4.6 out of 5 stars4,490
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 June 2016
Superbly written and engaging throughout the story, a great book for any child's bookcase.
on 25 June 2016
Excellent read, I read the book after watching the film. Both good.
on 24 June 2016
What a fascinating story and film set - I can review this movie several times.
on 23 June 2016
I enjoyed this book but it is so different from the books I normally read. I am now going to watch the video of it.
on 22 June 2016
A wonderful, life changing book. I couldn't put it down. It was a story I will never forget and rates on my top reads along with Khalad Housini books.
on 19 June 2016
What a moving story this is. Well-written and very evocative of wartime Germany.
on 15 June 2016
This book is narrated by death.

The story follows a 13- year old girl called Liesel. Her parents have been sent away and now she is living with new foster parents in Germany during WW2. She loves book but has difficultly reading them. Her foster father, Hans, starts helping her to read while most books are being burnt by the Nazi's. Also, Liesel and her family have to hide a Jewish man ,called Max, in their living room.

I decided to do my first review on my blog of my favourite book of all time, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It is a beautiful, complex, outstanding novel. It had me captivated throughout the whole book. The writing, personally for me, is the best writing I have ever seen. It was so elegant and meaningful. Every page included a quote you could never forget. As the book, is told by death it shows you the perspective of almost a bystander. Death is witnessing everything happening, then telling the reader. It is also ironic seeing as Death was working so much during WW2. You do not see books all the time narrated by death.

The book is set in Nazi Germany. I love reading historical fiction as I find it so fascinating to witness the history. In the book, we get the perspective of history through Liesel's eyes. This is great because we get to understand that this young girl is confused about what is happening around her. She does not understand why the Nazi's are burning books or where her parents have vanished too. We follow her in finding out the truth.

The characters in the novel are another strong point. They portrayed as human beings so well as they have flaws as well as good attributes. They have many layers. Liesel's relationships with the people around her are also important. She has a very strong one with her foster father, Hans, who teaches her to read and write. She forms a bond with Max, the Jewish man who she hides in her basement, as they discuss books and writing.

In the end, The Book Thief is a life changing novel. It made me see so many new things in the world. You will form such a love for the characters as you see them grow while facing the terrible thought that they are in war. It will leave you hanging onto your breath and sometimes but grateful for what you have at others.
Rating 5/5
on 14 June 2016
Very good quality and price. Quick delivery.
on 13 June 2016
Ok, I might be a bit biased as I did not havre high expectations when I started reading... But this book was amazing! I loved every moment of it, from the characters to the plot and theme of this book. I think that The Book Theif is a must read!
on 12 June 2016