5.0 out of 5 stars Gothic Romance
This is Joanne Harris's first novel and is vastly different from the books she is well known for. It's a romantic novel, not slushy hearts and flowers, but a gothic romance filled with vampires and horrific scenes of blood and lust. It's sexy, violent and gruesome, and her writing makes your heart pound with fear. This book is a page-turner and I can't recommend it highly...
Published on 30 Dec. 2007 by kehs

3.0 out of 5 stars "Something inside me remembers and will not forget".
Joanne Harris is perhaps better known for her novel, CHOCOLAT, than for this title, which is her debut. As explained in her author's note to THE EVIL SEED, it was largely due to pressure from her fans which saw to the book being reissued. Her brief discussion of the book is in itself quite interesting - to hear what an established author thinks about their first attempt...
Published on 24 Oct. 2008 by Brida

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Dec. 2014
Excellent

3.0 out of 5 stars obviously a debut, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Evil Seed (Paperback)
yes, a young novelist who improved so much as she went on. Interesting story but no Anne Rice. More fanciful novels followed with so much better descriptive passages. One of my most favourite story tellers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 13 April 2009
This review is from: The Evil Seed (Paperback)
'The Evil Seed' shows the classic intentions to portray more than one persons view withing the story. Intended to scare her mother, I think Joanne Harris has done well.

At first it took me a while to realize that there was more that one view in this book as like many of Harris's books they are only represented by small images, well after my revelation I understood this book and loved it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Evil Seed (Paperback)
I was looking forward to this book as I did enjoy Chocolate but was very disappointed.You could tell it was her first book .One of the few books that I gave up trying to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 13 Nov. 2011
C. Atkinson (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Evil Seed (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoy any Joanne Harris book and this lived up to my expectations. Will definately be buying Sleep Pale Sister which is the only one I haven't read yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely her first, 7 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Evil Seed (Paperback)
The author has advanced a lot in her story telling with her later books. This one's a good start but does not have the same ease of turning the pages.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have remained dead and buried, 24 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Evil Seed (Paperback)
I really like Joanne Harris's writing, and have read all her novels and short stories. She always turns out an exciting , thrilling page turner with plenty of twists and turns along the way. Magic and charms featuring within the stories as they unfold. But the evil seed is different it was written when the author was 23. I feel that this book lacks the thrill of all the other books. The characters were not explored enough and lack any proper substance. But having said that the beginning of the novel started out promising enough. The middle section does not appear to go any where and the end is clumsy and akward and at times confusing. The two narractives just dont seem to work or flow like Joanne Harris's later work. Im not knocking Joanne Harris's first effort as an author but I feel the publishers should have listened to the author who was reluctant to reissue the title. Any new readers to Joanne Harris's works should read the exellent and sublime Chocolat or the chilling and creepy Gentlemen and players then they would not be disppointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars PANTS!, 23 Jan. 2013
SDee (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Evil Seed (Kindle Edition)
I'm sorry I would like to be polite about this book, but it really is Pants!
Joanne herself is possibly the harshest critic.She doesn't seem to rate it very highly and we should all respect that and leave it be.
The book was buried in the past and rightly so! The only shame is that it got dug up!
None of the characters are likeable and it is possibly the worst vampire story I have ever read (-and I assure you I've read some rubbish!)Yes this was even worse than 101 Tips for Traveling with a Vampire! At least that was amusing.

Why am I so bitter? because I wasted part of my life reading this, in the hope that it would get better and it didn't!

2.0 out of 5 stars nothing special, 29 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Evil Seed (Paperback)
I read this book because i loved the others of joannes harris and i have to say it is not at all like the others...little bit disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing !, 28 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Evil Seed (Paperback)
I have enjoyed all Joanne Harris's other books but I was very disappointed with this one.
In fact I didn't finish it as I found it extremely unpleasant, not just the vampires but cannibalism as well !
Don't bother with this if you enjoyed her other novels.
I don't think they should have reprinted this, just let it be forgotten.

The Evil Seed
The Evil Seed by Joanne Harris (Paperback - 11 Sept. 2008)