5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, easy to read, perfect for holidays or long flight
I read all the Shopaholic series. This one is nothing new but the same funny stories. I really recommend this book if you are looking for an easy reading. Perfect for holidays or a long flight. Indeed, I took it on a recent 16 hours fligth and I readed all in one way! Thank you Sophie Kinsella!
Published on 7 May 2011 by Maria

2.0 out of 5 stars Something missing in this book
Published on 28 Sep 2010 by H. Andrews

2.0 out of 5 stars Something missing in this book, 28 Sep 2010
H. Andrews - See all my reviews
I had this book on preorder as I had recently finished reading all the previous shopaholic books in order, one after the other and wanted to read this one straight after. This one is good, its just, I don't know, something I cant put my finger on. Maybe the series has had its day. I wasnt gripped to this one like Sophie's earlier books and I found myself skim reading parts of it as I was getting bored. It didnt have the dept that the other books in the series had and I thought Sophie could have made more out of the 'Mini' character. Parts of the story were a bit 'samey' as features in her other books (namely the party) and parts of seemed a bit far fetched, for instance, when her parents moved into the rental property in London. This was my least favourite of Sophies works so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected at all, 27 Sep 2010
This book is alright as chick lit goes, but it is no better than heaps of other offerings out there. This is really disappointing, as Sophie Kinsella usually does produce something which is far better than the norm in this genre.

The problem in a nutshell is that Becky is no longer someone I can relate to. She is supposedly happily married but yet she manages not to communicate about anything important with her husband. He, nonetheless, seems to adore her. One wonders why, if they are such a perfect couple, she feels unable to tell him when his mother calls her or when she has lost her job, and he feels unable to tell her how he feels about being a parent or about having practically accepted an overseas job offer without even consutling her (of course she is THRILLED- like you would be, not.)

And, as she behaves in increasingly erratic (and, to me, annoying) ways, he just "looks quizzically" at her, or his mouth "twitches slightly". I am getting tired of those lines as well.

Becky used to be a kind and endearing person. Her contribution to the sum of human happiness in this book seems mainly to be to help women hide their excessive purchases from their husbands. Now THAT is really going to help you sleep easy at night.

Oh yes, she is mother to a two year old, but, although Minnie seems to be very annoying in many ways, Becky never has to deal with preparing toddler food, scheduling her life around a nap, a wetting accident, waking in the night, or anything that normal 2 year olds do. Minnie can even party until the early hours at Luke's birthday - just like real life, not.

I know that chick lit is not supposed to be like real life. It is escapism, but, to appeal to me, it should have at least a thread of real life in it. That is what makes it funny. But this book is really not all that funny at all.

Danny reappears, behaves badly, and is forgiven (presumably because he is now more succesful and famous than ever and what can be more important than being rich and famous?)

Elinor reappears, still behaves like she has a socialisation disorder and, it is hinted, may be ill (and about to die and leave all her money to Becky I suppose? More shopping coming up in the next book then?)

There also seem to be more and more brandnames splashed about in this book. Even though I have really enjoyed Becky's previous shopping exploits, I am just downright tired of why she "has to" have a new Valentino dress when it is made abundantly clear that she cannot find rooom for the unworn clothes she already owns. What is charming about this? (I began to suspect that people may actually be paying to have their brands mentioned in these books. The imaginary brands of previous books have mysteriously disappeared.)

Towards the end of the book Becky has an encounter with someone who suggests (not before time) that she may have a serious problem with her shopping habits. I hope the next book (I am sure there will one, no matter what) deals with her facing up to this, finding her inner Becky and being nice again, but, given where she is heading at the end of this book, I wouldn't count on it.

I have never missed a Sophie Kinsella book yet, but I don't think I'll bother with the next one, and I won't be passing this one on to friends like I did with prevous ones either. I wouldn't want them to think I was shallow enough to regard it as anything more than a harmless way to pass the weekend.

3.0 out of 5 stars The film has changed Becky for the worse., 22 Sep 2010
I finally caught up recently with the awful film which altered Becky from being goodhearted, hardworking and fairly responsible in the first book into completely ditzy, irritating and immature and unfortunately this has now infected Kinsella's writing. Becky's character in this is a million miles from the character we could all identify with and love in the first 3 books...I cannot imagine this Becky paying her way on a flatshare without complaints or excuses, cleverly helping her neighbours get back their money from a sharp practising insurance company, bravely and hilariously going for a job as a fund manager, or trying however disastrously to clear her debts. This Becky has completely regressed to the point where she is not even funny and unfortunately her child is just like her.

I can still laugh out loud at my dogeared copies of Secret Dreamworld, Abroad and Ties the Knot, and this one raises only a few smiles. Kinsella seems now to be writing for the American market so it's a rather unbelievable picture of the British which reminded me of a romcom starring Hugh Grant. Everybody's rich, everybody owns huge houses/stately homes/or doesn't need to work (much). There is nobody to identify with or like in this, I found it more irritating than amusing when Becky is aghast at having to wear all her clothes 3 times before buying any new ones when for most of us especialy in these times 300 times is the norm. Even her mother I found annoying for the first time when she's appalled at the thought of having to go to a pound shop and not spending 4 on a jar of jam. I even disliked Luke for the first time, who comes across as really self and work obsessed and actually obnoxious. As for the plot it's several strands some of which peter out towards the end, and instead of Becky having to really use her brains to get out of a mess like she has done before...surprise! she gets bailed out again.

The writing is as fast paced as ever and it's fine if you're in the mood for something brainless to take your mind off current reality but I can't say just how disappointed I am that a genuinely funny and cut above the average chick lit series has mutated into something so banal. Becky is set up to go to Hollywood next which should suit her new character down to a tee. I'm glad I read this from the library...I shall have to think long and hard about even buying the paperback next year. What a shame.

I reread Kinsella's Can You Keep a Secret which is still as funny as ever with a very endearing and likeable heroine. Come on Sophie, get back to a bit of realism for the next one, and hopefully I can give you 5 stars again.

2.0 out of 5 stars One too far, 2 Oct 2011
I have to agree with most of the other reviewers here. Kinsella should have ended this series with the last book. This was way to far-fetched and farcical and I found myself getting irritated. It wasn't about a Mini Shopaholic at all. Sorry Sophie, I read to the end because I wanted to know what happened but I felt let down. Your readers know you are better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, easy to read, perfect for holidays or long flight, 7 May 2011
This review is from: Mini Shopaholic (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best :o(, 25 Nov 2010
C "readaholic" (FARNBOROUGH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love the shopaholic series, but I have to say I was a bit dissappointed with this one. Minnie just seems a total pain in the backside and Becky just seems like a loon, Luke is a work obssessed bore.

I love Kinsella and I do have all of her books, just was a little let down with this one, sorry :o(

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the standard, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Mini Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 6) (Paperback)
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the other shopaholic series but this was one too many. Becky's child is spoilt and Becky is still very irresponsible. In some instances she was being plain immature, what mother writes to santa claus along with her daughter? It was ridiculous. It was quite boring and I just read to the end for the sake of it. The fact that Elinor's heroic behaviour was never revealed made the ending seem unsatisfactory. I hope Kinsella doesn't write another book in this series. She has used Becky to the limits and I don't want to see more of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh darn - does this mean that there are no more Shopaholic books, 5 Aug 2013
This is funny and sweet and great and .... I just love it. How much will that little girl owe by the time she is 18 :-). Just so funny. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, 25 July 2013
Another awesome shopaholic book, I have loved the, all so far and loved this one too, very funny, I recommend this to anyone who loves these books

1.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING, 31 Jan 2013
Not as funny as the others..... a little too over the top in the portrayal of Becky ( not a believable character anymore)... I remember her as being quirky, funny and driven .... Here she seems a totally babbling TWIT . I also have too say the title didn't really suit the book it was less about Mini and more about ... Well nothing really it was sadly a let down after the others which is a shame as I really laughed out loud with them but here not so much.... Maybe Becky and Co have had their 15mins of fame

Mini Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 6)
Mini Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 6) by Sophie Kinsella (Paperback - 21 July 2011)
5.59