5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, page-turning romp
Ram Mohammed Thomas, a poor, 18-year old waiter from the wrong side of the tracks, becomes the biggest quiz-show winner in history, scooping a billion rupee prize in an Indian television programme which goes one better than 'Millionaire'. Unfortunately, the producers don't have the money to pay him, so instead, charge him with fraud. Fortunately, a young lawyer comes to...
Published on 20 May 2005 by Budge Burgess

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I recently saw the film of "Slumdog Millionaire" and, although enjoyable, I didn't feel it deserved all of the praise it had received. Wondering if I'd missed something, I decided to read the book.

The first thing you should know is that the book and the film are very different, the only real similarity being that both deal with a poor boy entering a TV quiz...
Published on 10 July 2009 by Peter Lee

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the book first!, 21 Mar 2009
David Hutchins (Sevenoaks, Kent. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slumdog Millionaire (Paperback)
Should be read before seeing the film as the book has a so much better ending. A very good enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Clever Concept, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Slumdog Millionaire (Paperback)
I came to this with some scepticism, having heard all the hoy palloy and rave reviews of the film which I didn't get to see, but was pleasantly surprised.

This is a very clever concept, written to a formula, but turned out to be all the more intriguing, wanting to know always what was coming next.

It was only when I read comments on the writer's background that I realised that this was a very well educated person. In one way that explains his clever juxtaposition of different experiences, e g he had to read the history to incorporate an incident from the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War; however, at the same time he shows a keen observation of humankind and people of different status within the community.

Finally, it has that magic ingredient of being unputdownable! A rollicking good read, a fantasy based on reality, an escape into a different place and situation from humdrum everyday mundane life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slumdog Millionaire, 26 Feb 2009
P. E. Gadd (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slumdog Millionaire (Paperback)
An excellent read most enjoyable I didn't want to put it down. I throughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 May 2009
This review is from: Slumdog Millionaire (Paperback)
The book was supposed to be used but it was new. Excellent book and very quick delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Q & A (Paperback)
A rubbish title for the most brilliant and exciting book of the decade.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caused me physical pain!, 5 Nov 2011
Pros and Cons (Seoul, South Korea) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slumdog Millionaire (Paperback)
This novel caused me physical pain. Not because I was moved by the hero's various plights, but because the author's style is so awful, his dialogues so lumbering, and his plotting so contrived.

Q&A has been translated into 40 languages. Clearly many people love it; and it has got this one thing going for it: it has a good story. Somehow, in spite of all its failings, it still works. Weirdly, although at times I hated it so much that it made me swear in disbelief, I still wanted to finish it. It is three hundred pages long, and I finished it in three days; so it does have something going for it. I hated the writing, but was still compelled to read it. This is a good read that is badly written.

It is terribly written though, the author is blatantly amateur - this is someone who has one idea for a story, and has written it up. But, underneath all the bad writing, it is basically a decent story, even though some of the plotting is artificial.

I thought about giving this two stars, but the cons definitely outweigh the pros on this one. I'm reading the epilogue now, and my overwhelming feeling is that this book has been written by a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 15 May 2005
By A Customer
Vikas Swarup's Q&A is an amazing, and if I may say so, an audacious book. The plot looks simple enough but is actually quite difficult to translate into a book. That Swarup has been able to pull it off is not only a tribute to his storytelling talents but also to his ability to craft a very inticate novel which conforms to the conventions of a quiz show and yet is a corker of a read. I cannot imagine this is a debut novel. I would recommend it to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, tedious, marvellous, wow!, 19 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Q & A (Paperback)
I Have swung from bored out my wits to intensly gripped. Good in small doses, for me of around 15 minutes to an hour. Some lovely writing and storyline, occasionally let down with some childish prose. I recommend this wholeheartedly to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Slumdog millionaire book, 27 Feb 2009
J. Shields (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slumdog Millionaire (Paperback)
Usually buy the book of a film first then enjoy the film more...Loved the film

3.0 out of 5 stars film has turned the mediocre novel into a million dollar winner, 27 Jan 2009
V. Joshi "reader" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Q & A (Paperback)
A mediocre book but with a fantastic theme. In the right hands this has been turned into the much talked and liked film. Anyone who has grown in India in the 70-80s will recognise the heavy Bollywood inspired imagery and story line (Zanzir, Deewar, Meena Kumari, Guide, Amar Akbar Anthony etc...). But still hats off to the author for thinking along these lines and many hats off to Beaufoy for writing a fantastic sript and Danny Boyle for his direction.. the actors have done so well esp the children.....

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›

Q &  A
Q & A by Vikas Swarup (Paperback - 1 Feb 2006)