Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 April 1999
As a man, I can honestly say that reading Germaine Greer's book is an eye-opener! I'd recommend it to any open and thinking man; she delves behind many of the issues affecting the lives of women (and men!) in today's society - the so-called "right to abortion" is brilliantly shown up as a sop thrown to women by a patriarchal system bent on denying them the resources which would enable them to exercise REAL choice, and "girl power" is hilariously sent up as girls settling for equality in the guise of the worst of laddishness. Buy it, read it - live it!
on 27 April 2002
Germaine Greer explains fluidly and factually how, despite the enduring efforts of many women, men still retain most of the power and priviledge in our society. But she also gave me, with this book, a real sense of the strength of women, an understanding of what it can mean to be a woman, today, in our culture and hope that one day we may change these things for the better.
on 7 January 2001
In this day and age of so-called "political correctness", it is refreshing to have a book like The Whole Woman come along. Greer is angry, and she's not going to take it anymore! This book is frank, fiesty and surprisingly funny. Nothing nor nobody is immune from Greer's wrath. Whether it's supermarkets, the cosmetics industry or politican's wives(Her take on Cherie Blair alone is worth the price of the book),Greer has something to say and she's going to say it. My only regret was that this book was not longer. I literally did not want it to end.
on 26 March 1999
Germaine Greer's timely book is balm to the soul for all fifty-somethings who were in the vanguard of "women's lib" in the early seventies. Her concise angry denunciation of what passes for feminism now will inspire a whole new generation: my daughter now understands precisely what we were fighting for.
on 7 June 2000
Excellent. A well written book that as well as being historically informative it gives women the tools and understanding to "turn and fight". It gives a cold insight into the world that women live in today, it is harsh and unforgiving, but i wouldn't expect anything less from Germaine Greer. This book made me cry, it also made me laugh, most of all it made me strong. I recommend that every woman should read this book and keep it in place of her bible.
on 25 May 2000
This is a book that all women should read. In short, sharp chapters, Greer highlights all the issues facing women today. It will make you question what it means to be female and how important it is to keep your gender a major part of your identity. It has my full recommendation.
on 9 November 2015
I loved this book and personally think it should be provided in schools to teenage girls, every woman should read this book..
on 18 March 2016
A true feminist classic, bought for my daughters 18th birthday to set her off on the right road towards equality
on 2 March 1999
What can I say? Greer says it all in her characteristically, brilliant witty style. This sequel, the book she refused for thirty years to write, goes well beyond the frontiers of _The Female Eunuch_.
Most of Greer's works, are 'Tomes of Insight' - but this latest is her best yet, and truly describes the 'Whole Woman' - through love, sex, motherhood, lesbianism - work, power, men and so forth. Despite its anger, its black humour and wit, and its scholarly style, it ends on a positive note. In summary, I can only quote Greer's own words: "It's time to get angry again."
on 9 July 1999
I love this book. It is amazing, and, it has to be said, very few people still write anything like this. I don't agree with everything Greer says, but then i don't have to: she is forty years older than me and if her book inspires someone of my generation to write the next 'Female Eunuch' then it will have served its purpose. When I read her first novel, the Female Eunuch, it wasn't so much as a piece of feminist literature as a primary historical source. Yet I feel I owe a debt to Greer and her contemporaries for writing such works and creating the workd in which I grew up.
Many criticisms of The Whole Woman have centred on Greer's discussion of 'Pantomine Dames' and supposed defence of female genital mutilation. Whether or not you agree with her conclusions, I think she raises some extremely valid points surrounding these topics, such as, do we construct the Female negatively (ie. by the omission of a male genitalia rather than the possession of female genitalia?) - and, of course, the post-colonial relationship between Western women and women in developing nations. Whilst I will support any woman, anywhere, in her struggle for recognition and emancipation, Greer points out that it isn't my job to tell her how to do it. The West has been doing that for far too long.
This isn't, to me, a book of answers. It's a book of questions which I haven't heard asked before. My greatest problem with Greer is that I still find her somewhat dismissive of men. After all, men are our lovers and our sons, and I think few women want that to change. But she reminds us that we have a long way to go in reconstructing our society and redefining the gender roles within it to improve life for men and women.
To all those twenty year olds out there: our mothers did a hell of a lot for us. We owe it to them to do a hell of a lot more!!!