5.0 out of 5 stars A book so utterly wonderful, I would defy you not to enjoy it!
As a former university history student, I have to say that I knew shockingly little about the times of Ancient and post- Cromwellian Britain. Most history books I read were so dry and, frankly, dull, that I felt my head hitting the page after the first lines of the introduction. This book is totally different, and all the better for it. From reading this book, the author...
Published on 19 May 2008 by A J Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars Amusing but poorly researched
As a History teacher, I'm all for making the subject more accessible and fun. This book tries to be a cross between '1066 And All That' and the Terry Deary 'Horrible History' for adults. Parts of it are very funny indeed and there are some sections which do inform as they entertain. Unfortunately, and I hate to be a killjoy, the whole thing is let down by the sheer...
Published on 4 Nov. 2007 by Markhoni

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud history, 30 Mar. 2014
I often find history books too dry to enjoy although I did manage Simon Schama. This is not hilarious but does make you laugh from time to time which makes it a joy to read. The humour supports the facts rather than getting in the way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Accurate enough. Probably., 8 Feb. 2008
Cheatin' Jockey (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Mr O'Farrell's political underpinnings come through distinctly in this engaging and mildly entertaining skimming of British (and by his own admission mainly English) history. Is it accurate? I don't know. The whole reason I read it is because I didn't do much history during my education, save for the narrow threads that make the standard curriculum. If you're not a Daily Mail reader you will be able to put up with the occasional self indulgent political views and the general coverage will give you many talking points to impress the regulars down the pub (and I dare say answer a few more pub quiz questions). The book also draws many parallels between historic injustices and how in many ways, we really haven't made much of a move forward.

4.0 out of 5 stars A LIGHT-HEARTED ROMP THROUGH BRITISH HISTORY, 24 Mar. 2011
This review is from: An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years Of Upper Class Idiots In Charge) (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book.It gave an interesting overview of British history, and was written with tongue in check. I enjoyed the humourous interjections, and the ability to write.in at time, a put down of the English both funny and true.The ability to laugh at ourselves is a well known English trait.I found lots of the postscripts interesting and amusing, and surprisingly they were true.With all the revisionist views going round, it was enjoyable to read English history as you believed it happened, and it certainly covered a great deal of material
I would recommend this book to give you a broad and interesting view of British history over the last 2000 years,and even scope to follow up particular topics that grab your interest.Good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read the hard back several years ago and loved it and now re-reading on my new Kindle and ..., 29 Aug. 2014
I read the hard back several years ago and loved it and now re-reading on my new Kindle and enjoying it just as much. As my OU studies taught me a number of years ago, history is very much a subject formed by those writing the accounts of the day and who they were writing it for therefore even the most accurate history book may not be recording events as they really happened but recording someone's version of it - what John O'Farrell captures is an entertaining summary of key people and events that shaped our history. It is amusing, easy to read, and provides some fascinating little snippets of information relating to terms we use today. Give it your kids to read if they say they don't like History - this may change their mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and educational, 18 Feb. 2014
I love history and I also like a good laugh, this book hits the spot on both areas. It is the sort of writing that I can give my son to read and know he will also chuckle and learn something at the same time. Brilliantly written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty take on history, 27 April 2014
B. B. Hunt (near London, UK) - See all my reviews
If only some, not necessary all, politicians were as interesting and funny as John O'Farrell. Really amusing in how he deals with history by putting things in context. Of course, it really is one damn thing after another!

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and highly amusing - a hit, 18 Feb. 2014
C. Elmore (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought as a present for a non-British friend who is a devotee of our country's history and he LOVED it. He described it as an updated and more sophisticated version of 1066 and All That. Can't wait to borrow it !

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny as he thinks, 4 Aug. 2008
SallyH (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
On the face of it, this seemed like a good idea. A history of Britain by the man who wrote Things Can Only Get Better - bound to be funny and informative, yes? I thought so as I handed over my money.

Unfortunately, the funny gets in the way of the informative. The little gags, very amusing at first, become irritating after a couple of chapters. What could have been an excellent informative read becomes a choppy series of snippy little jokes as Mr O'Farrell shows us yet again that he can put comic one-liners into anyone's mouth. And that's really all the humour is: imagined conversations and asides. It would (and does) work beautifully in a television or radio sketch, but on page after page it's wearisome and distracting.

If you want readable information with humour, read Bill Bryson instead. If you want laugh-out-loud John O'Farrell on the history of England, read Things Can Only Get Better.

5.0 out of 5 stars i myself never enjoyed history very much, 30 Mar. 2015
A genius way to deliver history. I myself never enjoyed history very much, or at least the way it was taught. Had my teachers used this book as a style for delivery, not only would I have retained far more information, I may even have been inspired to take the subject up as a living.

Brilliantly funny, entertaining and informative at the same time. Takes you through all the major happenings recorded throughout history, sprinkled with humour and dry wit. Loved it. And would highly recommend this book to anyone with even the slightest wiff of an interest in history.

3.0 out of 5 stars I just don't get it.., 24 Feb. 2015
Most of the reviews are positive about this book but I'm afraid I just don't get the humour. To me it is lame, silly and baffling though Mr O'Farrell has obviously given pleasure to many of his readers. I gave up just after the joke about a Celtic warrior regretting throwing his weapons away on Saturday morning because the Romans invaded Britain on Momday (?!) which is typical of the flavour of the humour. I have two regrets. The first is I wasted money on this and second that the Romans didn't get to invade Ireland and slaughter his ancestors. Only joking!

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›