5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved it..., 21 Sep 2008
W. H. T. Oostende (Middelburg, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zermatt (Paperback)
I just finished reading Zermat, on my vacation at the coast of Brittany in France this summer. As a preacher's kid myself, I recognized a lot of my own experiences while reading the book. I sometimes had to laugh and cry at the same time. It was so funny, yet so true. Some of my most shameful memories he is able to put into writing; growing up as a preacher's kid. The lies, the false pretense and everything that goes with trying to live the christian life and still longing for the things of 'this world'.
Frank: thank you, thank you, thank you for writing the Becker trilogy. I absolutely loved it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Zermatt - an enjoyable view but not a peak, 25 Oct 2010
This review is from: Zermatt (Paperback)
The second of Frank Schaeffer's comedy fiction trilogy drawing on his own family experiences in a Christian Discipleship centre in Switzerland. Funny, well observed, taking realities just that little step or two further than might have happened - making me laugh out loud frequently. His story handles well everyday realities such as life moods, the beauty of the area in the title, background family histories, saying grace for meals in public, how different can be seen as wrong, and other moral and spiritual aspects of life for Evangelical Americans in multi-cultural Europe. The Christian conversion of the sexually attractive hotel maid is an excellent handling of adolescent fantasy and fears, and had me stopping to wipe laughter tears away. A good read which might could make some Christians think again about how they might to others, and may well disturb any who experienced the reality from which Schaeffer draws his stories.

Zermatt
Zermatt by Frank Schaeffer (Paperback - 1 Jun 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01