4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable if not entirely memorable.
I actually retrieved this book from my bookshelf thinking that it was one of those many books I have purchased over the years but never had time to read. Rather ironically, considering the subject matter of the book, I now find myself commuting to work by train, and have time to catch up on my reading. It was not until about a dozen or so pages into it that I found myself...
Published on 25 May 2007 by Philip Vincent

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing.
I love Ben Eltons books. When shopping for holiday books i found it hard to decide between this one and 'This other eden'. I'm so glad i bought the latter! I went on holiday to find this avaliable on the campsite to borrow. It was ok, not the worst book i have ever read but i had such high expectations. Only the last few pages of the book reminded me of the Ben Elton i...
Published on 4 Sept. 2004 by Mayumiwinn

4.0 out of 5 stars A top crass book by a top class author, 24 Jan. 1999
This review is from: Gridlock (Paperback)
This book has everything I could possibly want from a book. I has fantasy, sex, action, conspiracy and great laughs. I would recommend this book to anybody who has ever laughed, I can guarantee you will laugh again whilst reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful, enjoyable, relaxing and entertaining read., 28 Dec. 1999
This review is from: Gridlock (Paperback)
This book was a series of many twisting turning events, provoking thought! He lets you only see part of the whole at any one time, and you have to stick with it to fully appreciate the genius that went into writing this. In spite of this, it is a relaxing, enjoyable read.
It is a long book, but it is worth it. As with much of Ben Elton's material, it is not only designed to be funny, but also informative. Much of "Gridlock" is very insightful. The leading character, as he is not physically like Mr. Elton, has an insight that I would have assumed that would have only come from a person in a similar predicament. But he is only one example of this skill, and "Gridlock" is full of other, similar examples.
The book is slow to start, but if it had started any quicker, then the whole suspense would be lost, and the character personalities would not be explored. Ben's sharp wit means that the characters feel very "real". The middle of the book is very much giving the plot some depth. It adds under-currents and over-tones that seem almost irrelevant at the time. Then the conclusion leaves you guessing and re-guessing as to what is going to happen. This adds tension, confusion Mr. Elton does not leaving any "lose ends", which when considering the plot, is an impressive job. He even brings in undercurrents at this late stage, and still deals with them admirably!
Definitely a good buy, if you like your thought being challenged and you like a successful mix of intelligent and crass humour!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite funny, but let down, 18 Oct. 1999
This review is from: Gridlock (Paperback)
This is the first Ben Elton book I have read and therefore was going to be the last, although I am considering reading Popcorn. Yes, it did have funny satire and a more than half decent plot, but I felt it was let down In the ending. Call me old fashioned but I prefer endings to these sort of stories that are "happy" and certainly not left "up in the air". This is a "turnoff" I have found with Ben Elton novels, the ending to the tv version of Stark was also dissapointing. In addition to this I fail to see why it was needed to kill off the hero half way through the book. I'll give you one more chance Mr Elton.

1.0 out of 5 stars How can people give this 5 stars?!?, 23 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Gridlock (Paperback)
I first read 'The First Casualty' and thought it was fantastic, a compelling read. I was therefore expecting great things from his other books. Much to my dismay, I found 'Gridlock' REALLY boring. I kept on reading it through sheer willpower, reading it quickly and just thinking "keep going, don't give up". I felt proud and relieved when I finished it simply because I hadn't given up.

If you value your life, don't waste your time reading this book (or any of his other books for that matter, they're just as bad). I find it really strange that 'The First Casualty' is so different, as I've said, that is a fantastic book. Really odd!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - well, the first half at least!, 20 Dec. 1999
This review is from: Gridlock (Paperback)
I have to admit that, as I only read half the book, there is the slight possibility that this book improved in the second half. But I became so irritated by the soap-box rantings of Elton that deviated from the plot to such an extent that I got bored stiff, and the book became the first I have EVER put down without finishing. I am a great fan of Blackadder and the Young Ones, so this was a great disappointment. Does anyone want a free second-hand copy?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the fact that all Ben's books are completely different, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Gridlock (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put it down. Like the fact that all Ben's books are completely different. Haven't read a duff one yet although 'High Society' is my favourite so far. David.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative and hilarious, but still serious., 25 Oct. 1998
This review is from: Gridlock (Paperback)
This book is an artistic piece of excess creativity. Ben Elton chooses a very interesting angle to focus on a problem of major concern, the unpleasant consequences of traffic in London. The story is exciting and funny. A book which I certainly recommend you to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book., 11 Jan. 1999
This review is from: Gridlock (Paperback)
All of Ben Elton's books are great, but Gridlock is definitely one of the best. It takes a subject as serious as traffic congestion, and makes it funny. The characters are great, and the plot will keep you on the edge of your seat until the last page. If you buy this book, you won't be able to put it down.

1.0 out of 5 stars boring!, 28 Sept. 2003
Claire, Lulu "Lulu" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gridlock (Paperback)
being a fan of ben elton i was so disappointed with this book! all but 3 pages was boring and not entertaining at all! sorry ben not impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Gridlock (Mass Market Paperback)
Ben Elton at his best - good story, humorous and could not be put down.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a laugh.

Gridlock
Gridlock by Ben Elton (Paperback - 2 Jan. 2006)