I loved the episodic nature of the book, the asides,the rants and the dotting back and forth in time. You get the impression that Dee is writing about what has been important in shaping his life, which is of course the most important part of an autobiography. It was funny, thoughtful and well written. In short it was a much superior book to the usual, run of the mill celebrity life stories.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Thanks For Nothing
Thanks For Nothing by Jack Dee (Paperback - 10 Jun. 2010)