4.0 out of 5 stars A touching novel
Published on 21 July 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Pay it forward
I think it's because I love the film so much I didn't get on with the book so much is different but I bet if I had read the book first I would have loved it
Published 14 months ago by Laura Jayne

4.0 out of 5 stars A touching novel, 21 July 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Pay it Foward (Hardcover)
Pay it Forward (recently made into an inferior film) is wonderful and original novel about a less than ordinary boy changing the world for the better. Twelve-year-old Trevor lives with his poor, divorced mother, he has a hard life in which he is almost forced to act grown-up. When a new teacher starts at his school and gives the class a project to come up with an idea that will make the world a better place, Trevor is extremely enthusiastic. He comes up with this idea: do a good deed for three people and then ask them to do a good deed to three people, thus as the chain grows, it ultimately leads to a friendlier place and populace all round. Unfortunately, not everybody is trustworthy and honest.
I really enjoyed his touching novel: the author really makes the idea come to life, as the diverse characters are completely realistic and the plot complex and layered. Many different stories are going on at once, but they all merge into a single idea. This book should be read by all, although it may not change our way of life, but it will give us all hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, thought provoking and entertaining to the end, 15 Dec 2006
I first read this book a few years ago - a chance purchase before going on holiday. The premise sounded interesting - a young school boy with a plan to change the world in a very real way by carrying out three considerable good deeds. The philosophy behind his idea - that you have to 'pay the favour forward' to three more people.

This occurs in the background - the main characters almost oblivious to the effects of his projetc until close to the end. Iin the meantime, the story involves an exploration into many facets of the human condition; families, racism, selflessness, unconditional love, the break-up of the family unit..

I defy anyone to read this book and not be touched by the ending. I finished it in two sittings (and got sub-burnt as a result!!) and I can honestly say the sunburn was worth it.

It is one of those books whose philosophy, characters and impact will last for your lifetime. Oh i and I would give the film 3/5 as it really fails to invoke the emotional response of the book.

A must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, the best book i have read for a very long time !, 9 Sep 2001
This review is from: Pay it Forward (Paperback)
All I wanted to do after finishing this book was phone someone and talk to them about it. I was in a daze and thought that I must do something, talk to someone, anyone!! I only bought the book to see what it was like before I saw the film. It is so easy to read,as it is in small chapters, which is brilliant for a mum like me, but I couldn't put the thing down. I very rarely cry at books but this had my sobbing and smiling at the same time. As you are reading it feels so real, as if you are looking at something that has really happened. It draws you in and won't let you go. Can it be so easy to change the world, but i speak like all the adults in the story who believe that human nature would not let it happen. But how do we know until we try. I have recommended that everyone i know read it and I feel that it should be used in schools to make children think about their actions. All I can say is FANTASTIC.

5.0 out of 5 stars The story might not change your life, but it will enhance it, 27 Feb 2001
This review is from: Pay it Forward (Paperback)
I was a little sceptical before reading this book - it was recommended by a friend, so I gave it a try. Having heard about the film and read the back cover, I was expecting a slice of all-American schmaltz, but was pleasantly surprised!
Catherine Ryan Hyde is an outstanding writer with a real talent for dialogue. Like the shooting stars in this story, the effect this novel has on the reader is to make them feel like they're just the same as everybody else and that we're all connected in some way.
And even though it's sadly unlikely that this book will change your life (or the world), it will make you feel hopeful and touched for some time after you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pay It Forward Moved Me!, 18 Mar 2001
Rebecca Brown "rebeccasreads" (Clallam Bay, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pay it Forward (Paperback)
12 year old Trevor doesn't know that his school assignment has worked, all he can see is failure. Still, something has happened & the idea he thought up has caught on & people are changing.<
While I don't consider myself an Old Grump, I was skeptical about Trevor's idea until I tried it out for myself. My, my! Suddenly there are all sorts of interesting repercussions.
There's a video of a country song that promotes just such an idea as Trevor's & I've always enjoyed the song. Doing good for others is a sappy thing, requiring only that the doer feel good about the doing. That's a subtle side-effect Trevor has to find out. While Pay It Forward is similar to Random Acts of Kindness, because of its exponential potential, Pay It Forward can snowball its way around the globe & it does.
This is the best of reads containing both a healthy dose of humor & tragedy, failure & success. A nifty idea presented in an absorbing way. Made me think a lot, ponder on the philosophy of doing good, making a difference in my lifetime.
A good read, sometimes as predictable as a farmer's almanac & sometimes breathtakingly simple. Highly recommended! Do check out my site for my full review.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story about why we should have faith in humanity, 30 Nov 2000
Lies Van Rompaey (Kessel-Lo, Vlaams-Brabant Belgium) - See all my reviews
Have you ever dreamed of changing the world? Have you ever tried? Too hard? All you need is kindness and a firm belief in the kindness of others. It sounds naïve, I know, but it is true.
Trevor McKinny is 12 when his new social studies teacher offers him a special assignment: come up with a plan to change the world for the better, and do it. His plan is so simple and so direct that it works.
Reading 'Pay it forward' was an exillerating experience. It filled me with hope and happiness. I warmly recommend this book to all the people around the world who refuse to think we are doomed and bound to do evil only.
Read this book and pay it forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favourites, 4 Jan 2008
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pay it Forward (Paperback)
This is an amazing book which is probably written for teenagers. The plot is so stunningly simple. I saw the film and it was rubbish and in no way captured the theme of the book. I can understand that readers of fine literature would find it beneath them but I absolutely loved it and thoroughly recommend this beautiful book. One of the best books I've read and I've read rather a lot of books in my time.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book ever, 22 Oct 2001
ariel@manx.net (Isle of Man, British Isles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pay it Forward (Paperback)
I bought this book because I fell in love with the beautiful cover, but I very quickly fell in love with the story too. It is a very well written book which draws you in from page one. I love the concept of the story and truly do believe also that it could work, it has changed my life and I may be naive but I believe that it could also change the world. I am starting Pay It Forward in my corner of the world and I hope others have been inspired to too. When I fell in love recently I wanted to give him a present that expressed how much I felt for him, I gave him my own copy of this book with a message in the front... and I guess this is a good indication of how well matched we are (but also an indication of how great the book is), he couldnt put it down, loved it and has also started Pay It Forward.
I cant recommend this book enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Book that will change Hundreds of Lives, 25 Jan 2001
This review is from: Pay it Forward (Paperback)
I hadn't even heard of this book untill I saw something on Tv about the movie adapation that had being made. I thought it looked pretty good but had no Idea of how good it was going to be. I went and got a copy of the book at the earlist opertunity after seeing the movie and have just finished it tonight.I must admit that it did take a while for me to get used to the writing style(It is written in first person accounts of the events in Trevor's process of Paying It Forward)but once I got really into the story it wasn't a problem. I still find it totally amazing that someone could come up with an idea for a book that is not only totally engrossing but is an idea that absolutly anyone can do. That is why I believe that if only just a few people take on the idea of Paying It Forward and take a fictional idea and make it real then who know what amazing things could happen. To sum up. Pay It Forward is a book that will grip your interest right from the start and will not let up untill an ending that will leave you wanting to either leap up and cheer or reaching for the kleenex to stop the tears form running down your face. But however this wonderful book makes you feel,If you feel like I did then I know that your be Paying It Forward!

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to read until I finished it, 6 Feb 2001
This review is from: Pay it Forward (Paperback)
Spotted this book on a shelf & decided I liked the sound of the synopsis. I wasn't aware of the film or anything. I found the style a little odd to begin with, but soon found myself gripped - I had to read on. I was entertained, I was informed, I was amused, I was inspired, I laughed, I smiled, I cried - what more can you ask from a story??

Pay it Forward
Pay it Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde (Paperback - 8 Oct 2007)