5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read
Published on 20 April 2009 by Mr. P. Datta

1.0 out of 5 stars Godfather III, Rocky V...Dial M for Merde
I recently found this buried at the bottom of a storage box along with books that I was going to give away. Having enjoyed both `A Year in the Merde' and `Merde Happens' (`Merde Actually' was okay but didn't really grab my attention) I thought I'd read it again thinking surely it couldn't be the total pile of `merde' I thought it was originally.

God, was I...
Published on 12 April 2011 by Another second Generation Irishman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read, 20 April 2009
Mr. P. Datta "Pritthijit" (Stockton on Tees, Teesside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
I have completed the series and equally enjoyed each novel in the series. Dial for Merde is another enjoyable read that fills you with endless laughter. The scenery featured in the plot is new and stunning. Previous novels explore the romantic and beautiful city of Paris, but the latest one takes the reader on a delightful journey to the beautiful region of Southern France. This is an area well renowned for its magnificant beaches, islands and some of finest and exquisite French cuisine to taste.

Paul West is the main star of the story. The character never really disappoints readers, as he amuses us with mad adventures . The amusement continues in the fourth instalment with the acquaintance of grand family residing in chateaux, meeting eccentric French folks, chasing after French Mademoiselles, landing in trouble with authorities and wedding fiascos. No wonder the novel is titled merde with all these mishaps. He comes across such as a great and memorable character.

The satirical humour and sparkling characters stand out really well. A new setting sounds a great idea and well appreciated, as it shows different regions of France to appreciate for its beauty. The author is justified to experiment with new ideas as it offers new insights about the French culture. The rivalry between France and England is explored in a hilarious context. The jokes are so funny, as there are misperceptions between each other.

1.0 out of 5 stars Godfather III, Rocky V...Dial M for Merde, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)

God, was I wrong! It's now been consigned to the storage again as it would be unfair to inflict this on anyone else. It is like the painful final part of a series, which like the two films mentioned above should NOT have seen the light of day.

You may think reading this that I'm going to go off on some sarcastic rant but the truth is he's an amusing writer and I really liked the first three in this series. So when I say, I wouldn't want anyone to read this I honestly believe that if they read this first, they wouldn't touch the first three. If you have read the first three then I'd strongly recommend you cut your losses now.

I don't know what happened here. Publishing deadline or something? But it was just so unbelievable it was embarrassing. Spoiler alert: Elodie want to marry some coke-head whose family are old school French with more money than Bill Gates so of course, let's make sure the caterer is English who runs a crappy little tea room in Paris. And he hooks up with a beautiful Marine Biologist who's hell-bent on assassinating the French President. Makes perfect sense!

The rest is some self-indulgent fantasy along the lines of, "I know! I'll turn `Pol Wess' into a James Bond type character and set it in the South of France! That'll be good for a few laugh out loud hilariously wacky japes, scrapes and jams!"

Also a lot of the draw of the first novels was that Stephen Clarke was NOT Peter Mayle. Unfortunately some weird metamorphosis has taken place and he now thinks it's riveting for the reader to listen to him banging on endlessly and drooling over truffles, anchovies and other fresh organic French produce.

I know this is a harsh review. I wish it wasn't as almost much everything else he's written was amusing and nicely done and I'd urge anyone reading this to buy them. It's just this was unbelievably painful to read. Honestly, if you've read the first three then stop there. You'll thank me for it as to be honest, it bored me merdeless!

1.0 out of 5 stars The joke is getting old, 3 Mar 2009
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
A few years ago, Stephen Clarke hit gold with his "A year in the merde", and I was one of the many readers who enjoyed it. Yes, Clarke was the 483rd author to write the same book: young Englishman goes to France and finds that all hot French girls adore young Englishmen. Not true, but it makes for good reading while allowing young guys to dream about it. While Peter Mayle had already written far too many books on the same subject, Clarke took it one step further by being a lot more juicy and funny than others had been before.

Since then, Clarke has written three more books about Paul West and by now, the freshness is long gone. Book 1 was about the culture differences between the English and the French, Paul West, and a lot of hot French girls. Book 2 was about the culture differences between the English and the French, Paul West, and a lot of hot French girls. Book 3 was about the culture differences between the English, the Americans and the French, Paul West, and a lot of hot French girls. It will come as no surprise that this book is about the culture differences between the English and the French, Paul West, and a lot of hot French girls.

In this book, you'll get Paul, Elodie, her dad and some new French girls. All of them are of course hot and all of them adore Paul. Didn't see that one coming...

If you disliked the first book, there is no chance you'll enjoy this one. And even if you liked the first one and thought the second book was fun as well (as I did), by the time you get to the fourth book you've seen it all. A constant parade of hot French girls, Paul West and some excuse for a story. When Clarke wants to publish his fifth book, I hope he writes his second. We've been fed the same first book four times by now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen Clarke at his brilliant best!!!, 15 Sep 2008
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
Loved it- brilliantly witty as always. One of the few authors who make me really laugh out loud, as well as providing loads of giggles throughout the book.

The decriptions of the South of France are gorgeous too, so evocative- I felt like I was really there.

I can thoroughly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious! A must-read!, 20 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
I found this book absolutely hilarious! I am already a fan of the author after reading A Year in the Merde which is equally fantastic. This book actually made me laugh out loud in several parts and I will no doubt be reading another 'Merde' book in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to full form, 24 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
All of Stephen Clarke's books have been good, but the last one (Merde Happens) suffered a bit from not being set in France. However the latest is back there and back to the truly excellent form of "A year in the merde" and "Merde Actually". Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 28 Mar 2011
Graham (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
Having read and enjoyed the first three books in the series, this one was no disappointment.

Like other reviewers, I think getting our favourite characters back onto French soil is a welcome return to form (the previous book is set in the USA). The plot is light and moves quickly but never takes itself too seriously. It's well written and even managed to make me laugh out loud a few times. I'm usually quite good at predicting the twists in books and films, but in this case I really didn't see them coming so full marks for that.

A good book to read when you're glum. It certainly cheered me up anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
I had read 'Merde Actually' and thought I'd try another one in the series and was not disappointed. The story is great and kept me laughing throughout. Definitely a great funny read. Highly recommended especially if you've spent time in France.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday reading. Entertaining and lighthearted., 7 May 2010
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
Another very intertaining tale from Stephen Clarke. Try to read his other books first to get his 'take' on French society.

5.0 out of 5 stars La France!, 13 Jan 2010
E. Bastian (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
Great, Paul West has returned to France in this his fourth Merde adventure. I was pleased as it made for a very entertaining book once again. Still including many beauties around his little finger, many difficult moments and tight corners. However, another laugh out loud LOL book to put a smile on your face. How does he get his washing done? Any ideas? Excellent!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dial M For Merde
Dial M For Merde by Stephen Clarke (Paperback - 23 April 2009)
5.59